Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Symptoms of a sticky handbrake pad
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dave T

England 
Symptoms of a sticky handbrake pad

On the way home tonight I was stuck in traffic so crawling along for a few miles, then on the M77 was going around 50 or so for no more than 2 miles when the whole car started shaking violently just like a shredded tyre. Managed to dodge the traffic and get to the hard shoulder but could see nothing at all and the wheels were not warm at all. Continued towards home and for a mile or so it seemed ok then started all over again. I was right beside my exit at this point so drove slowly home the last mile or so as I thought I may have thrown a balence weight, got out and there was an awful smell of burning. Walking round the car feeling all the wheels, it wasn't untl I actually looked at the drum on one side that I saw the problem, glowing cherry red like a fire, but the wheel itself was barely warm. Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Outside under torch light I stripped it all down and got the disc off, the pad on one side of that wheel had pretty much disintegrated whilst the other was fine, so new set of discs and pads required Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

So what are the symptoms of a sticky handbrake ...... the whole car shakes violently and the drum part of the disc glows very quickly, totally different to a sticky caliper in my experience, with a caliper the wheel heats up very quickly but even after a lot of miles the disc does not glow.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #7695522nd Mar 2011 8:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >