DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Tips on buying
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
afinman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Tips on buying

Hi
I've been around the houses looking for a new car. I have a young family and our two golfs just don't cut it any more space wise if we want to go anywhere with the requisite stuff to stay over etc.

I've looked at a bmw 5 series touring - like driving a long, low tunnel. An Audi A6 all road which felt crampt in the back, a Q5 which was ok for space, but the ride was fidgety and got expensive with options and the dashboard is pretty much the same as when the A5 launched in 2006 and I'm afraid I couldn't live with it.
My favourite so far, disco withstanding has been an A8, but at 32, I don't think it is particularly me. Before any one says anything, it would be a nearly new A8 for around the £45k mark.

I do like the look of the new RR and RRS, but they're just too expensive. And it would appear even the outgoing RR would have to be a 61 or 12 plate to come in around the £50k mark.

My dad recently got a new Freelander 2 and has a good relationship with a local dealer and I've already been along and test driven an HSE which was rather good. The downside is that compared to everything else, VED and servicing is on the pricey side, not to mention expecting to get 25-30mpg out of it.

I've already been given an initial finance quote @ 6.9% with £3,600 off the price of the car without asking for any reduction at all. Advice on what to push for would be really useful. I'd be looking to do a PCP really and would hope to get the finance down to 5%. I expect to have a good deposit of the golf, plus another £4k, so around £13,500 in total.

I've read elsewhere on here to expect to get a 7.5% discount, but am really looking for advice on the finance too - dropping a percent would save £50 a month which would help with the fuel bills.

Thanks

Post #108100131st Mar 2013 11:25 am
Gabbo

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mrs Gabbo has touareg 245 altitude with blue motion technology and tbh we wouldn't be swapping it for D4 If it wasnt for the fact we have 3 kids under 5 and cant get them in the back so we have vw shuttle as well. Both are going and being replaced with the d4

Economy is low 30s locally and high 30s on a run. Mrs Gabbo doesn't want it to go and shes fussy!!
 D4 Fuji White HSE with Black Pack, TV, RSE, Tow Pack, Side Steps & Heated Steering Wheel  
Post #10817671st Apr 2013 9:22 pm
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #10817811st Apr 2013 9:33 pm
DerbyshireDisco

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Should be able to get a better discount if you are taking the finance with the dealer.
 Displaced Yorkshireman.
=^:^=
SDV6 Auto obviously, Loire blue/Ebony, ugly kid glass, RLD wheel protector, private plate and maybe side steps. 

Post #10817951st Apr 2013 9:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
afinman

Thanks for the feedback. Looking for a good PCP deal - am hoping the fact I haven't ground them down on the car's price will help things along on the finance.

The salesman stuck to the 6.9% stock LR finance rate. I'm hoping for something closer to 5% really as this will make a considerable difference to the price of the car in terms of the price I'll actually pay. Seem to have around a 5% discount at the moment. Have told the dealer that it is all subject to the finance looking right - I'm hoping the dealer can subsidise the finance a little / make a contribution to get things moving.

I've put a contact request in for the Prestige Finance people who sponsor this site. Other suggestions welcome.

Post #10818131st Apr 2013 10:09 pm
afinman

Not really got far - the dealer is seeing what they can do on PCP, but apparently 6.9 is a good rate Sad

Chris from Prestige Car Finance called me and has given me a good HP quote which I'm mulling over - 5 year term and more a month, but saves £3k over the term - basically £50 a month and there would be no baloon which is nice.

Basically for £120 a month more than the 6.9% PCP, I'd only owe £8900 at the end of 4 years or less and I doubt I'll stick to the 10,000 mile PCP mileage anyway so the MGFV is a little meaningless.

Thanks Chris, btw, definitely recommend him.

Dealer is now tapping up landrover to see what they can work up, but not overly hopeful. I asked for 5% and the bloke just said no without even checking. If they can get down to 5.5, that should be fine though.

Thoughts welcome - financing £50k is still costing me £8k over 4 years = £180 a month in interest alone surely.

Post #10821592nd Apr 2013 5:35 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Beter arranging own finance and going for a cash deal. Play one dealer off against another. Then hit them at the end of the month ready to sign, for a better price. They will be keen to get in in that months figures and may even take a loss for the business.
Always deal with the sales manager not sales staff. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #10823562nd Apr 2013 11:05 pm
afinman

That's a no nonsense approach. I'm going to ring the sales manager tomorrow morning I think as the business manager rang and essentially annoyed me. He just said Hi, its Paul. I said Hi back, expecting him to launch into some sort of proper intro, but no. He then said the same again and asked me what numbers I had. I said I had some good numbers, and HP looked interesting as the interest level was 60% of the PCP offering.

I asked him what he had, he said he had nothing and asked what I was looking for. I said I was looking to ideally place it all in the same place, but that was dependent on the finance rate being right. He said if I wanted to improve on the stock 6.9%, he'd have to talk to Land Rover. I said fine (hoping he would have a starting position better than the print out I left the dealership with!). I'm waiting for him to come back.

I have signed up and paid a deposit and was happy with the discount - broadspeed are posting the same price for the spec I've indicated (but need to chase them up for finance options).

I've already paid a deposit and my father bought from them around 6 weeks ago. Deposit was contingent on getting the finance right really.

Am going to call the bank tomorrow for other finance options - barclays mortgage reserve sounds like a cheap way to fund car HP style, just seems daft the dealer can't finance their own car properly.

Post #10823602nd Apr 2013 11:14 pm
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

When I looked I was quite surprised that garages still dont quote APR whereas banks do. Maybe I am wrong here but it wasnt comparing Apples/Apples on figures.

I managed to get 5.7% from my bank and then got 8% off plus a VERY good P/Ex for my car and compared to others I think I walked away with close on 12% over what I could have gotten elsewhere - figures make sense to me Whistle

Get it all lined up with separate finance and as others state - go in about the 25th of the month and see what they will do

Good luck. Thumbs Up
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #10824713rd Apr 2013 11:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >