Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Fault code P2288 ?(NOW FIXED)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Your diagnosis is exactly what the Indy said this morning Mike.
Looks like I'll be receiving a nice bill before new year. Rolling Eyes
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #157632312th Dec 2015 10:12 am
Voodoochook

Australia 

When you get P2288 you do not need to change the high pressure fuel pump, we had this fault and it got worse and worse untill the car just faulted and went into limp mode, a touch of the accelerator would make the car stall out. Funny how this starts happening after a service. It took a long time to figure out what was going on but it has been proved that installing the return lines the wrong way around on the fuel filter is the cause, if you look at the connectors on the fuel fillter you will notice that one has a tiny hole and this one should connect to the pipe that goes back to the tank, if the return from the injectors is connected to the connection with the small hole the pressure will build and eventually stress the spring in the control valve in the high pressure pump and cause fault p2288 to appear, just swap the connections on the fuel filter and run the car, the spring fixes itself and the fault never appears ever again. I just wonder how many fuel pumps have been changed over fo no reason. Yes i changed the fuel pump to start with but the fault started to return after 100 klm driving, changing the lines cured it.

Post #178095419th Feb 2017 10:27 pm
shanegtr

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Injector control pressure too high. Seen this fault a few times, and net result every time has been a new HPFP

Any tips for fault checking with this error? Just started seeing this a few days ago. I've changed the fuel filter and it hasnt come back since.

Post #183055726th Jun 2017 8:03 am
Voodoochook

Australia 

When this fault pops up it is a blockage in the fuel filter ot fuel line exiting the injector rail, just check the connections to the small pipes on the filter, the one with the tiny hole should not connect to the injector rail flow back or it causes the fault, the pressure sensor can also cause this fault, it is never the fuel pump, even though the dealers will tell you that it is... it is 99% the fuel filter or pipes connected to the wrong connection on the filter.

Post #183094627th Jun 2017 2:33 am
shanegtr

The connections as far as Im concerned are all ok - Im leaning towards a blockage in the fuel filter at the moment. I'm going to open up the filter for a look when I get some time
Filter had been on for around 20,000km, but theres every chance I could have picked up some dirty fuel somewhere.

Post #183094827th Jun 2017 2:53 am
Voodoochook

Australia 

Water can cause fuel flow problems, could be wax also. There is always a long shot that the outlet electric regulator on the hpfp the slide valve gets stuck but they can be freed by pulsing it with battery voltage and swapping the polarity to smack the valve both ways. I have also fixed stuck valves by putting methylated spirits through the pump and wiggle every moving part.

Post #183095027th Jun 2017 4:09 am
lake_District

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I now have this fault fir the past 6 weeks. The old fuel filter was fitted a year ago, and the car has done c6000 miles with no issue until a month ago. So specting the fuel filter I first drained this, no sign of any water. Then fitted a new one from Bearmach. Still same problem.

I am going to try and clear the fuel lines between the HPFP and the fuel filter.

Once it's started after this hiccup it runs fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks all

Post #188914411th Dec 2017 7:00 pm
lake_District

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I managed eventually to disconnect the 2 pipes between the fuel pump and the fuel filter. Seems to be a blockage on the return pipe to the filter, cleared this and all appears fine now, no error codes.

Happy days!

Post #189268521st Dec 2017 10:28 am
walsie

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

ive got these exact same symptoms and been directed to this thread from my initial thread, car wont start at first turn of key, it does fire but dies immediately. Once running the slightest tap on the throttle and the car will die. If i set off too soon without letting it warm up it will throw up the engine system fault and special programs off but rectifies itself in a matter of seconds. Once its warm its ok although it will occasionally die if im idle and give it some throttle, the revs just drop and it doesnt recover.

My garage has cleaned the filter and im using Esso Vmax with fuel cleaner additive, might give it a week to see if it cures it.

I am always running it low on supermarket fuel, beyond zero range so i guess ive been asking for trouble Rolling Eyes

Post #191637919th Feb 2018 12:45 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I think you need to replace your fuel filter, it's not possible to clean them as far as I know.
Get a new one, stick it on, see how it goes, it just might cure your problem. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #191653819th Feb 2018 7:25 pm
MatcherMike

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Voodoochook wrote:
When you get P2288 you do not need to change the high pressure fuel pump, we had this fault and it got worse and worse untill the car just faulted and went into limp mode, a touch of the accelerator would make the car stall out. Funny how this starts happening after a service. It took a long time to figure out what was going on but it has been proved that installing the return lines the wrong way around on the fuel filter is the cause, if you look at the connectors on the fuel fillter you will notice that one has a tiny hole and this one should connect to the pipe that goes back to the tank, if the return from the injectors is connected to the connection with the small hole the pressure will build and eventually stress the spring in the control valve in the high pressure pump and cause fault p2288 to appear, just swap the connections on the fuel filter and run the car, the spring fixes itself and the fault never appears ever again. I just wonder how many fuel pumps have been changed over fo no reason. Yes i changed the fuel pump to start with but the fault started to return after 100 klm driving, changing the lines cured it.

Resurrecting an old thread to say thanks for this Thumbs Up

Had this exact problem. Car would stall when accelerator pressed and error p2288. Found a few threads to suggest replacing fuel filter so did that today. Having read this i made a point to double check connectors and noticed that the blue and yellow connector were the wrong way round on the old filter! New filter, correct connections and it's running sweet! Very Happy

Post #201327028th Dec 2018 9:07 pm
ukturbo

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

i too had this problem and luckily changed the filter before any further work was carried out. I just wonder how many have needlessly had their hpfp changed.

Post #201331729th Dec 2018 9:35 am
shanegtr

Just digging up this thread again as I've just had this fault come up. Backstory before the fault was the injector return line sprung a leak at injector #1. No engine faults logged at this stage. Just changed the injector return pipework today and start it up - injector control pressure too high fault. Changed the fuel filter, no change still faulting the same. I'm going to have a look over all the connections again but I'm getting no leaks from the items I touched.

Post #201882015th Jan 2019 3:18 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

If you are having problems with P2288 and have changed the filter, but the problem comes back, you might want to blow down the fuel lines from the engine. Using sensible precautions, remove the filter and blow from HPFP backwards. Be prepared to collect the fuel in a jug by holding it up to the 4 filter pipes. DO NOT BLOW TOWARDS THE LPFP or HPFP. You can blow the return to tank pipe (small blue).

If this is what you collect, then change the filter again.

Joe  
Post #217012526th Aug 2020 3:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Patrick lakes

United Kingdom 

Voodoochook wrote:
I have range rover 2.7tdv6 with this code fault and have changed the whole fuel system and injectors and jeep still showing this fault  
Post #218617411th Nov 2020 1:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >