DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Tail gate actuator failure - emergency release modification
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BrownsLandy

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Tail gate actuator failure - emergency release modification

Hi all

Before my engine blew up I had the tailgate apart and made this mod to the upper tailgate catch so if the actuator failed I could get in without wrecking the trim as i'd read about how difficult this is. Sorry if you already have a failure this has to be fitted in advance and won't help you after the actuator has failed.

I've not seen it on here so I thought I would share as I had it apart again.

It is very simple but requires taking the trim off and getting access to the upper tailgate catch within the lower tailgate. Once you have the trim off remove the 3 screws and remove the tailgate catch.

You now need to drill a hole in this lever here.

Now take a piece of steel wire rope, a bicycle gear or brake cable is ideal. Pass it through your hole and crimp it back to itself so it is secure. I used a yellow cable crimp.

Refit the catch to the tailgate and then pull your cable out towards the right hand side of the car. Form another loop and crimp this. The loop needs to big enough that the crimp won't foul on the trim as you pull it.

Click image to enlarge

Once you have your loop formed, feed the cable inside the tailgate so it emerges as shown below.

Now refit the trim with the wire loop coming over the top of the carpeted trim and emerging as shown poking out under the top plastic trim. Keep your loop discrete so you don't pull it accidentally. It also still needs to have enough slack on it inside for the catch to operate. If you pull it when not required you may find the friction between the trim will hold the cable and stop your catch from latching. (I've not had a problem). When you have finished refitting take the time to adjust and make sure your tailgate catch lines up properly when you close it.

If your actuator fails you can climb in the boot, pull on the loop and open your top tail gate.

Post #214582313th May 2020 6:23 pm
Hot Tub

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Took an angle grinder to full height dog guard with partition a right pain to access the release solenoid. Cut a hole big enough to get through next step is to do this emergency mod. Thumbs Up

Just lost confidence in it being reliable Big Cry dogs are not great at being in the disco without having them stuck and all get wound up Rolling Eyes

Replaced solenoid again & with emergency release Thumbs Up
 Welsh Collie Chauffeur Service To Barney & Rooney.  
Post #214638815th May 2020 5:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >