Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Battery warning light just came on whilst driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lccl148

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4
Battery warning light just came on whilst driving

Hi guys, battery warning light has just come on and stayed on whilst driving home from work. For the past week I've had a whining noise from under the bonnet and suspected the alternator could be on its way out. Whining has now stopped but light has come on.
Can anyone confirm my suspicions and tell me how to go about replacement from scratch please? (I've never had the acoustic cover off to date...!) How much am I likely to be looking at for a part exchange recon unit? I have a good motor factors nearby that I hope to be able to source one through. As always, any advice would be gratefully received. Model is a D3 57 plate 2.7 XS.
 I'm off to a party with the RNLI tonight. They may not get together very often, but when they do, they certainly know how to push the boat out.  
Post #12331528th Feb 2014 11:45 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

How you fix what is clearly an alternator death is dependent on where you are in the country as different users use different site sponsors to sort their alternator issues. You haven't put your location so I cannot advise who you should contact. Rolling Eyes

For mailorder, try using boringoldgit he can be found here:http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-boringoldgit.html, he's a site sponsor and supplier of all things D3 related, as is The Large One he can be found here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/member-the-large-one.html
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #12331548th Feb 2014 11:52 am
Simonstarski

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If you've still got a fan belt in place it sounds like the alternator. It's the season for it, everyone driving about with high loads on. Seats, fans, lights, wipers, it'll show up any weakness.

Advanced factors on here do brand new units ave a very reasonable price. That where I just got mine. I didn't fancy a recon unit.

It's been said you should also get the battery on charge as soon as you can. A blown alternator will soon drag the life out of your battery pushing up the repair costs.

As for fitting there is a picture guide on another thread. It's fiddly but doable in an hour or so if you get stuck in.

Good luck Thumbs Up
 Narpy Grill, tinted windows, Smooth leather wheel (TLO Group buy), ACM fitted (thanks TLO), Rear door loom and Row 2 & 3 audio switch upgrade, RRS 20" wheel change, 285 Cooper LTZ's Sat Nav Mod (until I get a Faultmate upgrade), Front & Rear lamp guards. 4x4 screen now switched on - Woody32, Follow me home reverse lights - woody32, Auto release EPB - Woody32. Off Road Navigation - Woody32. Remap + EGR's switched off. Full chassis clean and Waxoyl.  
Post #12331578th Feb 2014 11:58 am
lccl148

Thanks for your response; have found a thread with photo's so will get stuck in. Am in Dartford, Kent, if anyone knows of a decent supplier in the area. See that you recommend a new unit; why the preference over reworked px?
 I'm off to a party with the RNLI tonight. They may not get together very often, but when they do, they certainly know how to push the boat out.  
Post #12332418th Feb 2014 1:41 pm
Simonstarski

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I just figure, the original has done a great job over the past 7 years. Why risk it with a recon unit. Thumbs Up

I also liked that it wasn't a unit exchange so less hassle sending my old one back.
 Narpy Grill, tinted windows, Smooth leather wheel (TLO Group buy), ACM fitted (thanks TLO), Rear door loom and Row 2 & 3 audio switch upgrade, RRS 20" wheel change, 285 Cooper LTZ's Sat Nav Mod (until I get a Faultmate upgrade), Front & Rear lamp guards. 4x4 screen now switched on - Woody32, Follow me home reverse lights - woody32, Auto release EPB - Woody32. Off Road Navigation - Woody32. Remap + EGR's switched off. Full chassis clean and Waxoyl.  
Post #12335409th Feb 2014 12:01 am
lccl148

Just a bit disappointed it's only lasted 42000 miles but, hey ho, I suppose this is the first of the relatively big bills I've had. Mind you, Stealers have just quoted me £1100.00 for service and cambelt change next year. Are they on a parallel planet or is this realistic? If so, I might as well start looking for a low mileage D4 now instead if anybody has a red one up for grabs.....
Post #12335689th Feb 2014 7:16 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I got a recon unit from AlternatorMan on ebay, £155 delivered and fitted it myself last year - no problems since!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #12335709th Feb 2014 8:14 am
oceandriven

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi!

I had the same symptoms as lccl148.

Picked up a "new" (reconned???) Alternator from my local LR Dealer and fitted it.

Now... before the alternator renewal, I would see a voltage display of 14v or 14.5v when getting into the Nav Screen Diagnostics menu (hidden button, 753 code etc.).
With the new alternator, I only ever see 13v max on same display.
I do know that the alternators are "intelligent" and voltage output is determined by a number of factors.

My vehicle definitely doesn't seem to lack starting power or running power so may I just assume the new alternator has decided it only needs to output a lower voltage than the older alternator or should I start worrying that my new alternator may be faulty?

Connecting a multimeter across the battery shows 14.2v when the engine is running so the alternator is charging ok it seems but why is it displaying a lower voltage on the diagnostics screen?

Post #123636213th Feb 2014 9:03 pm
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Regarding reconditioned starter motors or alternators, I worked for Lucas in Birmingham and then it was taken over by Magneti Marelli .
There reconditioned units were brand new bar for the steel body, which was reused, I would always go go for the recon unit.
Which is a lot cheaper, and would have a guarantee.
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #123682414th Feb 2014 6:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Quote:
I would always go go for the recon unit. Which is a lot cheaper, and would have a guarantee.

I believe that this conflicts with recent Land Rover experience - there is an acute shortage of new alternators, as the reconditioned units have been prone to premature failure.

At this time you may have no choice as new alternators are in very short supply - but if you can get one I would jump at it.

See this thread:-

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic107099....alternator

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #123682914th Feb 2014 6:14 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

@oceandriven

The touch screens are known to give a lower reading, if you have 14.2 on the terminals its ok..

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #123683414th Feb 2014 6:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cliveaff

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I did not know of the problems they had with the units, which was said in the last post.
So the problem will be the same with new or reconditioned ones, as the new parts for both will be the same.
 Land Rover Dicovery 3. 5 Seats.
With side Steps, And rubber floor mats and rubber load space cover.
Front and Rear Mud Flaps.
Light Guards.
Engine Re-Map
Alpine Mobile Media Station. With SatNav.
Xenon head lights
Old Man Emu Suspension
Triumph Sprint RS 1050
Discovery 1 300tdi 1995 

Post #123683814th Feb 2014 6:27 pm
oceandriven

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Flack wrote:
@oceandriven

The touch screens are known to give a lower reading, if you have 14.2 on the terminals its ok..

Flack Thumbs Up

Thanks! Smile

Post #123705314th Feb 2014 10:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >