Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Tailgate LED Brake Light fell off!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Ray_of_Sunshine

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Tailgate LED Brake Light fell off!

Has anybody else suffered the led brake light on the tailgate coming off?

My Dads came off today when he was driving along suddenly it came loose and was flapping about against the rear window hanging by just the cable then as he pulled into a layby it fell off altogether but luckly landed on the grass verge.

Looking at it, it would seem to be bonded in place, as we cant see how else it can be secured, if anybody knows different please reply?

We have duck taped a piece of polythene over the gap in the tailgate until we can get it to the dealer.

is this a common fault? I presume this will be covered by the warranty.

Ray
 1998 Isuzu Trooper 3.1DTi SWB Commercial *Fir Green (Mica)*

It's my parents not me who have a D4 SDV6 Landmark Mr. Green 

Post #13773011th Mar 2007 12:58 am
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yes, it seems to be bonded in place. The instructions in the GTR for replacing the unit instruct the mechanic to cut through the sealant to remove the unit, ISTR. I can't check at the moment because the GTR seems to be down. Shocked
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #13774811th Mar 2007 8:17 am
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Ok, GTR is back, and the LED brake light is definitely bonded in place:
GTR wrote:

Installation:

:
:
2 . Carefully remove the sealant from the body to leave a smooth surface.

:
:

5 . Apply etch primer to any bare metal.

6 . Apply primer over the etch primer.

7 . Apply activator to the high mounted stoplamp.

8 . Fit a pre-cut nozzle to the sealer cartridge, remove the lid, shake out the crystals and fit the cartridge to the applicator gun.

9 . Apply an 8.0 mm ( 0.30 in ) wide continuous bead of sealant, 15.0 mm ( 0.60 in ) in, from the outer edge of the high mounted stoplamp as shown.

10 . Install the high mounted stoplamp.

:
:

Seems like a job for the dealer...
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #13777011th Mar 2007 10:11 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ray_of_Sunshine, a cheeky question for you...

Now that you have managed to remove this tail-light unit albeit by accident, does it look like a sub-miniture reversing camera could be included inside the assembly and pointed down and back? I'm thinking of those cameras that are approx 10mm cubed in size, usually for inclusion in smoke detectors and house front doors etc.
I'm wondering if the plastic is black except for where the LED brake-light is, or whether it's all just lightly smoked or see-thru red and therefore a possibiity?

Could you have a look for me please?

Thanks! Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #13782811th Mar 2007 7:46 pm
Ray_of_Sunshine

Hi Stapldm, there would definately be room I think, it would have to be on the opposite side of the brake-light from the washer jet and about a similar distance to the brake-kight or even slighly closer to it. But you couldn't go to close to the outside of the unit as the metalwork of the tailgate rises up nearer the ends. The down side is the plastic is most definately black, I would imagine it might be possible to remove part of the inner layer if its a painted finish but it might well be a layer of black plastic its difficult to tell and that would be much more difficult to achieve, either way I would have thought it would be difficult to get a good clear finish like at the brake-light. If you could get a similar camera to mount through an hole like how the washer jet then that would be a better option.

Hope that helps.

Ray

Post #13792912th Mar 2007 1:18 am
stapldm

Thanks Ray, very useful. Thumbs Up
One to add to my long list of "'one day I'll..." projects. Wink
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #13800112th Mar 2007 12:30 pm
Ray_of_Sunshine

No problem Stapldm, if its for parking that would be about the perfect location, if its for hitching a caravan or trailer I would consider mounting a camera behind the removable panel between the trailer plug sockets, or you could open the upper tailgate when hooking a trailer and locate a removable suction mirror to the glass or even mount a camera on the inside of the upper tailgate to ease hitching a trailer when the upper tailgate is open.

Anyway I had another look just now but stil can't decide wether is a thin coating of plastic or a painted finish.

I had a project list like that once, it got so long, I deleted it and started with a clean sheet again.

Ray

Post #13801312th Mar 2007 1:29 pm
stapldm

Ray,

Yes it'd be both for parking and for recording the antics of tailgaters rather than towing. I love the way that the height of the car means that you can't actually see a professional haemorrhoid in action, much less their flashing headlights, but then I'd love to be able to drop a DVD in at the local police station showing some of them practicing dangerous driving techniques, kind of an antidote to muppet induced stress Whistle

From what you're saying, only a 'through' the case type camera would work - the chances of cleaning the paint (if indeed it is) to an optical quality is negligible. There might be some mileage in cutting one of the LEDs off the bar and replacing with a camera, but that too would require testing to see if the clear part was optically perfect enough to be useful, and the camera could then be blinded when braking occurs, possibly missing the best bits of the haemorrhoid panicking and emergency stopping from 70MPH in heavy traffic...

I know what you mean about the list. Mine suffers the same fate as yours and quite often too...but I don't let a busy life stop me from dreaming all this stuff up Laughing I do get to do SOME of it after all Very Happy
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #13808212th Mar 2007 5:53 pm
dlm3

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Tonga GreenLR3

Ray,

Another cheeky question if you don't mind. Does this car have SatNav ? Trick question: if it doesn't, does it have the SatNav antenna in the brake light housing anyway ?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Post #13815612th Mar 2007 9:18 pm
Ray_of_Sunshine

Hi dlm3, sorry it doesn't have satnav, nothing else in the housing, I think the satnav antenna when fitted is the small fin shaped housing on the roof just in front of the tailgate anyway.

Ray

Post #13819612th Mar 2007 10:12 pm
Ken

Ray_of_Sunshine wrote:
Hi dlm3, sorry it doesn't have satnav, nothing else in the housing, I think the satnav antenna when fitted is the small fin shaped housing on the roof just in front of the tailgate anyway.

Ray

Nope thats for the phone (the fin) Sat nav is in the housing

Post #13824813th Mar 2007 4:35 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >