Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Switching Remaps done by YOU the customer when ever you wish
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Ken

And Welcome Thumbs Up

I agree they are on little high side but there must also be the chance of a reflash I guess that if the cost was reduced there may be a flash cost

But then what do I know

Post #3166572nd Jul 2008 10:36 am
JMC

Scotland 

ChemicalJasper wrote:
What I don't understand is why all these re-maps are so expensive!

Capitalism - supply and demand, what the market will stand etc. Rolling Eyes

ChemicalJasper wrote:
Additionally - whay have LR not set the ECU like this in the first place - what damage is being caused to the engine? - it must be increasing the wear else LR would have done it in the first place wouldn't they

This has been done to death on the forum in the past. LR have a standard worldwide map for the TDV6 which has to account for poor quality fuel in a number of countries. If you are only using the Disco in the UK, then the excellent quality of fuel here allows a more finely tuned map without compromising the engine at all.

ChemicalJasper wrote:
like winding up the fuel and air on my old 200 tdi

A TDV6 ECU tune is a million miles away from the crude 'inverted fuel pump' on the Tdi. Like comparing a Ford Anglia with a Ford Focus Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #3166582nd Jul 2008 10:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

ChemicalJasper wrote:
Crying or Very sad

What I don't understand is why all these re-maps are so expensive!

Yes I appreciate that some development work has been done to work out the remaps, but then is it not just a case of selling the same old set of data time and time again!

There is no way that I can see how all these systems are so expensive Shocked

Rolling Eyes If you sold them for £150 - 200, you would still make a good profit and you may get more people interested who don't wish to shell out more than twice that.!

Additionally - whay have LR not set the ECU like this in the first place - what damage is being caused to the engine? - it must be increasing the wear else LR would have done it in the first place wouldn't they - like winding up the fuel and air on my old 200 tdi - yeah I get stacks more power (and clouds of black smoke) but that is probably why the head gasket blew early!

Whistle

The words of some developement cost are a little under estimated to be honest.

EG the new defender i developed , i spent over 1.5k on diesel to run the car, i spent over 200hrs on a dyno, the many softwares used to edit the files costs 20k.
That is a lot of money to recoupe in remaps.
200hrs x 35per hr = 7k in labour alone then there are the running costs of the dyno etc etc the list goes on.

RE why dont landrover do it, this has been coverd many times in the past.

Post #3166592nd Jul 2008 10:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I bought the base unit for all these variants including 2 remaps for £320 inc post to switzerland, so why double the price ? The device downloads the .BIN file (thats a 2MB ECU program inc your cars own special config [DPF, stereo etc]) zips down to fifty something kb and emailed to supplier. Supplier claims to do some work, however all variants supply one map now and promise the other later !

Somebody may actually work on the BIN file (2hours) with some pretty nifty software and send a MOD file back. But perhaps there's only one tune for all cars Evil or Very Mad .

Still if for £320 I can preserve a real tune and reset fault codes and read logs (which I can) then its probably OK.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #3169142nd Jul 2008 9:10 pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Who did you buy the unit from ??

PS as a forum sponcer i dont mind you telling me the name of the supplier on the open forum , i cant comment for the other sponcers tho.

These units in blank state cost more than half of what you have paid trade so to me that leaves a max of 160 for the map on its own without the box.

Regards Pete

Post #3169342nd Jul 2008 9:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >