Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

surging problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Durham4416

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Did you put you offside of the car on ramps shadrack to get the dr tranny in and leave the engine running?

Post #11850609th Nov 2013 8:49 pm
shadrack

United Kingdom 

no i put in in pipe under bonnet

Post #11850899th Nov 2013 9:26 pm
Antjp

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I bought dr tranny now too. I drained 4 litres of old oil again out of my system refilled it with 4 litres of fresh millers millermatic atf dm from amazon I put what I can in with engine off, and put the rest in with engine running as after about 2.5 litres the sump can't take any more finally the dr trannny. Mines running sweet as a nut for again rite now and I'm hoping to have a bit of spare cash next year to treat it too a filter and a mega flush just for piece of mind. I put mine oil and dr tranny through the Allen key hole on the drivers side of the gearbox. I drained my oil through taking the pipe off the outlet on the cooler under bonnet, starting engine until flow stopped, removed about 3 half litres. Then drained half from the sump plug. I didn't use a ramp just raised suspension.

Post #118521410th Nov 2013 9:25 am
aman

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just to confirm, when we are talking about Dr Tranny... are we talking about "Dr Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx"?

Post #176598719th Jan 2017 10:40 pm
aman

shadrack wrote:
no i put in in pipe under bonnet

Hi there. Just wondering how you added the Dr Tranny under the bonnet as I wanted to do this to my car....

Post #176599719th Jan 2017 10:52 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Yes.

And

By undoing the gearbox radiator pipe.

Draining a reasonable amount out and inserting Dr.T

Post #176601719th Jan 2017 11:35 pm
MyBelovedLucia

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

There is an easy and straightforward way of removing approximately 50% of the gearbox oil by removing the pipe from the top of the gearbox fluid radiator and extending by tube work into a container and running the engine, when fluid stops coming out shut off engine and then by pumping an equivalent amount of new fluid into the open stub of the said radiator ( I used an adapted pump up pressurised garden sprayer. To achieve this
I will try and find the link and post in on this subject. I have done this process myself and by topping it up going for a short drive and Then repeating the process of draining and replacing 50% etc you can change a large content of the existing oil, combined with a tube of Dr tranny my gearbox issues shudders engine revs throbbing on load have disappeared and the car now drives like it's had a new gearbox.
This was done approx 20k miles ago and still good
 All the Best  
Post #176604120th Jan 2017 12:40 am
aman

That's great advice. Was it very messy to do? Was it necessary to jack the car up? I have never jacked my car up... Im not sure what the best way would be to do that safely....
PS was the garden sprayer any good for gardening afterwards? Smile

Post #176605320th Jan 2017 12:55 am
MyBelovedLucia

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not messy at all and no jacking of the vehicle is required the only tricky bit is adapting the radiator stub to fit to the garden sprayer I think hose pipe is the right diameter with a jubilee clip and extending the disconnected hose into a bucket to collect the old oil, I think 15mm copper plumbing pipe and hose pipe again done the trick
Ps: Car drives great but the Roses have never been the same!!! Laughing
 All the Best  
Post #176606320th Jan 2017 1:26 am
Gerald007

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
D3 Surges when I start it

I have a D3 TDV6. A couple of months ago, beginning of autumn, the vehicle one morning started surging after being started. Aggressively and constantly up to 3000 rpm and even higher. Drops back down and surges back again. If I put it into gear, the surge stops, but the vehicle is lethargic when driven. Fuel consumption is also higher.
It doesn't do this all the time, but in summer it is worse.
Some observations: if I turn the key for the vehicle to run through its diagnostics and the 'coil' light stays on for an extended time, the vehicle is guaranteed to surge. Somthimes after driving for a couple of kilometres it will settle, power returns and it is fine. If standing in the sun for some time, the 'coil' light is almost guaranteed to stay on for a while and when started it surges.
I have had it in twice for diagnostics, but nothing comes up. I was told it is the EGR at a stage, then told, it might not be that.
Sometimes while driving it randomly starts to surge. Which is new. Mainly happens when started, and then continues to do it post that.
I thought it could be the turbo or a sensor, but I have been told it may well be the gearbox. Not an expert on D3, so I'm not sure what this can be. Especially when supposed experts and computers cannot tell me what it is.
I was wondering if anyone has heard about this or experienced anything similar with your vehicle. Eager to get this fixed.

Post #183722815th Jul 2017 10:04 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

euangibson wrote:
Just a thought....I had a Volvo that did this and it was the MAF (mass air flow) sensor ?

Mine also the MAF. Very nice man from the AA cleaned up my MAF and it stopped the surging. Go figure.

Just started doing it again last week (20k miles further on). MAF clean by me with the MAF aerosol should sort it Smile

30 minute job at the weekend Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #185657412th Sep 2017 7:40 am
CharlieL72

New Zealand 2007 LR3 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
Vehicle stalled and now surging

Hi. Yesterday our TDV6 LR3 stalled on my wife while going down a hill. Would have been relatively slow 30-40km/h. After coming to a stop she restarted it and since it has surged - gently! - throughout the rev range. Idles OK.

Unfortunately we can't see any error messages as we're waiting on a new console to be fitted. The old one has been repeatedly fixed for dry solder joints, so hoping a new one will fix that problem.

A week ago the fuel tank was half full and the vehicle hasn't done much since, so we're pretty sure its not an empty tank.

I suspect this is engine/fuel related, rather than gearbox, but knowing how everything is linked, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Post #195512618th Jun 2018 8:26 pm
Merc007

South Africa 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

@CharlieL72 did you find your answer? im having similar issues and believe it to be fuel related as well

Post #215715428th Jun 2020 3:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >