Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

TDV6 Glowplugs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I was just about to start a new thread reporting problems I have been having in cold starting over the past week when I came upon this thread. My Disco is about 21 months old and around 87500 kms (ca. 50000 miles). Up till now I have had no trouble at all (even in the cold in previous winters).

Since last Tuesday the car has often had no power on starting, so much so that I can't drive out of my underground garage without two or three tries. After a few hundred metres the power then "kicks in" and everything runs fine. Then, after the car has stood around all day at work, the problem comes again.

Occasionally, it has started fine (indeed, I had arranged to call at my dealers last Friday but that day I had no trouble). Today again it started without any lack of power and I wondered whether it was because I had left the headlights off this time (I usually switch them on when starting the car). I began to suspect that the battery wasn't holding its charge properly. However, after the car stood around all day while I skied (it was -11°C when I left it), the lack of power was evident again even with the headlights off. I had also suspected electrical problems because I have now noticed that the front fog lights (I have never used them) -and one parking light- are not working --- problems never come alone!.

Any further suggestions?
Eric

Post #23742925th Dec 2007 9:52 pm
espri

I had begun to think that the glowplugs were the answer, for I had been able to start three or four times without any problems after leaving them glowing a little longer. However, after work today, the old loss of power was back again, despite extended glowing. It may be that the glowplugs are just showing their age. As it is, I am going to have to live with the problem for a little longer (which I can do), for my dealer is closed down till after the holidays.

Eric

Post #23802528th Dec 2007 9:13 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Get your dealer to check the following TSB's Wink
GTR LTB00047v2 wrote:
Subject/Concern: Rough Engine Idle After Cold Start

Models:
Discovery 3 / LR3 2.7L (TDV6) Diesel
2.7L (TDV6) Diesel VIN-range: 5A300394-6A399900

Range Rover Sport (LS) 2.7L (TDV6) Diesel
2.7L (TDV6) Diesel VIN-range: 5A900505-6A966000

Markets: All

Section: 303-04

Summary:
A customer may report a concern that the engine idle quality is poor for 10 to 25 seconds after starting from cold for the first time during the day. No poor idle or power loss is experienced after the first initial cold start of the day and all other engine starts of the day, whether the engine is warm or hot, do not result in the same poor idle quality.

This Version of the bulletin has been issued to inform Authorized Repairers to destroy or clearly mark LS303-019 to show that it is no longer valid.

Cause: Contamination (debris/dirt or corrosion) in the fuel injectors affects injector spray and delivery rate. Contamination ingress can occur during various operations such as vehicle maintenance or repair and running on contaminated fuel. An injector with damaged internal sealing will also result in unmetered fuel entering the intake manifold.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Diagnostic Procedure detailed in this bulletin to establish the root cause of the issue.

GTR LTB00014 wrote:
Subject/Concern: Discovery 3/Range Rover Sport - Cold Start/Power Reduced/Limp Home Mode

Models:
Discovery 3 / LR3 TD V6 2.7 Diesel Only
TD V6 2.7 Diesel Only VIN-range: 5A300394-7A413982

Range Rover Sport (LS) TD V6 2.7 Diesel Only
TD V6 2.7 Diesel Only VIN-range: 5A900505-7A983117

Markets: All

Section: 303-14

Summary:
The power will be reduced and the vehicle will go into limp home with diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0103 (MAP Sensor Range Performance error) stored, and with 'Engine System Fault' displayed.

NOTE: This concern will only occur when the ambient temperature is at -20 deg C or lower.

Cause: The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor port is restricted with ice.
Action: Should a customer express concern, re-configure the Engine Control Module (ECM) using Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS). Follow the Service Instruction outlined below.

Labour Time:
Operation Description Operation No. Time
Re-configure the ECM 12.90.13 0.2 hours

Post #23818429th Dec 2007 1:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
espri

Many thanks for the tips. The first one sounds a possibility. I haven't seen any error messages at all.

Today, after longish waits while starting, I had no problems, morning nor afternoon; yesterday, same procedure, trouble both times - perverse beast!

Post #23858230th Dec 2007 9:37 pm
espri

My story continues...

Since Monday the loss of power problem on starting went away. Hoorah! That made me think that the problem might be the first TSB mentioned by TFC, i.e. muck in the fuel injectors which had now cleared. Great, I thought, but should I still have it checked?

However, that was only the quiet before the storm Crying or Very sad

Yesterday, as I was driving home, the low range lamp came on. Only relatively briefly.

Today things got worse. After starting without any trouble (outside temp about -11°C, garage around zero), it wasn't long before a red suspension error light showed. I later also saw the 'Suspension fault' warning message. The suspension was out of action and I had a ride like on a kangaroo. The warning lamp for the adjustable/curve lighting also came on and flashed.

I spoke with my dealer and he thought that it would be a problem with the suspension pump. I rather doubt that and suspect something electronic. However, he is ordering a pump and, if it arrives, I should be taking the car to the garage tomorrow.

Wot a way to start a year!

Eric

PS I'm glad, though, that the problem has happened now and not in a couple of months, when I will be out of warranty.

Post #2396673rd Jan 2008 3:00 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Espri

sorry to here about all the troubles you are having. I am just backthis morning after another 1500 miles. No error messages but still got starting problems. Staring in -7 after being parked in those temperatures for a couple of days resulted in clouds of smoke and sounded like an old tractor even after giving the glow plugs two goes............I have also noticed that it has taken to changing down from 6th to 5th at the slighteset incline or acceleration and it won't go above 90 mph as if it now has less power, so could be the dirty injectors TFC mentions......

Calling the dealer again.

funny you mention the suspension. Sometimes when the car is cold I also have a very wierd jiggly ride, I just put it down to the system being cold as no error messages and vehicle levels fine.
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #2396703rd Jan 2008 3:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
espri

My D3 was at the dealer's today to have its various problems diagnosed. The results were as follows:

1) Power loss on starting.
That is put down to a sticking exhaust feedback valve (I don't know if that's the correct term; German: Abgasrückführungsventil - doesn't it sound better that way? Laughing - now I know that the correct term is "Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve" = EGR - thanks to DND3 and TFC, see [url] http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=240414#240414 [/url] for details). No correction yet, though, for the replacement valve is on back order till the end of January - have other people been having the same trouble? Since the problem has currently gone away, I can live with that.

2) Suspension failure.
The initial diagnosis was just that the suspension calibration had "gone off". The mechanic said it could happen driving off-road. Well, I haven't done any off-road trips, so I wasn't convinced.
In the afternoon, he came back and reported that one of the suspension sensors was faulty, which seemed a more likely explanation for the sudden failure. That should be replaced next Monday.

3) Fog lamps failed.
No diagnosis yet.

I have been loaned a Freelander 2 in the meantime, which I am quite enjoying. At least that's giving me an extended test in the FL (mostly motorway driving). Apart from the reduced size, the only negative comments I would make now are that I prefer the D3's higher driving position and at first I thought the FL was noisier than the D3. However, I have grown used to that now (and maybe it only seemed that way because I hadn't switched on the radio at the start).

Eric

Post #2403994th Jan 2008 11:53 pm
espri

Got my D3 back today, with following results:

1) Power loss on starting.
Two EGR valves replaced (I hadn't expected these till later but the story is that they were ordered for another customer; what he's doing now, I do not know; or were mine just polished up? Can I check these anywhere from the outside?).

2) Suspension failure.
Height sensor replaced.

3) Fog lamps failed.
Fuse replaced (I forgot to ask why it had fused).

Strange how the D3 felt funny after driving the Freelander 2. I enjoyed the FL2 but the D3 does seem more solid. The FL2 is rather a lightweight but that can be fun at times.

Eric

Post #2421708th Jan 2008 8:26 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Glow plugs

TR When you say there is a TB refrence early models, what do you class as early models. Russell
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #2422268th Jan 2008 10:04 pm
TR

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Russell mine is 05 plate which was included in TB

Post #2424079th Jan 2008 10:19 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

espri wrote:
3) Fog lamps failed.
Fuse replaced (I forgot to ask why it had fused).

Eric - see http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic14653.html
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #2424099th Jan 2008 10:27 am
espri

Thanks, Martin. I had seen this topic and had wanted to ask whether there was a short-circuit on my D3 too. Didn't ask, though Embarassed

Post #2424469th Jan 2008 12:02 pm
cibja

Spain 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi all

Espri, I have yesterday driven my D3 to the official dealer in my city in the north of Spain due to one Engine Light Warning in the instruments panel (the one that indicates a failure in the Engine Management or Exhaust System)

They have phoned me yesterday to tell me that after speaking with Land Rover Spain technicians they should change my EGR valve/s ( I suppose they are going to change both). The light in the panel appeared two days ago (last Sunday), but I have really not notice any special lack of power. Perhaps the problem was at the beguining and not very important. Until wendsday I do not have the car back, because in the centrar spare parts warehouse for Spain in the near of Madrid they do not have EGR valves, and they must be sent form England.

What is true is that sometimes when starting the first time of the day I have experience lack of power and that the engine goes down of rpm very quickly in first gear. To leave my garage I must go up a stiff way, and sometimes the car takes two tries to do it. I try not to high very much the rpm as the engine is cold, and sometime the cars stops (my car is manula. That will not happen with Autogearbox). That happens me offently if I try to leave my garage backwards than forwards. But I do not know if this subjet is related with EGR problem or simple it is due to the coldness of the engine and there is no beyond problem. I have never seen the Glowplug senson iluminated after the ingnition procedure.

Thanks all for your tips and help.
 Thanks all

cibja 

Post #24896722nd Jan 2008 7:56 am
espri

The problem about not pulling up a slope soon after starting is familiar to me too. I often couldn't get out of my underground garage first time. However, since having the EGR valves replaced I have had no more trouble.

My dealer (in Germany) first said that I would have to wait for the valves too but then, somehow, he took them from "another customer's car". I did wonder whether they had just cleaned up my valves. Or how the other man was getting on without the valves.

Post #24912822nd Jan 2008 4:29 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Got mine back

"Nothing wrong with it", Sir which is the right answer with a week left on the warranty........................ Confused Whistle

we shall see, hasn't been remotely cold here for a couple of weeks.........off to the Alps in a couple of days though
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #24914122nd Jan 2008 5:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >