Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Tintent options.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Tintent options.

Despite having yet another cracking two weeks camping in Devon as part of the usual big group we go with, we’re considering a Caravan for next year, but don’t have a clue where to start, and don’t have a huge budget.

A tent has always been good for us as we tow a big RIB down to Devon and for the journey there and back use it as a trailer for all the camping, diving and boating gear we need.

A caravan would give us a more comfortable home for the two weeks, and possibly longer over the summer period.

The plan would be to tow it down at the beginning of the summer, leave it in storage on the site we use for a small charge when we’re not there, then tow the boat down for the holiday. We can use it all summer as a holiday home, then hopefully during the winter for more local expeditions.

Anyway, some considerations.
Mrs Nasher and the younger Nashers could spend quite a bit of time in it, so a big twin axle jobbie with plenty of room would be good. The Boat on it’s twin axle trailer with all the camping gear is @2.5 to 3tns, over 8M long, and much wider than the D3, so I’ve no worries towing something big.

We’d like a fixed double bed preferably at one end of the van and obviously a shower, toilet etc.

My 16yr old is nearly 6’2” already, and quite wide, my 14yr old is catching up quickly, so small bunk beds are out of the question, all the vans we looked at briefly last year when starting to think about it had beds that were too small.
Is our only option an awning with a bedroom where they can use proper sized camp beds?

An oven and cooking facilities at a more normal height would be far better than what we put up with in the tent.

No more popping round the back of the tent in the middle of the night – If you know what I mean.

We’re probably going to be looking at something between 5 and 10 years old.
I’d rather buy something with more space and better equipped that needed something fixing than spent the same money on a newer, smaller, less well equipped van.

Any thoughts on our specifics would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nasher.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #114489917th Aug 2013 6:51 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Budget seems to make the difference from what I saw today.

The Bailey GT65 Turin we saw today had a fixed double one end and the seats the other end could be used as two singles or a double, all would fit a 6 footer in my opinion.

Large Hobby seems to be much better value on the secondhand market as whilst a disco can tow it some others can't plus this traveller image seems to have them tarnished in UK.

Will leave the rest to be experts....

Post #114490217th Aug 2013 7:01 pm
Pelyma

England 

I'd join the Caravan Club and look out for an advert for someone selling up, you can get great deals on a whole set up. In the mean time go around some dealers to get an idea of what layout would work for you.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #114490317th Aug 2013 7:02 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

+1 for Pelyma. Some visits to dealers is almost a "must". Must be a fair few dealers between " North of Pompey" and the M4, unless of course you really are north of Pompey

Post #114490417th Aug 2013 7:13 pm
Pelyma

England 

Carry up the A3 to Micheal Jordan at Gomshall near Guildford, a good place to see lots of vans
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #114491517th Aug 2013 7:47 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I dont' know what the general consensus on this matter is in the UK but showering in the van is really something I would not consider. Although our van has a combined toilet/shower' we have never used the shower. Damp is one of the more important considerations when buying secondhand when it comes to the state of things!

Toilet is a must but I imagine you will not find any big-ish van without it.

As to the layout; I would consider a fixed bed and a seating that can be converted to a double or two single beds. Your offspring will most probably not be joining your vacations in 2-3 years? So they can camp in their own tent but can sleep inside once you convert the seating, which you normally will not.

I see many caravans accompanied by small quecha tents for the youngsters. Seems a good way to have them nearby but not inside.

Look at the loading capacity of the van. Mine can load 200 kgs after the awning is on board. 200 kgs is not much. I have no mover and cannot install it due to weight limits. Once I load up gas bottless, BBQ, bottles of toilet fluid, table, chairs and food, I'm out of loading capacity!

Good luck hunting!

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #114496117th Aug 2013 9:13 pm
Mike_Hammond

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Don't limit yourself to twin axle, big singles are a touch lighter and easier to move without churning up the pitch. I've just bought a 24' elddis on a single and it tows really well.Like you I'm used to towing big twin trailers but remember a van weighs a lot less so doesn't really need it.

I think mine is around 1100 unladen and 1450 loaded so 350ish to play with, compared to my big ifor which has had a couple of ton on board it's a doddle Wink

Post #114506318th Aug 2013 9:37 am
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thanks Guys.

We'll certainly try to visit a few dealers to see different layouts and get an idea of what suits.

All the vans we looked at before couldn't accommodate our eldest lying down, but we'll look again.

we're pretty sure at this stage that the boys will be coming with us for a few years yet.
Their mates meet us there, we're in a great big group and they get to play with fast boats, do a bit of diving and generally muck about for two weeks.
There are older teenagers in the group that keep coming as well as younger ones and they all get along really well. But, we'll see I suppose.

The thing that surprises me is I didn't realise how little extra gear you could load up in a Caravan to take with you.
The boys inflatable and outboard plus the diving gear would be too much by the look of it, so I'd have to carry on loading up the boat with that sort of thing.

Nasher
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #114511418th Aug 2013 12:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >