Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Tailgate wont release fully
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

sounds like we may be uncovering a minor glitch... if it works when you press the buttons in a certain order but not another Confused .... now I will have to go play with mine to see if it works. Wink
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #820341st Sep 2006 6:22 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

It is not an emergency escape........no adjustment can be made to the mechanism to do what you want it to. Nor is it a glitch that your dealer can fix....it is working as it was designed.

When a valid request to open the upper tailgate is received, the CJB (central junction box) momentarily energises the actuator. The actuating rod on the actuator then retracts and pulls on the cable to open the latch cam and release the upper tailgate. When power is removed from the actuator, a spring returns the actuating rod to the extended position.
The same signal is transmitted by the upper tailgate release button or by pushing, and holding for three seconds, the central console CLS buttons. Holding the tailgate release of CLS buttons does not maintain power to the actuator, which is what it would need to do if the tailgate was to open freely - without being pulled/pushed whilst the actuator is energised.

What order the CLS buttons are pressed makes no difference, other than to either lock or unlock the vehicle internally.

Post #820421st Sep 2006 7:08 pm
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mmm, I tried it a couple of times and it worked like I described. Maybe it is just a matter of doing statistics on small numbers? Confused
But anyway, sometimes I can open the tailgate after I did the 'emergency' procedure, and sometimes I can't. Seems to me that the behaviour is at least not consistent... Neutral
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #820481st Sep 2006 7:40 pm
Beaker

Ok, I just went outside and tried it a couple of times more. It seems that the relation between the order of button pushes and the unlocking of the tailgate was just a coincidence Embarassed . In fact, being able to open the tailgate by the 'emergency' procedure is a purely random event on my car: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #820511st Sep 2006 8:14 pm
Beaker

Just visited the dealer, they did not even know that this function existed Shocked But they agreed that it is pretty useless in its current behaviour. They had no clue what adjustments could be made to make this work. KrZ, can you be more specific about how your dealer fixed this?
Powered by  

Post #824394th Sep 2006 10:26 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Beaker wrote:
....can you be more specific about how your dealer fixed this?

There isn't anything to fix.....it isn't broken, that is just the way that it functions.

Post #824604th Sep 2006 11:57 am
Beaker

In that case it is a completely useless feature. Even when there is someone outside to pull the tailgate open when the two buttons are pushed, it does not work. The unlock action is so short that thelock does not release fully.
But anyway, I will probably never need it, unless I get stuck in mud/water up to my doors...
Powered by  

Post #825704th Sep 2006 8:03 pm
DickyH

Never the less, it would be nice if it worked properly!

Post #825714th Sep 2006 8:19 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It does work properly ...its all down to how you press the buttons Wink If you press the lock button with your trigger finger and then a split second later the unlock button with your middle finger and hold for three seconds......go to the back of the motor and hey presto the tailgate opens without a hitch.

It works every time for me Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #825774th Sep 2006 8:50 pm
dylansdad

Laughing so as documented huh Wink quirky is one word for it if the emergency release for the doors really is meant to work as you would expect. Although it seems open to interperetation. As Winger seems insistent its not meant to actually be an emergency release... which going on expectations I can believe. Laughing
Post #825824th Sep 2006 9:16 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If the micro switch in the opening mechanism fails... it is the only way to unlatch the door.

Its not an escape hatch like the one R2D2 and C3PO escaped the clutches of Darth Vader yer know.... just a way to open the boot should the flappy soft touch button fail.

Next you'll all be asking for a parachute to open when you press the HDC button Shocked

Post #826134th Sep 2006 10:51 pm
DickyH

Don't you mean when the microswitch fails... Shocked

Post #826224th Sep 2006 11:18 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Of course thats what he means Thud ...everything has to expire at some point ...

.....it's a shame that some things don't do it sooner than others Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #826234th Sep 2006 11:23 pm
dylansdad

simon wrote:
If the micro switch in the opening mechanism fails... it is the only way to unlatch the door.

Next you'll all be asking for a parachute to open when you press the HDC button Shocked

so the microswitch fails..........how exactly is the 'emergency release' any good to me in that situation? given I need to press the button and then instataneously transport myself to the rear to pull the tailgate open...... I think Im more in need of a star trek or asguard transporter to make use of this 'feature'..............UNLESS its actually intended to stay open ?

dont take me wrong... ive still to even try it.... just find it amusing that there is such inconsistency in what it should actually do and that some find it possible it works others dont..... and it depends on how you time your button presses Laughing

as for the parachute.....Id expect that to work although..... naah Id far rather a pair of wings open out of the sunroof so we could take off and fly.... anyway no room for stowing the parachute due to the pigs I keep in the boot. Wink
Post #826385th Sep 2006 12:31 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It works ....so why the big fuss Rolling Eyes ...I don't know ..........life & D3's just can't take account of those that have two hooks for hands Very Happy
Post #826455th Sep 2006 12:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >