Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

Test drive tomorrow
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Landroverfan1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Test drive tomorrow

Having my first test drive in the D5 tomorrow morning. So far I’ve sat in one but not actually driven it. Indeed it is remarkably ugly but hopefully when you’re inside driving, you don’t notice that. And the key thing is to avoid seeing it’s reflection as you drive along.

My needs for a car are: comfortable for long distance (8+ hours in a single day), off road ability, boot space, and family transport. The D4 is perfect for this so the key thing I will be looking at is why would I want to replace it with the D5.

Post #188256922nd Nov 2017 7:42 pm
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I will be interested in your thoughts

I Wont pay the ridiculous price for a new D5 model and I am waiting to tyre kick the new Mercedes Benz dual cab ute.

Post #188268623rd Nov 2017 8:25 am
Landroverfan1

Test drive complete. An HSE 3ltr. So in my own very humble opinion:

The seating position for me (at 6ft 4) was good, with plenty of adjustment. I have two seating positions in the D4: the sit upright and panic mode for town driving and the more relaxed motorway cruising position. In the D5 these two "settings" were much more adjustable although I felt you had to stretch for the steering wheel even having adjusted it and with my ape-like arms. The driver seat was firmer but that seemed to give better support, especially in the lower part of my back. Seat squab could be better.

The dashboard and general front layout is more modern and slicker than the D4 but nice you can still operate the buttons with gloves on. However I did find reading the fuel gauge and the engine temperature more difficult and there was a little too much information to see. Although having said that, I did like the speed limit sign in the top left.

Driving: I did not notice any change in dimensions and found it easy to negotiate narrow streets in town. The suspension is harder than the D4 but not to the detriment of the ride quality. Visibility out the back was absolutely fine. The turning circle worse than the D4 and I didn't actually notice that it handled better than the D4 (I'm sure it does but I didn't feel with a harder suspension, etc it made any difference). When you stamp on the throttle there is the familiar pause you get in most Land Rovers and then it gathers momentum more rapidly than the D4 (again IMHO). I liked the car lowering (very quickly) when you get out.

Other things: boot seems smaller but did not test with our usual clutter. Flappy down thing in boot is slightly "well that'll do to keep 'em quiet". It's fine but no split tailgate of the D4.

Conclusion: as per my previous post, I wanted to see if the D5 would be a viable replacement for the D4. I love the D4 and it ticks all the right boxes but getting back into it after the test drive, it did feel dated. The D5 is indeed a contender but it is not good or advanced enough to make me change cars until I actually have to.

Post #188272123rd Nov 2017 10:48 am
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Times on your side, IMHO LR are going to have to revamp thier offering on the D5.

The D5 is 3.5 months old in Australian and already there are over 100 dealer demos for sale on the inter web, no one is buying them here, to expensive, every desirable feature is an expensive option + gutless 4 cylinder engines.

Post #188291323rd Nov 2017 8:59 pm
Fitzy73

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Good to hear your thoughts on your time with the D5.

I have now decided to run my D4 until it becomes uneconomic to repair (which could potentially be next Tuesday Laughing ), as sadly there is no longer any Land Rover I would like to buy.

We have just had a BMW i3 for a few days (proof I do like some odd looking cars!) and are just about to order one of those instead. Clearly it could never replace the D4, but as a second car it is amazing and I can’t believe how much I loved driving it.
 Andy

Post #188291623rd Nov 2017 9:12 pm
Landroverfan1

I think much of our decision when the time comes to change cars will depend on whether we are still allowed to use diesel.

Post #188296924th Nov 2017 6:59 am
Fitzy73

The future of diesel will have a big impact on what I eventually replace my Discovery with, but right now there just isn’t anything I like enough to make the switch, but I guess that’s a good thing!
 Andy

Post #188298324th Nov 2017 8:16 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

Good thread. I think that most of us who were disappointed with the D5 are taking the decision to run our D4s longer to see what happens with fuel choices, competitor offerings and D5 facelift (you never know).

I went to look at the XC90. Like it a lot but there are huge spec gaps that I might fall through. The cheapest spec is diesel only (well apart from the hugely expensive petrol hybrid that weighs too much and robs boot space) and you can't have paddles (I use mine on the D4). With the regular petrol option they try to force you into bling wheels that only work for urban cruisers. Sunroofs, heated rear seats and air suspension are all options. Spec a car up and the pricing is high too.

Easy option....keep what I have for longer...or sell out and lease/PCP a Q7 as Audi are throwing massive discounts at the range.
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #188300124th Nov 2017 9:29 am
Landroverfan1

I've also looked at the XC90. Super car and very comfortable seats. Definitely another car on the short list.

Post #188302124th Nov 2017 10:38 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Top Gear magazine Family SUV award 2017, Skoda Kodiaq (never heard of it, but better start looking) beats D5.
 d4 HSE  
Post #188302324th Nov 2017 10:44 am
110CSW

United Kingdom 

That Skoda is not pretty to my mind plus try getting in the third row of seats....if you get in take your phone with you so you can post a video of the next stage....getting out!
 2014MY Discovery  
Post #188302524th Nov 2017 10:54 am
JackNorris

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Fitzy73 wrote:
The future of diesel will have a big impact on what I eventually replace my Discovery with, but right now there just isn’t anything I like enough to make the switch, but I guess that’s a good thing!

Im in the same boat. What is 1st year tax on a D5 now following budget? £1600?
 MY2023 Discovery 5 R-Dynamic 3.0
MY2020 Discovery 5 Landmark 3.0 - SOLD
MY2005 Discovery 3 V8 4.4 HSE - SOLD
MY2019 Discovery 5 SE 3.0 - LR Replaced !
MY2005 Discovery 3 S 2.7 - SOLD
MY2016 Discovery 4 Graphite - SOLD
MY2015 Discovery 4 SE Tech - SOLD 

Post #188302624th Nov 2017 10:54 am
RDR

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Fitzy73 wrote:
Good to hear your thoughts on your time with the D5.

I have now decided to run my D4 until it becomes uneconomic to repair (which could potentially be next Tuesday Laughing ), as sadly there is no longer any Land Rover I would like to buy.

We have just had a BMW i3 for a few days (proof I do like some odd looking cars!) and are just about to order one of those instead. Clearly it could never replace the D4, but as a second car it is amazing and I can’t believe how much I loved driving it.

Off Topic

Great choice with the I3 we have had one for a year or more, only other car to put a perma grin on my face its like driving a scalextric Thumbs Up

Currently have a D4, D5 and I3 on the drive. D4 is still best for us, the 5 is a nice car but just doesn't have the practicality we need.
 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
MY12 HSE - Gone
MY16 HSE Luxury - Sold
MY20 D5 HSE - Sold
Current RR L460 PHEV 

Post #188303424th Nov 2017 11:14 am
Fitzy73

I really couldn’t believe how much I loved the i3 and how much I miss it already. It is certainly the only car that has given me the same enjoyment as the Discovery.

The reviews all said it was quick and I now know why the salesman initially put it in eco pro mode to start us off. Ride and handling was also much better than I thought and I do love the barn doors (I could stand it on end and think of them as a split tailgate Whistle ).

That’s an impressive fleet!
 Andy

Post #188306924th Nov 2017 1:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >