Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Thinking of Buying a LRD3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
steve_d3

Thinking of Buying a LRD3

I test drived a LRD3 and was very happy with it, and I am seriously considering buying one. I want to use it for off road stuff, I live in South Africa, so I guess I will be driving this car on off beaten tracks , like deserts, wild life reserves etc. So it has to be 100% reliable and no breakdown in these weird places, caus i could be over 1000 km from the nearest dealer. How reliable is the D3, I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used it in the way I plan..Smile
Anyway, there is this website which I dont even want to mention here which speaks very badly about the D3, aparently the guy took two deliveries and decided to have his cash back..so he is a bit p***d off I guess that is why he has written the Blog...but I am sure it cant be the reality because LR has sold probably over 100,000 of the D3 worldwide...and I read on the Ford site that the D3 has been the most heavily tested car, 2 million miles !!!! in all sorts of conditions...so my guess is that those who have been complaining, the few, may have had failures due to a batch of bad components ???
The airspring is a bit of a novalty and i read somewhere it has to be replaced after 70,000 km. I know of only two other car manufacturers who use it Merc and Toyota...so maybe the Air Springs are a bit of a new technology that has yet to be fully proven...

Post #10141713th Nov 2006 7:20 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Under the conditions you describe, I'd be inclined to buy something lo-tech & tried & tested. Land Rover Defender or Toyota Hi-Lux. with leaf springs!
Reliability issues appear to have been sorted with the D3 & it will be a million times more comfy than Defender etc. but 1000km to nearest dealer Shocked

Post #10141913th Nov 2006 7:29 pm
steve_d3

The distances are fairly phenomenal here. For example a drive from South Africa to Namibia (desert) is 2000 km. I know someone who has just purchased a D3 and want to drive it 10,000 km from south africa to the UK. Shocked

Post #10142513th Nov 2006 7:49 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

do.s he want a co driver 8)
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #10142613th Nov 2006 7:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
steve_d3

I dont know, I will ask and let you know... Very Happy

Post #10142813th Nov 2006 7:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >