Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 MPG improvement over 6mths/6k miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4
D4 MPG improvement over 6mths/6k miles

I'm on my second D4 8 speed. Perhaps not a typical owner, the car only does motorway miles; 2 -3 trips each month, but longish ones in Europe, where I'm based. We use it as our family car. I have a work car during the week and my wife has a run about. The D4 takes us to in laws or our weekend place. It sits at a steady 85-90mph/2100 rpm for about 8-9 hours (each way = 800 km, but there are children involved, so lots of stops...). It either has a roofrack or a bike carrier, so not the most economical configuration. The reason I'm posting is because this holiday period we've been to the out laws and to our home from home. All autobahn mileage, but for the first time in 6 months (since I got this car) I did brim to brim MPG calcs over about 2000km. The traffic was pretty bad over Christmas and NY, with a lot of jams, but since being run in, the D4 after 10k km is returning almost a 20% real MPG improvement since being gently run in. The difference from a tank of fuel is noticeable, since I tend to use the same garages each weekend. I'm hoping that the MY 14will be even better if I ever get around to getting one. But after these few weeks, I'm certain that my D4 is more economical than my D3 even with the remap from BAS, (although the performance enhancement of the BAS remap on the D3 was amazing). It's not soooo much worse than my mondeo company car if you take into account the weight and bike rack, etc. Thumbs Up

I'll be interested to see whether the MY14 really is more economical from the new owners here.

(Whilst a UK car, I have the car set to kph and litres per 100 km because we're overseas. For that reason I haven't bothered folk with the actual figures, since they'll make little sense to mph/MPG folk).
 PAGODA  
Post #12119214th Jan 2014 10:45 pm
phl

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Not quite hit 10k km yet; the best I've seen for a long trip has been 9l/100km for a fairly flat run, although at time I saw 8.8l/100km on the consumption readout (mine has been corrected to within 0.1L/100km). What figures are you seeing?

Post #12119885th Jan 2014 6:48 am
RBP

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

9l\100km is approx 31.56 mpg - I'd be happy with that Thumbs Up

Post #12119915th Jan 2014 8:13 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

My 2013 D4 showed a similar improvement over the first 11,000 miles:

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #12120095th Jan 2014 10:56 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

phl wrote:
Not quite hit 10k km yet; the best I've seen for a long trip has been 9l/100km for a fairly flat run, although at time I saw 8.8l/100km on the consumption readout (mine has been corrected to within 0.1L/100km). What figures are you seeing?

Brim to brim, so ignoring the trip computer, I'm getting 9l/100km average (give or take fractions) over those distances at that speed. I'm happy with these figures. Whilst heresy here, now we're down to one large dog ( Big Cry my hound had to be put down a few months ago after 15 yrs) I wonder whether we need the disco. I love it, but moving back to the UK later this year (maybe) suddenly makes D4 ownership look expensive, what with car tax and servicing. I'm going to take a look at the E Class, as I'm led to believe that there are very fuel efficient, and cheap to tax (£30 part, I was told for one of the smaller engines). That said, I have to convince SWMBO that a Merc makes more sense than the Disco. That will be a hard sell, as she and I love the Disco in the snow and it's comfort on long journeys. I haven't been in he new E Class. Or any E class for that matter since about 1994.

Incidentally, this improvement on MPG has been seen since I also took off the standard wranglers, and put on my conti winter contacts. This may also be a factor, I suppose.
 PAGODA  
Post #12120415th Jan 2014 11:54 am
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I was always happy with the sport doing between 32 and 34 in the end. Always over 30, although I don't keep them much over a year, but they do improve
 Mike  
Post #12120545th Jan 2014 12:20 pm
phl

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

RBP wrote:
9l\100km is approx 31.56 mpg - I'd be happy with that Thumbs Up

That's on my long distance runs; on my daily commute, over short distances and very heavy traffic, I've seen 17l/100km...

But this is with the Coppers Zeon LTZ 255/55R19, so probably not as good as road tyres.

Post #12126146th Jan 2014 12:38 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Head and Heart decision, don't do it Exclamation

Went from RRS to E class estate, made sense, more economical etc 7 seats, quality car etc, good economical decision. 35mpg v 23mpg great Idea

NO no no no Big Cry

6 months was all I could take, ended up losing 9K.

Thats quite a few miles even at 23mpg the Sport managed on avg
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #12126396th Jan 2014 1:41 pm
MHP

England 

Robbie wrote:
My 2013 D4 showed a similar improvement over the first 11,000 miles:

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up

what do you use to calculate it robbie? Thumbs Up
 2009 Discovery 3 HSE - Gone
2019 Anniversary Edition D5 - Going
2019 HSE D5 - coming! 

Post #12126416th Jan 2014 1:46 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Roadtrip Lite as I am tight.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/road-trip-...92794?mt=8

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #12126776th Jan 2014 2:48 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

pagoda wrote:
Whilst heresy here, now we're down to one large dog ( Big Cry my hound had to be put down a few months ago after 15 yrs) I wonder whether we need the disco. I love it, but moving back to the UK later this year (maybe) suddenly makes D4 ownership look expensive, what with car tax and servicing. I'm going to take a look at the E Class, as I'm led to believe that there are very fuel efficient, and cheap to tax (£30 part, I was told for one of the smaller engines). That said, I have to convince SWMBO that a Merc makes more sense than the Disco. That will be a hard sell, as she and I love the Disco in the snow and it's comfort on long journeys. I haven't been in he new E Class. Or any E class for that matter since about 1994.

There's a new Freelander (probably to be badged as a mini-Discovery) due out this Autumn. Take a look at that. The current one is pretty damn good.

Post #12141848th Jan 2014 7:28 pm
BonJon

United Kingdom 

For the size of the vehicle and what you purchase it for (assuming you really need the space), I would be perfectly happy with anything around the 30mpg mark, even better if its closer to 35mpg.

Im certainly not going to be buying a nissan leaf anytime soon! May be economical, but I want the space and the comfort of the Disco to be fair.

My brother has a fascination with old vehicles and even owned an e-type many years ago. Considering he is lucky to get close to 20MPG out of the cars he owns/has owned, I guess it puts things in perspective a bit for me. Im now more concerned with the quality and comfort even if the downside is more trips to fill it. Twisted Evil

Post #12144259th Jan 2014 2:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >