Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Switching sockets to permanent live...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Switching sockets to permanent live...

I've tried a search and either I find too much info (that doesn't quite answer the question) or not enough (so, yes that means I'm not searching properly... Rolling Eyes ).

But I'll ask anyway...

1. I'm assuming all sockets (front, middle and rear) can be turned to permanent power ? Any reason why it would not be a good idea to switch all of them ?

2. If yes, are some easier than others (I'm getting a Traxide kit so I should get the answer for the ones in the boot from the Traxide instructions). But its the front and middle ones I will probably need advice on.

3. Does anyone have a guide / steps as to how to get to the ones in the front and in the middle row - maybe from someone who has done this ? Or is it all easily switched up fron rather than new cables direct to the socket?

4. And any steps on how to actually run the cabling; from where (battery? fuse box? etc) and to where...?

5. Or is there simply an easier way by switching over a cable from the second battery into the correct wires / fuse box etc ? (if that makes sense)

I'm not in an immediate rush to get this done (still need the dual battery set up to arrive), I'm starting to gather the relevant info. So if anyone is able to offer advice, guidance, threads (or even instructions and pictures Whistle Laughing ) etc on the above it would be appreciated.

And if someone has the knowledge but not anything down in writing but is wiling to talk it through on the phone then let me know and we can arrange that as well...

Thanks... Thumbs Up
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #49527914th Jul 2009 8:04 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

1) Why do you want them all on? And are you planning on having them all live from the Aux or the main battery? If from the main battery, I would advise against doing them all as you could easily run the main battery down.
If running from the Aux, then yoiu can run a cable through the same location you are running the main cable to the back (Assuming you got the TPE or FPC kit from Traxide) they will come with all the instructions on which bits of trim to remove.
2) The front one seems to be the easiest to switch, Wiggs has posted 2789 times Whistle about using the unused relay live in the passenger footwell, check out his gallery Wink
3) Front row as above, secons row I'm not sure, but would possibly be similar, again depends on your answers to 1).
4) There's loads of trim to hide these cables under, all will become clear when yoiu get the traxide PDF (45Mb worth!!!)
5) I wouldn't recommend confusing things from the fusebox, what's live from the aux and what's live from the main. Have two seperate cable runs and a small fusebox or certainly in line fuses from the aux to the other sockets/wiring points.

I have a cable hidden in the trim, from the back extra cabling, coming forward to underneath the middle seat, with a triple lighter socket which the DVD's plug into. Cabling then runs under my rubber matt through some curly cable tidy stuff to keep it all together & out of the way of kids feet triping over it.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #49531914th Jul 2009 9:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Reggieb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I've done mine John with no issues, my Engel will run for 2 days and I can charge my phone and run radio equipment without having to put the key in all the time and liven up the whole car.
Three out of the four sockets are live all the time (the one on the right off the centre is still switched)
The mod listed below is easy and reversable ( Nicked from one of Wiggs posts )

Remove this relay from fuse box

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0relay.jpg

Put in a link wire ..like this
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...%20002.jpg
Click image to enlarge

Its the fuse box behind the lower glove box btw but I not know if thats left or right on yours because someone fitted your steering wheel in a strange place... Shocked .. Whistle

You will then have permenant power to all 3 aux sockets ( not ciggy lighter )
 TDV6 HSE - Light Guards - White Reflective Sticker
Club--Engel
Club--Satnav on the move (Thanks Pete)
Club--Kumho KL71 (265/70 17) they kick!
Club--Three Musketeers
Club--GNVP Sump Guard (The nuts)
Disco3Club
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. 

Post #49532414th Jul 2009 9:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Give us a call when you get a flat battery Ian.... Laughing Whistle Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #49539114th Jul 2009 11:35 am
WaznotWas

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

have you re-stocked the fridge yet? It was looking decidedly empty at the Fairmile Rolling with laughter
 FORECAST FOR TONIGHT: things have happened out there!!!
The countryside is still OURS!!
Club 3 Musketeers, Club D3C, Club Midland CB, Club Vertex PMR, Club GNVP Sump Plate, Club GNVP Sliders, Club Uncle Ray Spare Wheel Protector, Club Smooth Steering Wheel, Club McStuckie
07 HSE Z Silver, black leather, Black RRS badges,
19" anthracite wheels - off, 18" Silver / General AT2's - on,
300 TDI Disco 1 - Sheltering the lawn! 

Post #49541114th Jul 2009 12:33 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Well I knew Bodsy would be responding to this one... Laughing

I will have an auxiliary battery.

I just have no idea when it comes to wiring stuff up like this... Rolling Eyes

I'll wait for the Traxide instructions. Hopefully it will become even clearer.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #49554914th Jul 2009 5:30 pm
Reggieb

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

No battery probs as yet Bodsy, I do have a new Bosch silver though.
During that hot week I was using the Engel in my Astra van and forgot to unplug it over the weekend (as a pancake come Monday morning.. Embarassed ) I noticed that it was cutting in a lot more during the hot spell and I think an insulated cover would help a lot.
You will only run the battery down if you leave stuff plugged in, not really a problem but thank for the jump start offer.. Whistle
One thing I've noticed is that my Parrot hands free kit was obviously connected to one of the sockets that is now live perminently, hence it never turns off.. Embarassed Must get that changed to the ciggy lighter so that I can use my phone in the house without it jumping onto the bluetooth kit all the time.. Evil or Very Mad

Warren, I'll stock it up again, promise.. Thumbs Up
 TDV6 HSE - Light Guards - White Reflective Sticker
Club--Engel
Club--Satnav on the move (Thanks Pete)
Club--Kumho KL71 (265/70 17) they kick!
Club--Three Musketeers
Club--GNVP Sump Guard (The nuts)
Disco3Club
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. 

Post #49580414th Jul 2009 10:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >