DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

TDV6 Oil Pump and crankshaft oil seal installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Manaman

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
TDV6 Oil Pump and crankshaft oil seal installation

Hello, Very Happy

I'm new to this Forum and happy to publish my first post. I have read many good posts over the last few months that have helped me keep my Discovery in good working order, so many thanks to you all.

I just started a new project in replacing the timing belts and oil pump, since the main dealer never bothered to replace the pump with the redesigned housing when they did the cambelt at 140,000 KM. Luckily, the mount didn't fail at 220,000 KM.

So anyway, my question pertains to the installation of the Teflon / PTFE crankshaft seal. The pump I currently bought has "stops or half-moons shaped pieces that center the oil pump to the crankshaft" that don't allow you to install the 7mm wide seal further than 10mm in, ie recessed by 3mm. Apparently, even if you install the seal right up until it bottoms out, the oil drain hole below the seal is still uncovered.

Is this a acceptable or must the seal be installed without bottoming out, and only be recessed by 1mm so the "eye" of the drain hole is further uncovered? The strange thing is that the drain hole slot on the bottom of the oil pump that is flush with the sump is very thin, so I don't see why you can't install the seal all the way in.

The reason why I ask is that I managed to scratch the crankshaft while removing the old seal exactly where the new Teflon seal would normally ride, so if I install the seal further in, the seal lips will ride on a smooth undamaged portion of the crank. I have removed all traces and ridges of the scratch so that the seal isn't damaged when I slide it on.

I have attached a photo so you can see the damaged portion of the crank and the portion behind that is clean.

The only other solution would be to order a 35x50x10mm double lip Viton seal that is 10 mm wide with the lips riding on either side of the damaged portion.

I hope I'm being clear, and please don't hesitate to ask my if you need any additional clarifications.

Many thanks for your advice!!! Bow down

Click image to enlarge

Post #213330831st Mar 2020 10:01 am
john ryan

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3

You can push the seal in to the stops. It will be recessed slightly, and this is correct.

Post #213332131st Mar 2020 10:48 am
Manaman

Alright thanks!

So using the Land Rover special tool that pushes the seal in just 1mm isn't necessarily right?

Post #213339831st Mar 2020 1:40 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You can manage without it but be very careful, the seals dont like being distorted to much or they leak, some have used a big socket, I have even printed a tool and it works fine, but I also have the LR tool that I use all the time.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #213343531st Mar 2020 3:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Manaman

Thank you.. so you can confirm that I can push the seal in to the end, without risk of blocking the oil drain hole? I don't have the tool, but I have a socket set with the exact dimensions so it won't be an issue putting the seal in straight.

What I really need to know is that due to my crank having slight surface damage, I need to push the seal until it bottoms out if I want the seal lip to run on a clean portion of the crankshaft. So my only concern is blanking out the oil drain hole or restricting it too much.

Sorry for double checking, but I don't want to risk having to open it again.

Many thanks

Post #213344731st Mar 2020 3:40 pm
Flack

On the new style pumps you cant insert the seal to far, if you look through the hole there are three tabs that stop the seal going to far and covering the oil drain hole.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #213350531st Mar 2020 6:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ph1ll

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Flack wrote:
I have even printed a tool and it works fine

Hi Flack, do you have an STL or link for the 3D printed tool you could share?

Thanks in advance.

Post #21660156th Aug 2020 10:52 am
Flack

@ph1ll

Send me your email in a pm and I can email you the stl file I created.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #21660926th Aug 2020 2:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >