DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Tailgate leak - again.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
David-H.

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Tailgate leak - again.

Hi all.

Back in March last year we noticed a slight leak from the top of the tailgate. Water had obviously been trickling down the rear glass approx. 20 cms in from the near side. Took it to local dealer (Stratstone) who diagnosed the water was getting in at the CHMSL. All was well until November when the leak returned. This time the dealer took the whole rear glass out, refitted and sealed. This time the leak returned in only two months, so the car was back with Stratstone yesterday.
I've just got the car back and despite extensive water testing they can't replicate the leak. They've asked that should water get in again to take the car straight down to them. Obviously not ideal.

Does anyone have any suggestions where the water could be getting in ? Strangely it only seems to happen when the car is parked outside our house, where it sits at a slight nose down attitude. The dealer also tested it in a similar position.

Thanks.
 2014 Defender 90.
Suzuki Jimny - lifted 2".
SWMBO's BMW Mini JCW.

Member of The Scottish Off Road Club. 

Post #24915022nd Jan 2008 5:37 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

There is a recent thread discussing at least three problems. I would try a few searches IIWY

Andy
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #24915222nd Jan 2008 5:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic374.html

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic16536.html?highlight=rear+leak
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #24915522nd Jan 2008 5:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wavey66

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've posted on those threads, the leak in mine was initially diagnosed as a faulty seal between the roof an cover plate ( where the sat nav ariel goes ). The water collected within the plastic courtesy light - not likely to be the cause of your leak, however..... Didn't have the car back long before water started appearing again this time the dealers found the leak and it's the tubing that leads to the rear wash wipe, seem the tube has ruptured and is seeping water which runs along the tube - now this tubing runs along the back of the vehicle and if yours has split then I could see the symptoms you describe.

Post #24923522nd Jan 2008 7:43 pm
David-H.

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks for the tips guys. I had searched before posting but other leaks didn't have quite the same symptoms as mine.

Cheers.
 2014 Defender 90.
Suzuki Jimny - lifted 2".
SWMBO's BMW Mini JCW.

Member of The Scottish Off Road Club. 

Post #24928522nd Jan 2008 9:21 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If it is coming down the rear screen it will be most likely be the high level stop light housing, either not sealed properly or cracked.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #24941922nd Jan 2008 11:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >