Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Where to take switching current from main beam circuit?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Where to take switching current from main beam circuit?

Going to make a start on wiring up my LF140s this weekend and wonder if someone can point me at a convenient place in the cabin to take the switched feed from the main beam circuit so I can ensure my LF switch only has current when main beam is on? Have the rest of the wiring worked out, just not that bit. Not keen on cutting into the loom if I can avoid it. Have serached all kinds of combinations of +switched +lights etc and now have RSI Confused
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #5775539th Jan 2010 11:42 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

I don't think there is anything in the cabin that gives you this, it has to come from one of the front light connectors and through any available grommet.

Post #5775609th Jan 2010 11:58 am
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

One way or another, you will have to run a wire between the cabin and the engine bay. So why not pickup power from a halogen high beam (solder a wire onto the globe connector) and run that to the relay, then run a wire through to the cabin switch and ground the other side of the switch under the dash, thus providing a switched earth path for the relay. Its electrically safer than running a live wire through the firewall to the relay too.

Post #5775759th Jan 2010 12:21 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Wondered if I could take something off the fuse panel. Main Beam fuse is in there, so thought it might be possible to do something here?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #5776549th Jan 2010 4:12 pm
kernowexpeditionaryforce

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

from memory under the engine bay fuse box theres an unused plug the feeds the relay for adding aux driving lamps, the OE style switch is fitted to the left of the speedo display and a wire is added to a module under the glove box fuse panel,

it then needs enabling to make that output work.....

would be as easy to take a switching feed off the loom to the headlight and back through a gromet as mentioned!

Post #5779599th Jan 2010 11:42 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Take a wire from one of the coil pins on the relay to the headlight main beam wire.
Then take the other pin on the coil realy through the grommit into the car through a switch and from the other side of the switch to GND.

The contactor part of the realy , obviousley a fused feed to one side and the other side to the LF's

By adding the switch into the coil GND side of the realy and the main beam feed wire to the other side of the coil on the relay , not only will the LF's only work with the main beam you can issolate them with the switch if you dont want them on Smile

At the same time you only have 1 wire through the grommet Mr. Green

Pete

Post #57799710th Jan 2010 12:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Humm just re read after posting my fast reply without reading the full thread and before i go to bed and realised GraemeS already said the same lol.

Great minds think alike GraemeS Smile

Pete

Post #57800010th Jan 2010 12:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >