Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Tin tent towing tips - long distance prep
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AdamB

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Tin tent towing tips - long distance prep

Hi all, we recently got our first caravan which is a signed axle of about 1.5t and 25ft.

We've done one short trip which other than finding the intake elbow was dislodged and the top radiator hose was being cut by the engine cover all was good and it towed it with complete ease.

We've got another trip a couple of hours from home in a couple of weeks, another similar a few weeks after that and then Wales with a 6 or 7 hour drive away later in the year after it's MOT.

It's done around 143k, I am not aware of any issues and it's caused me pretty much no trouble in the 8k I've done in it since I got it last November but wondered if there was anything any fellow towers do prior to taking long trips?

Hoping to do France at some point once we've got the hang of everything.

Post #23748198th Aug 2024 8:43 pm
Cresco750

New Zealand 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

A transmission service, if not already done?
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE
SOLD: 2005 2.7 TDV6 HSE Auto 

Post #23748208th Aug 2024 9:04 pm
AdamB

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

That was done a little before I got it along with the diffs oils etc. I've just done a service with millers oil and fitted new Brembo standard front discs and pads. Tyres are new Michelin Latitude Cross on Defender 18's.

I think it's about as good as a D4 can be. I've done a 3 day coast to coast lanning trip complete with a five or so house drive up there and back either side of it too now I think of it. It's just the long tow which will be the new experience.

Post #23748268th Aug 2024 11:22 pm
Cresco750

New Zealand 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Whilst you’re wise being cautious, try not to over think it too much. In my opinion, as long as the servicing is up to date (which it sounds like you’re well on top of?), then you’re probably as prepared as you need to be? 1.5T is nothing for these vehicles to tow.
Earlier this year, my family and I embarked on a 5000km road trip towing our two ton caravan and our family of six, plus a mountain of gear, with a 2016 D4 that I’d only just purchased 48hrs prior (a whole other story in itself!). I had the knowledge that the vehicles servicing was up to date, and although I acknowledged the risks involved with a journey like that with an “unknown” vehicle it performed flawlessly.
 2016 LR4 SDV6 HSE
SOLD: 2005 2.7 TDV6 HSE Auto 

Post #23748329th Aug 2024 12:02 am
Froogle-Yorkshireman

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Sounds like you are well prepared.

Just ensure that you have a good safety net in terms of breakdown cover that will get you and the caravan home if the need ever arose. IMHO the MayDay service that the Caravan and Motorhome Club offer is the most comprehensive and not too expensive.

Other than that, sit back and enjoy the tow Thumbs Up

Post #23748399th Aug 2024 8:16 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Pack some tools! The thing I struggled with one caravan trip was taking the viscous fan off to repair a power steering pipe. I wished I'd put my fan spanners in the car.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #23748429th Aug 2024 9:47 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Bit of an obscure observation but I always put a label on the dash to remind me we are towing. Post-it note, something like that.

I've towed my M3 track car around the country quite a bit, back full of kit (Commercial Disco) so I can't see out of the rearview mirror and because the thing has so much torque (and tows beautifully), I forget the damn thing is there despite it being obvious in my side mirrors.

It also keeps me out of the third lane on motorways. I've seen a spate of people towing in the outside lane of the M6 recently. Particularly Ford Transits with air compressors and diggers in tow. Either they don't know or don't care, probably the latter these days.

Enjoy your trip, there is no finer towing vehicle Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #23748439th Aug 2024 9:50 am
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

i usually just schedule my annual service before the towing season starts then just hook up and forget it

although i did forget this year and have done 2 x 400 mile round trips so far with no adverse issues, shes in for service next week.
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #23748489th Aug 2024 3:02 pm
mark the spark

2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

well
its the loonies in the german saloons towing a loaded small trailer doing 90 that scare me.
 MY05 SE D3 Manual my first LR what a car
MY10 HSE D4 auto
MY14 XXV more buttons than the spaceshuttle 

Post #23748499th Aug 2024 3:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >