Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

(SOLVED) Steering Wheel Shaking when Accelerating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Xrover1

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
(SOLVED) Steering Wheel Shaking when Accelerating

I have an 06 LR3 HSE with 93,000 mi. I'm in the US so it's a LHD.
When I am accelerating I notice a shake in the steering wheel. Similar to what a warped rotor feels like when braking. It varies in intensity and sometimes it's not noticeable. Lately, It's more pronounced especially when I am really stepping on the Gas Pedal to merge onto the highway. Even under a slight or moderate acceleration I can feel the steering wheel shake. In addition to this problem I have noticed that sometimes the car wants to pull to the right during acceleration.

I am not sure if the Two are related but i would love some feedback from Y'all.

Things I've checked so far are Lug Nuts, Balance and Alignment. The Alignment I'm not 100% convinced is OK as i had a non Land Rover service place check it.
Edit/Delete Message
 2006 LR3 HSE Java Black
Los Angeles, ca 

Last edited by Xrover1 on 9th Feb 2014 7:30 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #118630412th Nov 2013 2:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

My first point of call would be to rule out the tyres....
Had a similar issue previously and the tyre had become slightly oval as the tread had started to delaminate....not obvious at all....tyre had obviously taken a knock at sometime causing internal damage....

If you have the opportunity to borrow a set of rims for an hour or so I'd just try that....if it goes away you know it was them....

Alternatively if you haven't I'd change front to backs to see if the problem displays differently..... Or at least put the spare on the front passenger side to see if that makes a difference.

It would certainly cause all the characteristics you highlight.....and by changing them around costs you nothing!!

Good luck

Post #118632112th Nov 2013 7:54 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Have had similar issues on a previous car, caused by a tyre going oval Thumbs Up

Balanced up perfectly, but vibration through the steering on the car. Balanced it 3 times before I spotted the big flat spot. Once swapped onto the back, all was well Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #118632312th Nov 2013 7:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Xrover1

Good thing I was cruising the forum tonight. I saw your replies. I never got email notifications after your replies. Anyway, The tires are brand new and the problem has been occurring before the new tires and after the new tires. Wheels are straight and wheels and tires are balanced.
 2006 LR3 HSE Java Black
Los Angeles, ca 

Post #11966803rd Dec 2013 5:30 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Are you running standard tyres or all terrains? The tyre would still be my first port of call....
Have you watched the tyre rim combo on the balancing machine to see if they are running true... You may have unknowingly damaged a rim and ovalled the wheels...

Alternatively I would be feeling for play in the wheel bearings by jacking the wheels up in turn and feeling for movement. When off the ground use a pry bar under the tyre to lift the weight off each axle .....you may feel movement in the hub ....alternatively get someone to do that whilst watching /feeling the suspension knuckles or ball joints... You may have excessive wear in one of those which could in extreme circumstances replicate your issues...

Post #11966853rd Dec 2013 7:57 am
Xrover1

I'm still not getting an email notification when I get a reply to my posts. Very frustrating!

Anyway.. To answer your questions Farmer Chalk.
I am running AT tires which are new. Been having the same problem prior to the tire change. I checked the Wheel Bearings for play and they are ok. I had the Ball Joints and Knuckles checked and they are also ok.

The Inner Tie Rods were bad and i replaced those a few days ago but I noticed the problem again just today.
 2006 LR3 HSE Java Black
Los Angeles, ca 

Post #120271515th Dec 2013 6:34 am
incubus13

Bulgaria 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi! I have the same problem on my 07 Disco3 XS. Try this: engine off, shake the steering wheel left-to-right-to-left-to-right (short, fast moves, just few inches). St.wheel must be unlocked. In my case I can clearly hear a knocking. I was told it is the steering rack. Big Cry
Still investigating due to price. Whistle

P.S. Excuse my English!
P.S.2 Did you find out what was your problem?

Post #12330978th Feb 2014 9:55 am
Xrover1

No Knocking or clicking when I tried it before. Strange enough, I found a puddle of fluid under my car yesterday after leaving it parked on a friends driveway for a week. looked to be under the center area of the steering rack area. I'll need to check further. My car has been pretty much leak free since I have owned it. (5 years)
 2006 LR3 HSE Java Black
Los Angeles, ca 

Post #12333638th Feb 2014 6:52 pm
renoclio255s

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, it could be your CV joints or drive shafts. To check turn the steering wheel hard left and drive in a circle slowly, then turn hard right and drive again. If you hear a clicking noise then is more than likely to be the problem.

If it isn't, then you may need to have the front differential checked. The 4 gears, ie 2 sun and 2 planet, inside sometimes break up.

I hope this helps.

Post #12338909th Feb 2014 7:12 pm
Xrover1

Issue Solved.

Last week I discovered that my inner Tie Rods were bad. I replaced them and the shaking problem went away.
 2006 LR3 HSE Java Black
Los Angeles, ca 

Post #12339029th Feb 2014 7:29 pm
incubus13

Bulgaria 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I got oil on my left steering gear boot.

Post #123415710th Feb 2014 7:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >