Rear Spoiler Mod - Completed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Rear Spoiler Mod - Completed

Spent today doing the rear spoiler mod as I wanted to turn this:

Into this:

I have to say, it's a simple enough mod ONCE you've got the existing hi-line brake light out!! Rolling Eyes
That thing is stuck so well, it really is a struggle to get it out. The best way I found was to chain drill the old one along the adhesive line and remove as much of the middle as possible, then lever the remainder out with a chisel taking care not to damage anything. If you do decide to tackle this mod, give yourself around 3 hours ( yes, seriously ) just to remove the existing hi-line brake light.

Here I chain drilled across the light using a 3/8 drill bit and joined all the holes up with a chisel. It's not for the faint hearted, you have to use whatever comes to hand without being too gungho. Confused

Heres the middle of the light removed:

And this is where I chain drilled underneath to remove the lower portion:

Once the chain drilling is complete I found prising up one corner and levering the remaining plastic up with a chisel seemed to work well. Eventually, you'll get to this stage:

It's then a simple job of cutting off the old adhesive using a plastic scraper. Best not to use metal scrapers as you'll have to use quite some pressure and don't want to damage the paintwork.

I then offered up the spoiler and it was a very good fit. It seems to auto-locate within the gap the hi-line brake lights fits. I taped it in place whilst I checked all the gaps etc. and it really did look fine in it's naturally resting place. Thumbs Up

I then removed the spoiler and gave everything a good wipe down with panel wipe spirit.
The spoiler has a routed groove in the places where you have to run adhesive so it's really simple.
This pic shows the routed adhesive groove ( Oh yes, I took this picture before I'd had my spoiler sprayed Cairns Blue to match my D3 ) :
Click image to enlarge

I used the trusty Tiger Seal and made sure the new brake light cable and new rear washer tube were passed through into the trim panel space and the whole spoiler was lowered into it's resting place. Thumbs Up

All in all, you'd do well to complete the whole job in around 5 hours inclu brew breaks. It only takes so long because the old hi-line brake light takes so damn long to get out. Rolling Eyes

For anyone who fancies doing the mod, could I give a shout out to forum sponsors Duckworthparts. This thread will get you a spoiler ( probably not in the colour you require, so expect to have to buy one and have it sprayed ). I think originally these were a circa £400 part but Duckworths will do you one inclu shipping for just £65. Thumbs Up They come complete with new hi-line brake light and new rear washer jet.
Duckworths Rear Spoiler Thread Linky

I bought this:
Click image to enlarge

And had it transformed into this:
Click image to enlarge
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #118548910th Nov 2013 6:08 pm
Sudds

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Looks good Narpy Thumbs Up .High line brake light is a fair bit of fun to get out isn't it Laughing

Post #118555510th Nov 2013 7:30 pm
Narpy

You're not wrong there. Rolling Eyes
Can't believe how long it took, then how quick and easy the mod was once the damn light was out.
Must admit, I was beginning to wish I'd never bothered at one point. Worth it in the end though. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #118555810th Nov 2013 7:35 pm
robbo770

Scotland 

OUTSTANDING, are you following my mods step by step Narpy??

will be able to sell you a pair of modded D3/4 front wings shortly and even a coded D4 front bumper as I have a ace up my sleeve for the new year!!! Whistle Whistle

here is what you need to think about next though is the D4 rear, including the D4 number plate cover, Dan at Duckworth Thumbs Up

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

again contact Lewis for a very good deal on the rear bumper Thumbs Up :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fit TDV6 intercooler hoses
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe
D3 to B4 front end Upgrade
OEM TV/DVD Screens+wireless Headphones! 

Post #118556210th Nov 2013 7:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Narpy

Ha Ha, just following my own good taste. Laughing

Jury's out for me with the D4 rear lights, really not sure I like them especially at £300 per pair.
Quite like the silver tread plate on the rear bumper you've got there but I've definitely no intention of colour coding the bumpers. Might do the wheel arches but not a priority.

Rear tail pipe trims are definitely on the list though. Wink
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Long Roof Rails

Post #118556410th Nov 2013 7:49 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

My dealer had to remove the rear spoiler and refit because of a leak. Apparently there's a trick to removing the original brake light by warming it up a little and using a glaziers wire? I think it's like a cheese wire with two handles on each end. You slide it trough the gap and pull. I've not done this myself so I might be talking out of my bottom.
Thumbs Up

Post #118559510th Nov 2013 8:20 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I got a car glazier to take one off a friends car after a reversing accident. Cost £20 and took him less than 10 mins, including the cup of tea I made him. Not a scratch either.

Pretty sure he used magic or perhaps the force.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #118561610th Nov 2013 8:44 pm
robbo770

Scotland 

Narpy wrote:
Ha Ha, just following my own good taste. Laughing

Jury's out for me with the D4 rear lights, really not sure I like them especially at £300 per pair.
Quite like the silver tread plate on the rear bumper you've got there but I've definitely no intention of colour coding the bumpers. Might do the wheel arches but not a priority.

Rear tail pipe trims are definitely on the list though. Wink

the stainless Guard , contact Simon directly on sj@powerfuluk.com for a good deal on basically OEM but in brown box Thumbs Up

the exhaust tails are actual for a FL2,

only just fit, 180 deg out from the way they were designed, need to get upside down to fit as its a alley key to fit on, they will but you will only get 1 go at it as you indent the exhaust pipes when tight Thumbs Up

got them from a trader on flebay, contact him on williamclarke5@sky.com‏, reference Rob who used them on his D3, he will know and will give you a good price delivered.
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe

Post #118563110th Nov 2013 9:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flapjack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

not sure how you got these to fit they look too small? as the disco pipe points down I thought a bent trim was the only way to go? I looked for freelander and there is both a bent option for the mk1 and these type that you have for mk2 I think. any thoughts or tips as im keen to do this mod but don't want to buy the wrong type. also have you had any issues with heat on rear bumper. sorry to revive old thread Embarassed
 blessed are the losers ,for they determine the winners  
Post #134942229th Sep 2014 12:38 am
robbo770

Scotland 

Mine will be available in about a week as new addition for the D3 range will be unveiled ....
 FFRR SC 4.2

Rejected!! RRS2
Fast Road intercooler
De-Cat pipe

Post #134942629th Sep 2014 4:00 am
Flapjack

Come on then tell me more about this mystery unveiling!
Post #134960429th Sep 2014 12:15 pm
Flapjack

Shocked I'm ideally wanting to go for a twin square tail option with a angled end the only thing putting me off is some people saying it might melt my bumper if it doesn't let the fumes out downwards? Like the new brakes by the way, very jel
Post #134984329th Sep 2014 7:40 pm
Ronatthepier

United Kingdom 

Many many thanks for taking the time share this experience. Based entirely on your wisdom I removed mine today. I would not have known where to start without your excellent guidance. I needed to replace mine because it was badly cracked at the top of the actual light strip in the middle. It had been botched with silicone to keep the water out by the previuos owner but really needed replacing.

Mine is an HSE and it has the GPS aerial under the cover. The aerial lead passes perilously close to where the holes are drilled at the right hand front corner and I'm sure this lead is almost in contact with the cover which we are drilling. It is a very good idea to use some sort of depth limiter on the drill bit because it is so easy to suddenly break through an go too far and if that aerial lead was compromised, well!!

The plastic remaining bonded after removal of the material within the boundary of the drilled holes was really difficult to lift away from the black adhesive but with chisels and levers this was eventually accomplished. Then removal of the adhesive was achieved, at some length, with sharp wood chisels and a tungsten carbide scraper. The roof and tailgate top are to be re-sprayed in any case due to areas where the blue paint has come off revealing white areas of ?undercoat? so I wasn't too botherd about damage to the paint beneath the black adhesive. I think paint damage is inevitable so anyone doing this job should be prepared with etch primer and undercoat before replacing with new.

The job took about five hours. My advice is do not rush, drill carefully and control the depth, be very careful cutting away the remaining adhesive - too much oomph and a slip can damage paintwork you didn't want to. I feel quite proud of myself having done this when everyone says what a pig of a job this is. Well it IS a pig of a job but it can be done just take your time and be aware.

Anyway thanks again.

Post #18242468th Jun 2017 7:15 pm
Beno2

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Narpy
Great mod...... Thumbs Up
Do you have a side picture of the disco with new spoiler from further away so I can see spoiler bumper wheels... Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE

Post #18242578th Jun 2017 7:34 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

robbo770 wrote:
OUTSTANDING, are you following my mods step by step Narpy??

will be able to sell you a pair of modded D3/4 front wings shortly and even a coded D4 front bumper as I have a ace up my sleeve for the new year!!! Whistle Whistle

here is what you need to think about next though is the D4 rear, including the D4 number plate cover, Dan at Duckworth Thumbs Up

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

again contact Lewis for a very good deal on the rear bumper Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

hi

hope u don't mind me asking

is that a trick of the light or are ur bumper reflectors actually small lights plse

many thks :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #18243788th Jun 2017 11:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >