DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

FBH in Disco3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mohnwalk

Norway 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
FBH in Disco3

Hi!

I have s few questions regarding the FBH, the Webasto ThermoTop V that was delivered in the disco3.

In my search of information, I see that there are either the Bell Autos remote for handeling the webasto or the Danhag solution (a bit more complicated).

So my question is:

Why is it not possible to install the original Webasto remote controls or the ThermoCall with the ThermoTop V unit?
And even more frustrating, why is it so hard to start the heater fans to get warm car before u start the car?
Is this problem related to the ThermoTop V or is it the Land Rover electronics that are "difficult"?

Are there really no easy solutions for this? I would love to use the ThermoCall app to contro my FBH and in-car temperature.

Post #122302724th Jan 2014 9:22 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi, first off have a read of www.disco3.co.uk/fbh Smile

The TTV in the D3 doesn't seem to respond to Webasto remotes (T90 etc), I assume this is true of the ThermoCall (an expensive experiment to try it).

The fan system in the D3 is PWM controlled and has various flaps and ducts, it is not just a case of triggering a relay.

As in the page linked to above, it will work with a 1533 timer Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #122303424th Jan 2014 9:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nighthawk

Malta 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Webasto remote controls MIGHT not work because they might be sending the wrong command. There are a few Webasto commands such as "TURN ON HEATER", "TURN ON PARK HEATER" etc... the D3 FBH needs "TURN ON PARK HEATER". If the webasto remote control sends "TURN ON HEATER", it might work fine for other webasto heaters but not the ThermoTop V in the D3.

Starting the fans to get warm car before you get in is difficult because the HVAC control unit is on the CANBUS. Communicating with the HVAC control unit will require you to "wake up" the CANBUS. With SOME FBH controllers (such as the 1533 timer), waking up the CANBUS inherently shuts down the FBH (though some recent experimentation might have figured out how to get around this).

There might be other issues, but the above is definitely a bit of the problem Thumbs Up
 Dennis

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Buckingham Blue 

Post #122303524th Jan 2014 9:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >