DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Crank pulley issues- D3 and FL,
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ShootersRest

England 
Crank pulley issues- D3 and FL,

Evening all,

I've read over many posts, and read up on various reports online and else where reference the crank pulleys sheering off/ being a week point on all D3 and FL2's, with a few mentioned on the puma engined defenders.

Has this fault been addressed by LR.

From what I can gather the route cause's are due to,

(A)the bearing within the pulley ( can't clarify as I have not seen any pictures) failing.
(B) the tensioner being being tourqe'd to tight.
(C) the bearing within the tensioner failing.

I take it that these parts are serviceable or replaceable, as such if I changed all the belts these could replaced as a preventative measure.

Also, the boss in doors has agreed that she would except a FL2 as an every day car (before I get the D3) and being that a few here have them, other than a decent set of A/T boots, is there any thing I should be aware of before I go over to the FL forum to ask.

Thanks all

Regards

Post #117388217th Oct 2013 10:49 pm
Cellerdweller

England 

ShootersRest
I'm not sure about crank pulleys sheering of ( someone with more knowledge may assist you with that )
However there are issues with the cambelt tensioner mounting point .The tensioner mounts to the oil pump casting and within a certain chassis range there have been failures of the casting resulting in the tensioner breaking free and catastrophic engine failure is the outcome . If you do a search on this the information will be there for you Thumbs Up
 You're not afraid of the dark are you ?  
Post #117389217th Oct 2013 11:19 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

No reported issues with crank pulleys, AFAIK. Only the oil pump/cambelt tensioner mount issues Thumbs Up

F/L 2's are generally very reliable. But, if/when they go wrong, they are bloody expensive to fix...

Haldex unit is £1300
Rear diff is £700
Steering rack is £450
ABS pump is £1600

Then there is VAT, and fitting ontop of that
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #117392318th Oct 2013 6:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ShootersRest

England 

Evening gents,

Thank you for the information, I stand corrected albeit a little unsure still so please bear with me.

This post http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic93654.html along with others I have read clearly points to the tensioner failing as you mentioned. So the blue coloured rings are the tensioners and the toothed sprocket(s) are the CAM pulleys, ( not crank pulley Embarassed Embarassed must remember the difference).

How has the CAM sprocket snapped due to a non toothed tensioner failing, I can only think that it would be friction between the belt and pulley placing additional stresses on the sprocket, or with the belt being loose the timings are lost and the engine just smashes it's internals to bits??

Either way I will do more digging as I have a feeling I may of missed some thing obvious Exclamation

Ohh and thanks for the info on the freelander Shocked the cost of that haldex unit and ABS pump is madness.
It Can't be as unreliable as the old IRD Etc though lol. My old freelanders 1.8k-series) harmonic ring broke off and was swinging around the shaft at 70mph, now that was a shock, fixed it with lots of super glue and bits of card board from service station Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter then a couple of days later I fitted a K&N air filter, drove sensibly back home and the exhaust blew of from the flexi joint near manifold, it sounded like a tank and the neighbours were not impressed, oh and then water sprayed out of all the gaskets, fixed that with exhaust putty and rad weld, drove it straight to we buy any car and got a bloody good price Rolling with laughter

Well back to the topics for more swatting up.

Cheers gents

Post #117610322nd Oct 2013 7:28 pm
Cellerdweller

England 

Hi no the blue ones are idler pulleys the tensioner is the black one at 9 o'clock .
In this case the tensioner is still mounted where it should be on the oil pump casting . The failure in this case looks to bee the camshaft sprocket bolt . As you can see there is rust and the thread is distorted indicating a some kind of anomaly with the bolt/ camshaft.
Quite rightly this kind of failure would most likely result in catastrophic engine failure as the cams stop turning more or less immediately and the crank will continue to rotate for a short period in time resulting
In piston /valve contact Big Cry
 You're not afraid of the dark are you ?  
Post #117618422nd Oct 2013 9:41 pm
blue200tdi

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It's the TD5 that has crank pulley trouble at around £250 for a new one, there will be a small squeak when you turn the engine off just as it stops...squeak. Very Happy
 You guys are gonna be busier than a test bench in a plunger factory!
Java black 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE AUTO.
2014 Kawasaki ZZR1400 Performance sport. 

Post #117626123rd Oct 2013 1:15 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >