DISCO3.CO.UK > General

D3 for 13 - 14k
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Onejk

United Kingdom 
D3 for 13 - 14k

Hi everyone

Just joined the forum. I'm looking at getting a D3 before the winter sets in. My budget is around 13-14k. Now from what I've seen I should be able to get something half descent for this. My question is what will it cost for the cam belt to be done as this May effect what year/millage car I buy. I was looking at trying to get a 2007/2008 with less than 75k. This then only gives me a year or so and 30k before the cam belt needs doing.

Most people seem to recommend the auto box, but is the manual any better on mpg? I'm being realistic and I don't think I should expect any more than 33 mpg at best.

Do you think it's worth buying a land-rover approved D3 with a 12 month warranty?

Also if using 6 of the 7 seats is there still enough room for say luggage for 3 adults and 2 young children for a few days away?

Anything else I should look out for?

Cheers

Steve

Post #117146913th Oct 2013 12:38 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Welcome to the forum Steve
I think your budget should be okay. In respect of the belts some people have changed the oil pump casing with during the belt change as the 07 and poss some 08 have issues with the strength of the oil pump casing. Auto is so much easier to drive. I purchased mine from a LR dealer with a warrenty but if I was doing it again I would check out on this forum
There is some room that should suffice if you have 6 seats in use and drop the 7th seat down. Unless you have loads of gear.

Sean

Post #117147213th Oct 2013 12:47 pm
Dave^

33mpg is optimistic unless pure m'way work.

Ignore the mileage, and buy on condition/history.

A ferked 80k car will cost a lot more than a mint 120k car...

These are not cars you can buy and run on fuel alone, they're like a woman with expensive tastes... Luckily, I only have one of the two... Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up
 flickr  
Post #117148913th Oct 2013 1:21 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

If you're on a shoestring then a D3 maybe isn't the vehicle to buy I don't think.
Allow £1k for belts and possible oil pump casing, maybe some bushes unless completed recently.
You're unlikely to find one this age in the LR dealer network so don't worry yourself about the LR warranty.
Take your time and buy from reputable dealer. An established forum member on here is likely to be an enthusiast so "could" be a good source of a vehicle as they are likely to have been through the trials and tribulations that you are about to experience Laughing
A lot of the guys on here have spent ages tracking down a decent vehicle, maintain them well and know the score so look out in the for sale section.
If buying private, take someone who knows the car and get yourself a third party warranty from someone like warranty direct unless you are handy with a spanner. Around £600 yearly.
You should get a pukka one on your budget, decent spec SE or HSE would be my choice.
The BEST advice before even contemplating a D3 is spend a few evening reading the forum, especially posts by Disco-Mikey, Wiggs, Bodsy etc. You will learn loads and be a bit more aware of the things to look for.
Don't be afraid to ask anything on here no matter how dumb t sounds, you'll only get the pi55 taken out of you until the next newb asks the same question and by then you'll be an expert Thumbs Up

Oh yea..luggage...3 blokes luggage will fit easlily, 3 womens luggage will need a roofbox and probably a trailer Rolling with laughter
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #117149413th Oct 2013 1:31 pm
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Buy an early D3 with all the work done, there's plenty out there look for service history and receipts for work completed.

There's no point in looking for fuel economy as they are horrendous on fuel, but make up for it in a lot of other ways. If your worried about the penny's then this is not the car for you.

Post #117149913th Oct 2013 1:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Onejk

United Kingdom 

Guys

Thanks for the quick reply. I've already decided that I need to take my time in this and it looks like from your replies that buying a D3 is a bigger decision than any other car!

I'll definately read up for the next week or so! Please expect some dumb questions!

Steve

Post #117150513th Oct 2013 1:58 pm
Somerset Jem

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Steve and welcome. I bought my D3 just over 2 years ago from a dealer, bit of an impulse buy as I was looking at D2's really. Still happy with the purchase, tows the twin axle caravan like a dream, sometimes with 6 of us in the car (daughter and extended family). It has become a bit of a hobby though and after 20 years of taking my car to a garage to have it fixed I have regressed to my teenage days of lying under my Triumph Herald trying to save money and keep it running. They are complicated beasts but there is so much quality advice on this forum from some fantastic people that you will never be too far away from an answer to your questions. Look carefully, choose wisely and enjoy.
Thumbs Up
Jem

Post #117156413th Oct 2013 4:34 pm
djcleckie

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

There is a lot going for 05/55/06 D3's if you can get a good example.

Strongrer oil pump casing.
Lower tax band.
Can blank off the EGR valves easily.

Mine is 05 69000 miles, bought 3 years ago. I had the belts done at the 7 year mark as LR say 7 years or 105000 which ever comes 1st so with some luck you could get a low mileage one that already has had the belts done.

Autos don't give quite as good mileage as manuals but the clutch on the manuals (dual mass flywheel) have a bit of a bad reputation.
On a manual don't expect more than 30 mpg on "legal" speed motorway driving.
Twisty hilly roads and it can drop down to 23mpg.

Dave
 2005 SE Manual Cairns Blue
Faultmate MSV2
Series 2 - long gone
RR Classic long gone.
Disco1 believe its still going as a farm vehicle in France. 

Post #117157413th Oct 2013 4:51 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I have a 2009 and whilst it's great and most problems at this age have been ironed out (if they ever were going to be ironed out!), if I bought again I'd go for a 56 in really good condition and then spend on getting it to 2009 quality.

A 2009 is a fair bit more classy to look at in terms of trim and interior "brightwork"(later they get the more like a rangie they look inside) but it's all superficial and can be added to an older car.

2006 will get you lower tax, lower purchase price, less depreciation and as far as I can see no deficit over the Euro IV engine in the 2009 - not sure what (apart form newer car) benefit you'd get going later.

Post #117158913th Oct 2013 5:08 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

My 05 HSE Auto will do 33mpg on a motorway run 8)

As said, don't buy on mileage alone. Better to buy a higher mileage car, that has had all the common bits done already. And there are lots of common bits Laughing

Whatever your budget, allow an extra £1000 to put right any issues that probably will arise in the early weeks/months. If you are stretching yourself to buy a D3, then a D3 probably isn't the car for you. They are not cheap to buy, maintain, or keep in diesel

While mine was in bits, I spent a lot more money than I had to, to make sure the car was as perfect as possible. It had:

Timing Belts
EGR's properly removed
Autobox oil + filter
All steel brake pipes replaced
Front lower wishbone bushes
Front lower ball joints
Rear upper wishbone bushes
Hub bushes
ARB links
ARB bushes
Silicone hoses
Decat Downpipe
A bloody good service
All transmission oils
Tyres
Wheel alignment
Front pads
Rear discs, pads and EPB shoes
2x parking sensors

Sounds like a lot of work, but some of it wasn't needed. But, it was easier to replace them while it was all in bits. However, I am glad I put in the extra effort, as every time I drive a D3 that knocks or rattles away, it makes me feel warm inside knowing that I have already done all the hard work, and should be good for the next 3-4-5 years Thumbs Up

And then on top of that, you WILL start modifying the car! Regardless of what you tell yourself. I said the same, and now I have D3 rear accessory LED's, full interior LED's, De-tango'd headlights, Front Brembo brakes, SNOTM, 3 flash indicators... The list goes on and on Laughing

In fact, for 13k, you can have mine Whistle
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #117163313th Oct 2013 5:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Onejk

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the great info.

I think i need to decide if I can 1. Afford and 2. Accept the running costs. The car will be for my other half.

I kinda set my heart on a disco as she has horses and in the winter we have been stick on the yard before due to bad weather and also the fact of its great towing capabilities.

I'm going to keep looking and go and test drive quite a few, so I get a feel for them + I'll take all the advice you've given and wait for the right one

Steve

Post #117164913th Oct 2013 6:15 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

One bit of advice, if she will only be doing local town driving, the MPG will be down into the mid-teens. I know this from experience.

If you do end up with a manual, make sure you, and your lady know about low range, when manouvering with trailers. A clutch and flywheel, inc fitting will set you back best part of £1100-£1200
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #117165113th Oct 2013 6:17 pm
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Steve I work south notts not that far from Leicester so if you want to meet up and have a look at a d3 and get some pointers happy to do so

Sean

Post #117170113th Oct 2013 7:12 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
if she will only be doing local town driving, the MPG will be down into the mid-teens. I know this from experience.

My previous D3 (06 model year) regularly did 25 mpg round town, dropped to about 20 in the winter due to the FBH being used more often though.

Post #117172813th Oct 2013 8:17 pm
blowpipe

England 

If you can wait until mid November I'll be launching my 05 D3 onto the market, big service and suspension sorted out with the benefit of that slightly lower road tax. It'll be one of those D3s sold with all the usual issues overcome by the previous owner Rolling Eyes

It's going to be a sad move but family circumstance dictate a change.

Post #117173813th Oct 2013 8:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >