Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Taking the plunge and can't wait
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Molesworth

Taking the plunge and can't wait

Newbie post so please be gentle...

We've been quoted a long delivery time for our preferred spec on a new HSE, but there are a couple of cars available but without the Vision Assist Pack, which is really the only extra that I think can't be put on independently. I don't think we really need the extra cameras, but is it possible to add the extra lights outside the factory?

Is there anything else we could do?

Very grateful for any help you can offer.

Thanks,
M

Post #10838795th Apr 2013 8:13 pm
motolite

Australia 

hi, can't help with your camera issue, just wanted to say g'day and congrats from another D4 customer who still has 4 months to wait. To be fair, mine is taking a 'cruise' to the colonies first Very Happy

Post #10839445th Apr 2013 10:30 pm
Molesworth

Thanks motolite! Hope it's on it's way.

I suppose what I'm saying is that we can get something "tomorrow" in nearly the spec we want, but should we wait and potentially pay more?

Are the cornering lamps and AHBA already built in to an HSE and just need activating - some posts suggest lots of things like this are - or is it more complicated than that?

Post #10840166th Apr 2013 7:35 am
motolite

Australia 

i'm sure you'll get the answer as soon as the forum wakes up. good luck.

Post #10840286th Apr 2013 8:24 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

This topic should I imagine fire off a number of contradictory comments as reading previous comments on the subject matter it appears to have the Marmite effect (read Vegemite for you south of the Equator) either you love it or hate it! Some say it works very well and others find it has a mind of its own. I can't comment on the HBA as my 2013 Lux is not fitted with it nor is it fitted with the cornering lights. My 08 G4 is fitted with cornering lights which are helpful pulling into poorly lit car parks and dark junctions however. The slightly detrimental effect I do find with the swivelling headlamps is that they by their very nature place the light in the direction of travel. Bizarrely this has a slight issue especially driving down dark single track country lanes which I have to all the time. What the lights do is shine light around the corner that you are approaching. Sounds perfect in every respect I hear you think which I would agree if you we're on a single track road which was a one way street! What it actually does is throw light on the dark section of road on the vanishing point that as a regular driver you would concentrate on to watch for light coming from a vehicle travelling the opposite way. So now you have no warning of a vehicle travelling in the opposite direction! Instead of two or three seconds that reading the previously dark space is being filled with light therefore there's a car around the next corner with the swivelling headlights you now don't get that warning and instead you end up slamming on the brakes to avoid a collision! I await with eager anticipation others opinions. Put it this way... I can get from A to B down a country lane faster and safer in the 2013 car without swivelling lights than I can in the 08 car with them! That should set off a few comments! Sorry if it doesn't help your quandary! As for cameras... Got them on mine and other than reversing never use them! Neutral

Post #10840386th Apr 2013 8:49 am
Oldgit st

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi, welcome, buy the almost your spec car now without a doubt Very Happy

Post #10840506th Apr 2013 9:01 am
HJD

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I have had an SE an HSE and now an XS (with a FFRR in between). They are all slightly different but I don't think you really miss any of the unique options that much. I had swivelling headlights on the HSE, Xenon's but non swivelling on the FFRR and now Halogen's and no swivel on the XS. At the end of the day, all light up the road well enough. I would take the 'nearly spec' now rather than a 4 month wait.

Post #10841396th Apr 2013 4:05 pm
Molesworth

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful indeed. One other thing though - I presume a tow bar is an easy fit, and we'd be after a detachable one, but what should we look at and for how much? The dealer is telling me about double the factory cost!

Post #10842726th Apr 2013 8:27 pm
nig22

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello and welcome, I had a D4 12MY HSE with cameras and HBA, HBA is marmite I hate marmite but the cornering lights are great so you get to see the verge. The bendy lights are ok but not as responsive as a new BMW 5 series, the cameras I used twice so I dont think they are worth the money.
Interested in your tow bar question as I think the cost also includes the activation of the tow assist and riverse assist.

Post #10842876th Apr 2013 8:42 pm
HJD

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Tow Bar is an easy self fit (certainly the detachable one). On my first SE I bought the electrics and swan neck off eBay and fitted the electrics myself (and I'm no engineer). This time around the dealer fitted the electrics and I will buy a tow bar off eBay for about £150.

Post #10844447th Apr 2013 8:23 am
Molesworth

So, we've gone with the stock car, will get electrics dealer fitted and do the rest myself. Should be here by the end of next week and can't wait. Thanks again for all the advice.

Post #108684811th Apr 2013 7:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >