Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

What would you think if......
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
jollybodger

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
What would you think if......

Tonka is now at 101,500 and suffered a major hissy fit approximately a month ago. Red electric light came on (according to my wife) but was ignored and went off. I then used car, saw yellow lights, lights switching on that I didn't even knew existed, followed by red lights and total loss of all power. Interesting as turning off Amersham Hill in High wycombe when the steering and brakes and lights all went at rush hour.
Had a new alternator and battery sorted, then the car does the same again on the M4 whilst wife is at the helm today.
Now I am not paranoid and I don't believe that Tonka objects to Donna driving the car, but what are the chances of an alternator failing so quickly? Worked perfectly yesterday on a fast run up to and back from Warwick yesterday.

Last edited by jollybodger on 22nd Feb 2012 5:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #90023122nd Feb 2012 5:03 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Brake Bulb and/or brake pedal switch...?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #90023322nd Feb 2012 5:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jollybodger

OK changed rear right brake bulb around same time, but would that make an alternator fail, or am I missing you on this Bodsey?

Post #90023922nd Feb 2012 5:12 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I'm saying that it may not be the alternator causing the Christmas Tree lights.

If cheap brake bulbs are used, this can cause the system to have a hissy fit. Also, the brake Pedal switch has been known to either corode or have a build up of crud, so it thinks its braking when youi are accelerating and again has a hissy fit.

Recomendation is for only LR BRake Bulbs which actually are Lucas bulbs, but not the same as the cheap lucas bulbs from Halfrauds.
Brake switch is about £15, but worth having a quick look at it anyway before buying another part.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #90024122nd Feb 2012 5:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jollybodger

OK so the Halfrauds bulbs need to go (where do you get quality bulbs?). The AA stated that the voltages from the new battery were low, and suggested that the alternator wasn't working. Would a short from the brake switch or cheap bulb cause a total electrical shutdown though?
Apologies Bodsy - no "e" this time! Smile

Post #90024422nd Feb 2012 5:37 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

No power at all? What happens when you try re-starting? No power still?

Could also be a poor ground point or the connectors loose on the battery. You could undo them, tap them down onthe battery (tap gently, not heavy hammer style) then tighten them up again.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #90025922nd Feb 2012 6:04 pm
jollybodger

According to the wife no effect at all when swiching on/off. Nothing on the dash. She now tells me that the "No special programmes available" sign came on when she started it up this morning. Anyway recovered to the garage that did the battery/alternator replacement so will await developments.
Typical, charged up the M40 brilliantly yesterday, made sure that I got it well ventilated after Donna's M4/M25 driving that it normally gets.
Smile

Post #90027122nd Feb 2012 6:14 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Make sure your battery terminals are not dry / corroded; I always use a light coating of petroleum jelly (Vaseline to you and me Laughing ) to keep them nice and clean making good electrical contact.

Wink

Post #90027222nd Feb 2012 6:15 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

need to check that the negative terminal fits snug on the battery and cannot be moved left or right with a decent push - often you'll find that the newer batteries have around 3mm difference to the original one so need a new battery lead (around £7 from LR dealer).

Also make sure you tap the terminals down on to the battery so that the top of the battery terminal and lead end are level - this will also help to ensure yer battery stays in good nick

Throw out ALL non OEM LR bulbs

Check the suspension diagnostics when plugged in at LR as this might be an error due to ossilation after poor wheel alignment by non OEM LR dealer OR failing/failed height sensor on one or more corners (measure from the centre of the hub to the underside edge of the wheel arch on each wheel with the engine running and the car on level ground to work out which one might be sitting higher than the other/s)

Change brake switch (only about £10)

ALL OF THE ABOVE I HAVE EXPERIENCED WHICH HAVE RESULTED IN THE VEHICLE COMING UP WITH ERROR MESSAGES of a like you've experienced ie AT off/transmission etc.

The complete shut down I had was due to the alternator/battery going fubar - you might want to check those terminal to make sure that sitting right on the battery if yer getting interm shut down with no power Thumbs Up

Post #90028822nd Feb 2012 6:34 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Wonder if it's worth having one of these brake switches in my small collection of bits & bobs in the car. Is the switch easy to fit?

Post #90029022nd Feb 2012 6:40 pm
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

Can't help but worry about my future with a D4, never having owned one past 40,000 (Traded in old D3 for Audi then mind no serious faults on it). Will it just get terribly unreliable as it gets older, I intend to keep this for a long time as nothing else on the market comes close.
 2023 Ineos Grenadier 3.0 Diesel Commercial
2022 Mini John Cooper Works Hatch
2021 Golf MK8 GTD
1978 Land Rover SIII
1993 Range Rover Classic 3.9 V8

2007- Range Rover TDV8 - SOLD
2020 - Discovery 5 3.0 SD6 Landmark - SOLD
2020 - Defender 110 D240 First Edition - SOLD
2012- Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE - SOLD
2009- Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS - SOLD
2007- Discovery 3 TDV6 GS- SOLD
2001- Defender 90 Td5 - SOLD 

Post #90029522nd Feb 2012 6:47 pm
jollybodger

I would happily buy another D3, this is the 2nd electrical issue after 7 years and 101,500 miles. Yes its annoying but being realistic not bad for a comfortable, smooth, safe beast that has until now be a reliable work horse. Your D4 - now thats a different beast isn't it. Much more electrics I thought when sitting in one at the Stealers recently!

Post #90029822nd Feb 2012 6:50 pm
mickyd4

United Kingdom 

I won't be going anywhere I don't think, was seriously going to chop her in last week for a New BMW 530d touring. When I got back in the D4 I just thought, this is the real deal isn't it!!!! Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Just worry as she gets older. As I said n major issues with D3 tiny niggly things and I could count the number on one hand so it isn't too bad. Just see some of the horror stories on here and the repair bills and they make me wince!
 2023 Ineos Grenadier 3.0 Diesel Commercial
2022 Mini John Cooper Works Hatch
2021 Golf MK8 GTD
1978 Land Rover SIII
1993 Range Rover Classic 3.9 V8

2007- Range Rover TDV8 - SOLD
2020 - Discovery 5 3.0 SD6 Landmark - SOLD
2020 - Defender 110 D240 First Edition - SOLD
2012- Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE - SOLD
2009- Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS - SOLD
2007- Discovery 3 TDV6 GS- SOLD
2001- Defender 90 Td5 - SOLD 

Post #90030722nd Feb 2012 7:08 pm
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DSL wrote:
Wonder if it's worth having one of these brake switches in my small collection of bits & bobs in the car. Is the switch easy to fit?
Yes it is, if you know where it is. Took the workshop manager at LR about 30 seconds but you need gynaecologists fingers.

Regards,

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #90066023rd Feb 2012 3:09 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Anyone know the part number or is it just a case of walk into your local stealer and ask for "one of your finest D3 brake pedal switches oh parts dude?"?

Post #90068323rd Feb 2012 3:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >