Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Wobbling continues (was "want to borrow some wheels)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Wobbling continues (was "want to borrow some wheels)

Anyone Dorset/South Somerset/West Hants /South Wilts have a spare set in 17/18/19 that I could borrow for up to 5 days so I can do a series of full and partial swaps of the current wheels/tyres please?

Having trouble diagnosing a speed related vibration/wheel judder and need to borrow a set of wheels/tyres (road or AT) to exclude the possibility of a defective Tyre. The tyres are new and everything balances up a treat, but I'm still getting wheel vibration I can feel through seat and heels that starts once I hit 60-70 and the vibration remains on slowing to 40 but can't be felt until I first hit the higher speeds.

Wheels/tyres test OK for balance and buckling Confused

I've got spare rims with MTs on, but nothing with a road or AT Tyre I can use for this.

Any help/suggestions welcome Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no. 

Last edited by NoDo$h on 1st Dec 2013 6:37 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #117975930th Oct 2013 1:17 pm
tomcat404

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

it may be worth looking at your disks and calipers, if these are warped etc this will affect the effect you mention. My D4 had this problem and I too thought it was the wheels. LR replaced the rack, column, discs and calipers on the front under warranty. They suggested it ??

thanks nathan

Post #117977330th Oct 2013 2:02 pm
F355GTS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

ND

I'll have a set of 19's available to borrow after this coming weekend, I'm just south of Newbury Thumbs Up
 Mark  
Post #117978730th Oct 2013 2:49 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Hi Nathan,

There's no vibration under braking and the disks are of uniform temperature (by axle pair) so unlikely, but will check if wheel swap doesn't alleviate the issue. I'm not discounting the steering column UJ and rack either, but again a wheel swap is needed to exclude this most obvious possibility.

Mark, I think I may have found a set I can borrow locally on Sunday, but if that doesn't work out can I take you up on that please? I pass through a couple of times a week so would be ideal if the local set can't be borrowed.

If anyone has other suggestions of things to check, I'm all ears, figuratively speaking
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #118007030th Oct 2013 11:43 pm
Simonstarski

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I had a pulsing vibration on my D3. Not really bad but enough to annoy and take the enjoyment out of driving.

I noticed it most on a very shallow bend.

Callipers were both recently changed so ruled out the brakes.

It turned out to be a miss shaped front tyre. They ballanced ok, they just rolled slightly out.

If you can figure out a way to get them up I've a set of 18" SE wheels with recent road tyres you're welcome to use. Thumbs Up
 Narpy Grill, tinted windows, Smooth leather wheel (TLO Group buy), ACM fitted (thanks TLO), Rear door loom and Row 2 & 3 audio switch upgrade, RRS 20" wheel change, 285 Cooper LTZ's Sat Nav Mod (until I get a Faultmate upgrade), Front & Rear lamp guards. 4x4 screen now switched on - Woody32, Follow me home reverse lights - woody32, Auto release EPB - Woody32. Off Road Navigation - Woody32. Remap + EGR's switched off. Full chassis clean and Waxoyl.  
Post #118007130th Oct 2013 11:51 pm
A5YLS

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I had similar issues,

Turned out to be rear handbrake shoes or the mechanism for them had seized up slightly, causing them to bind and gave a wobble at higher speeds.

Only did it after a bit of a run, assume when things had warmed up and expanded.

Might be worth a look?

Dan .
 200 Tdi Project.
Td5 90 in build
D3 gone...
Td5 110 CSW 

Post #11815993rd Nov 2013 6:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
F355GTS

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

ND, no problem, just let me know Thumbs Up
 Mark  
Post #11816473rd Nov 2013 7:08 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I had something similar, swapped wheels around and narrowed it down to one wheel. After 2 further checks of balancing, I dropped the wheel down flat, and heard a sloshing sound. Turned out to be water inside the tyre. Fine on a balancing machine, but not on the road!
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #11818273rd Nov 2013 11:51 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

well my diagnostic wheel swap didn't go ahead as I was in no fit state to hold a set of car keys yesterday, so holding fire until this coming weekend now.

Mark, my local Indy is kindly loaning me the wheels from his car, so won't need to trouble you for yours
Post #11819904th Nov 2013 1:29 pm
Dom Harvey
Lord of the Four Fingers 

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Al, I'll be interested to hear what you find out as I have the same issue as soon as I reach the speed limit - quite a unnerving sensation.

Post #11820174th Nov 2013 2:17 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Well I've now run the car on a spare set of wheels with the same unnerving feeling of driving on ice with some wobble evident at 70, although speed varies with surface condition.

We've checked steering rack and column, checked wheelbearings, replaced a track rod arm (these cars EAT these things), changed the front lower arms, then polybushed the arms as I felt the aftermarket arms/bushes were too floppy (thanks Steve Norman for that suggestion).

Polybushing has made it a lot more controlled, but the feeling of being on ice at speed with (reduced) wobble) is still there.

Put the car across the rollers at the garage and there is a bit more bounce than I would like, so next up is shocks and airbags. I will get this driving nicely!
Post #11959111st Dec 2013 6:40 pm
Popelka

Czech Republic 
what if

the harmonic damps are hung up and not doing their job correctly ?

would that give this type of symptom?
 Experience is a difficult teacher, because she gives the test first and then the lesson afterwards!!!!  
Post #11960741st Dec 2013 9:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

No, the danglers are a-danglin'

my car has 122,000 miles on it and gets worked hard*, so probably well overdue shocks under the circumstances!

(* it also gets repaired hard..... I dug out all my receipts the other day as the moment it squeaks I get it in for remedial work and was horrified to see what I've spent! Worth it though Mr. Green )
Post #11961681st Dec 2013 11:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >