DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Air Filter, Not the Intercooler Hose
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Air Filter, Not the Intercooler Hose

A few weeks ago, I started to see the white smoke when acclerating hard(ish), which with a sluggish take up and falling economy, led me to think that one of the intercooler hoses had split or delaminated (the big one went at abot 65k miles, so was due to fail again).

I changed that hose - no difference. I was planning on changing the next two intercooler hoses, but this coincided with me deciding to do an oil change together with all the filters - I bought the kit from Steve at Advanced Factors Thumbs Up

After changing the air filter, what a difference. The car is now back to its old self. The old filter did look pretty clogged up and was clearly the reason for loss of performance. The filter was being changed in line with the LR schedule of 45000 miles, but I would suggest this is too long. With a problem like mine, it could steer someone down the intercooler hose route by mistake as the symptoms are similar.

As I am now saving money on the service kit from AF and not employing the dealer, I will change it more frequently. I would suggest that owners ask for a filter change before its done 45000.

PS: I also discovered that the dealer did not know how to fit the pollen filter - they left the door open that holds it in place, so I have no idea where the airflow was going. Shocked
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #11999159th Dec 2013 6:06 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

For what little they cost from Steve, I would fit a new air filter at every service (and am surprised LR stipulate every 45k!).

Pollen filter - no surprise there Whistle

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #11999179th Dec 2013 6:10 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Interesting as mine has also taken up a smoking habit ! When warm coming out of London I booted it and there was a lot of smoke out the back. Couldn't see what colour it was but would have guessed more white than black. All the hoses seem Ok so am guessing it is just having a clear out ? Shocked I have also noted that there seems to be stains around the oil filler cap which is mixed with dust and grime. I am sure it was not there before so maybe just being paranoid. The cap was was on tight enough and the engine seems to be running Ok so will see.....
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #11999199th Dec 2013 6:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >