Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Battery Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
drivesafe

Australia 

Thanks Slimer and that puts a different light on it.

So again, correct me if i'm wrong but it’s likely that there is no vehicle faults being registered in the vehicle’s computer, just fantom failures on the sound system display.

Cheers
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #14716611th Apr 2007 3:20 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

That's correct, my dealer said that all the messages that I had displayed were because of the faulty battery, these faults were not logged in the vehicles computer.

These messages were displayed in the message panel in front of the driver however, not the audio display.

I have only ever had the low power message on the audio display when the engine was switched off which is how the audio system is supposed to work.

Drivesafe wrote:
PS, woody, love the little show at the bottom of your posts, funny, not nice, but still funny.

Thumbs Up
 1996 Discovery 1 300TDI ES Biarritz Blue, sold
1999 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Rioja Red, sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5 ES Buckingham Blue, sold
2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Adriatic Blue, sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver, sold
2011 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze, sold
2016 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Lux Nav Twilight Bronze, sold
2020 Range Rover Evoque P250 First Edition, Nolita grey, sold
2023 Range Rover Evoque P300e Autobiography, Carpathian grey 

Post #14723411th Apr 2007 7:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Woody, the electronic modules do not store DTC's for 'transient' errors, although a record of these events is available, but not as 'faults', As Slimer says, the audio system message is by design, not error Wink

Post #14729711th Apr 2007 10:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Confused Confused that's what I thought I said

Post #14730511th Apr 2007 10:11 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

TFC, completely Off Topic , BUT since you changed your avatar, I just can't help reading your posts in an upper-class Terry Thomas stylee Shocked

Is this how you like to be portrayed, you absolute cad you Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Wink

Post #14730811th Apr 2007 10:12 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Woody, yes it was - but the dealer didn't read out the module history to get the transient messages.... plus I need to stop speed reading posts Whistle Embarassed

Gareth - as if!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #14731411th Apr 2007 10:15 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Laughing

TFC my dealer just told me that they were phantom messages that would not have been stored.

Post #14732311th Apr 2007 10:26 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Well all I can say is, this is now as clear as mud

I’ve got a really helpful dealer and service crew, so I’ll do a bit more enquiring when I’m over there next.

I’m perusing this subject because I’m about to start deliberately taking my D3’s ( actually it’s the wife’s, so not my problem RIGHT Rolling Eyes ) battery down bellow 11.8 to see what effects a dual battery controller has on the vehicle’s operation on starting after such a drain on the cranking battery.

Cheers and thanks for the info and sorry for highjacking the thread.
Post #14735711th Apr 2007 11:49 pm
W6CJW

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I have also been having battery discharge problems, its been on going for several weeks with the dealer HARWOODS Sussex having had the car on different occasions trying to find the problem. They are blaming the tracker I have fitted Shocked the tracker was fitted one week after I took delivery two years ago. The battery problem started around Feb this year so I am a little puzzled.
Since its last visit to the said dealer I have had the tracker disconnected and guess what, yup flat battery on five seperate occasions and boat loads of error messages on start up!
The colder the morning the worse the problem.
In Wales last week we had a clear night with a hard frost -3, the battery was that flat the car would`nt unlock Shocked I had to use the key what pain that is!
LR assistance attented and condemed the battery Mad he also stated that this was a common problem!
Armed with the info from this topic I will be talking to the dealer and insisting on a replacement battery.
 D4 3.0 HSE cameras,Hybrid TV, 20" alloys, heated wheel, privacy, Tow pack.
Departed RRS TDV8 HSE Full Arden kit in TEAL and colour coded everything.
Departed Disco 3 2.7 HSE

I never drive faster than I can see! 

Post #14737512th Apr 2007 9:09 am
drivesafe

Australia 

OK folks, checking the power consumption on a D3 is easy if you have access to a set of tongs ( clamp meter ).

All you have to do is pop the bonnet and leave it open, take the cover off the battery compartment and there, right at the front is the battery’s red positive cable running from the battery to the fuse and relay box, next to the battery and the other red cable is coming from the the alternator.

To test for any form of power consumption, make sure the Park Brake is on and after you turning the ignition off, remove the key and then wait about 2 to 3 minutes for the Park Brake Light to go out ( this indicates that all the computers shutdown routines are finished ), go to the battery and see if there is any power running between the battery and the fuse box.

Also measure the voltage at the battery terminals.

If you can, leave the D3 for a few hours with the bonnet opened and take both current and voltage measurements again.

There should be a “0” current reading and the battery’s voltage should not drop below 12.8 but the voltage reading also depends on how much driving you did before stopping.

If your D3’s in your garage and you can leave it over night with the bonnet up, do so and take measurements in the morning before you start the D3. Again, if there is no current reading, the battery should still show at least 12.5 ( 12.8 is a fully charged battery ).

If this is a bit beyond you, go to an auto electrician or battery centre and get a battery load test done, this should be free and will give you some idea of the actual state of the battery but won’t tell you if something in the D3 is draining the battery while the ignition is off while the above tests will.

Cheers
Post #14739812th Apr 2007 10:23 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I think something like 30mA is normal when the D3 is fully asleep, so it will eventually drain the battery, just not for a several weeks if the battery is in good health.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #14743312th Apr 2007 12:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >