Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

PDC Fitting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
yellowbelly

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Vienna GreenDiscovery 3
PDC Fitting

I have just ordered two new rear parking sensors to replace the defective inner pair. Can anyone tell me how the current ones are fixed in place. I already know that these are the fiddly ones but going to try it in the first instance without removing the bumper.
 55 Plate Disco 3 HSE. EGR blanked, Decat exhaust, AMK Compressor, bought 20 Dec 13. Watch this space for future upgrades. - Disco 4 front cup holders, D4 Bluetooth, Brembo 4 pot front V8 rear brakes, front diff breather mod, BAS FBH controller, fixed towbar, D4 heated washer jets
Silicone intercooler hoses, RS 500 Intercooler, decat exhaust, remap
IID tool used to enable 3 flash indicators, clock on dash, reverse follow me home lights, snotm, AMK compressor update and still learning 

Post #12131917th Jan 2014 9:45 am
Biffysun

Scotland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

There are two 'clips' at the side of the sensor holder,(look at your new sensors to get the idea) you have to carefully ease them open then push the sensor inwards to remove it, its not easy with the bumper on but ISTR someone on here being able to release the clips, push the sensor inwards, release the 'holder' pull it out and then take the sensor 'out' of the bumper. I have always taken the bumper cover off as the sensors were very tight in the holders and access not great for 'big' hands! Rolling Eyes
Hope this helps, good luck! Thumbs Up

Post #12132057th Jan 2014 10:11 am
yellowbelly

Thanks for that. New sensors have arrived today and it looks straight forward to remove the old ones and change them over. Looking at the access it appears that it will be easier to remove the bumper so will look at it this weekend
 55 Plate Disco 3 HSE. EGR blanked, Decat exhaust, AMK Compressor, bought 20 Dec 13. Watch this space for future upgrades. - Disco 4 front cup holders, D4 Bluetooth, Brembo 4 pot front V8 rear brakes, front diff breather mod, BAS FBH controller, fixed towbar, D4 heated washer jets
IID tool used to enable 3 flash indicators, clock on dash, reverse follow me home lights, snotm, AMK compressor update and still learning 

Post #12136127th Jan 2014 9:16 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

was going to post about this as ive done this a few times now .once youve done it once and can visualise the clips its quite easy, last one took me about 20 mins

the problem with getting the bumper off is the mudflap screws which are an absolute Bxxxxxd, so i think worth having a go at the bumper on way first.

the sensor itself is secured into the outer holder by 2 clips one top one bottom and its the top one thats the bitch.first remove the tow bar flap then get under the car and release the 2 hex head self tappers under the bumper on the side your working on, prize the bumper away from the car as far as needed to get your hand in and wedge with a block of wood.

look at the new sensor and then bend a pointed piece of thin metal (i used and old fork and bent back two prongs) and bent the remaining prong to the curvature or the new sensor.

use your left hand to release the bottom clip on the dud sensor (pull down with your fingernail or a very small screwdriver whilst applying pressure to the centre part of the sensor with your right thumb you should feel the sensor move a little as it comes out of the bottom clip by a fraction. use the bent fork to feel to the top clip and again push on the sensor with your right thumb.after about 6 goes and a lot of swearing the sensor will release and go into the bumper.
work the sensor around to the opening of the tow bar flap so you can see the plug connection .release clip on plug (lift it dont push it ) and then the sensor will be free.

To make the refit easier and so not to break a wire i took the outer holder out of the bumper by releaseing the 3 clips which hold them. you can easily bend these retaining clips in now the sensor is removed although you will need to prize the holder out of the bumper with a wide blade so as to not scratch the bumper .

to refit the new sensor reconnect the plug ,then poke the sensor out thro the bumper (bigger hole now holder removed) clip the sensor into the holder and simply push sensor and holder complete back into the bumper .

first time as i said is tough but once done its not so hard your just working by feel which can be frustrating

hope this helps someone else Thumbs Up
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #12137227th Jan 2014 10:24 pm
Ceekay

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Just had a front sensor fail according to the FCR it's the left side centre anyone know if these are easy or not to replace? Also rough estimate of cost?
Cheers Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE Lux MY16 Club Waitomo
D3 HSE MY06 missing her still… 

Post #12138518th Jan 2014 12:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
yellowbelly

Thanks for the instructions Mark. I will definitely give it a go this weekend using your method.

Post #12139448th Jan 2014 10:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >