Throttle hangs for a few sec when tapping the throttle pedal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
grenness

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Throttle hangs for a few sec when tapping the throttle pedal

2007 Disco 3 HSE PP
Approx 145.000km on the dial

I have lately (as of last month and a half - wich corresponds with when the ECU was upgraded to latest software by LR dealer but I'm not 100% sure it has anything to do with that) noticed, especially when driving out of the workplace parking lot or out into the street from my private garage, that when I lightly and quickly "tap" the throttle pedal - giving it just a quick touch then releasing immediately, the engine RPM stays at the increased level for 3-4-5 seconds and I have to brake with some power in order to stop.

A few days ago I cleaned the MAP sensor which was full of goo, but unfortunately it didn't help.

My car has been chip tuned with Bluefin from Superchips, but I restored the original program a week ago in order to see if that had something to do with it. But nothing changed. I have continued to run "trim free" for the moment, though.

Has anyone else experinced anything similar?

Is this a "feature" with the newest ECU software? I find that a bit hard to believe, as it is very different from any other car I've driven, and something I need to warn my wife about before she attempts to carefully park the car in an underground parking or similar...

Thanks,
Christopher

Post #11131745th Jun 2013 5:15 pm
Saukku

Finland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Throttle hangs for a few sec when tapping the throttle p

Hello,

I've been suffering from the same problem for months. I haven't really found any solution from this forum but some here share the situation. I cant say if the prob was there when i bought the car last summer, but after my oil temp sensor failed, I realized something was wrong because engine was running rich and that made this even worse for that time. Temp sensor was fixed but this annoying thing is still there...

My LR dealer admits there is a problem but all the sensor readings are "ok" so no one knows where to start.
Mine does this only at 0-40 km/h and on 1-3 gears. Engine warm or cold, no difference... Egr valves tested ok...
When standing stll and pressing throttle pedal, revs drop smoothly and fine, so the problem occurs only when driving.

Please, if you find a way to fix this, point me to the right direction! I also keep on searching the solution and will get back if I get any.

Regards, Saukku

Post #11132605th Jun 2013 7:34 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Had similar offroading a few times, car pulls forward when braking, but never got to the bottom of it. Sad

Post #11132665th Jun 2013 7:39 pm
Saukku

Would a sticking butterfly valve in the throttle body affect to this? Is there a feedback going to ecu if butterfly is not closing properly/soon enough?
Going to clean my throttle body later, hope that helps...

Post #11132925th Jun 2013 8:09 pm
grenness

Norway 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Saukku wrote:
(...) but after my oil temp sensor failed, I realized something was wrong because engine was running rich and that made this even worse for that time. Temp sensor was fixed but this annoying thing is still there...

I forgot to mention, my oil sensor too gives error codes, so it will be replaced next week.
Too bad it didn't improve your situation, I guess it won't fix my problem either, then...

Christopher

Post #11133145th Jun 2013 8:43 pm
fmb123

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have had this problem, but not as bad. only does it in first gear, when cold in the first couple of minutes of driving. - When i come of the accelerator to either change gear or stop the revs are held for 1 or 2 seconds. always wondered about it but never bothered me.

Post #11135836th Jun 2013 12:40 pm
Saukku

grenness wrote:
Saukku wrote:
(...) but after my oil temp sensor failed, I realized something was wrong because engine was running rich and that made this even worse for that time. Temp sensor was fixed but this annoying thing is still there...

I forgot to mention, my oil sensor too gives error codes, so it will be replaced next week.
Too bad it didn't improve your situation, I guess it won't fix my problem either, then...

Christopher

Hi,
I really hope that sensor change works for you! I sent PM to Liam hoping that he finds out something from his database...
I'll keep you updated if anything finds out.

Saukku

Post #11136126th Jun 2013 1:48 pm
Jacornel

Netherlands 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I have the same problem. All sensors checked, all ok. Recently got stranded with a faulty injector. Changed injector 4, running again, but still the problem with sticking throttle. Guy at land rover said either way check/change all injectors or change the ecu. Problem seems to be engine management related, because when kt sticks and you put it in neutral then the revs drop right away. Really want this problem gone, but changing the ecu or all injectors seems like an expensive thing to ‘try’ to fix it....

Post #214879024th May 2020 4:40 pm
Jacornel

Netherlands 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Still no solution found? I really want to get rid of this problem. Almost crashed it last week while off roading. It sometimes goes up to 2000rpm, and that's a lot of torque to stop in low range....

Post #215440116th Jun 2020 12:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >