suspension losing height overnight....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
captaindarling13

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
suspension losing height overnight....

Hi,

I'm new here, so be gentle Very Happy

I picked up my D3 last friday and every morning since, the rear of the car has dropped down to its stops or thereabouts depending on exactly how long it has been sitting. I have spend a lot of time searching this site and others and eventually found the air supply diagram which clearly shows how the air system works. I initially thought it was only the rear of the car that was dropping and started to suspect a leaking rear valve block, however, tonight I have recorded the height of each corner hourly, and have seen the rear drop by about 55mm and the front about 25mm over 7 hours. With a solenoid valve for each corner that should be closed when de-energised, I am now struggling to see how an air leak can effect all for corners, as this would suggest a fault with both valve blocks? I was convinced, precheck, that I was going to see one rear corner dropping and then being matched by the opposite corner as part of the self levelling process which would pinpoint the rear valve block as the problem part, but now I am simply confused! Is it likely that the air ecu is holding the corner valves slightly open, or am I only seeing a reduction in height at the front as the rear has dropped so much more? Any suggestions greatly appreciated, many thanks, David.

Post #88575719th Jan 2012 1:13 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Mine does this every night...its definitely not a self-levelling issue in my case....I clearly also have a leak somewhere.
I had a new compressor fitted a couple of months back and was prepared to ignore the problem,however,having discussed this the other night at the Scotland meet with other members,I was told it will shorten the life of my compressor so I will be getting it investigated soon....hope I can report back with a fix
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #88577519th Jan 2012 7:56 am
captaindarling13

Quick update on the measurements this morning, the rear has dropped a total of 140mm, and the front 50mm. Looking at the air diagram there would have to multiple problems with corner valves and an air leak for the whole car to lose height?

Post #88578619th Jan 2012 8:43 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

The only way to check it properly is to disconnect the battery overnight, as the car will always try to self level itself.

If the battery is off, the car cant self level, and the corner which drops is where the leak is (unless you have more than 1 leak) Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #88585019th Jan 2012 11:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
sean 471

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Pursuit LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had this problem, when i first purchased my D3. Fixed under warrenty and was a leaking valve.

Post #88587519th Jan 2012 12:09 pm
captaindarling13

Thanks for the replies. I will do the same test tonight with the battery disconnected. Guess it must be an air leak as it dropped exactly 10mm per hour. If I disconnect the battery, will I defo need the code for the radio, as I don't seem to have it anywhere?

Thanks

Post #88608519th Jan 2012 6:39 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

no code needed for the radio
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #88608919th Jan 2012 6:54 pm
captaindarling13

Excellent, thanks

Post #88609219th Jan 2012 7:00 pm
maddogsetc

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I had exactly this problem, was dropping significantly at the rear every night and I suspected an air leak too.

Indy checked things over but thought it was most likely the compressor, their view being that it wasn't generating enough pressure to hold it overnight.

I was skeptical but have always found them to be very good so went with a replacement compressor. That was about six weeks ago.

Not sure whether this proves or disproves their theory but it has kept its height every night since then....................... bar one. Confused

Post #88616919th Jan 2012 10:02 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I have the same, dropping to the bump stops over 5 days or so. At that rate I can live with it til it gets to the stage when it when it is obvious for the dealer. The compressor is coping fine with it.

Post #88617019th Jan 2012 10:05 pm
captaindarling13

With the battery disconnected the car is still losing height on all four corners at a rate of about 10mm an hour. This would seemingly suggest that all four, supposedly closed, corner valves are leaking to atmosphere? If there was a leak further back in the system, from the reservoir, would the corners drop, or should air be retained between the corner valve and the air spring?

Post #88620119th Jan 2012 11:16 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

should be a fault code logged, get it plugged in at LR or Inde, blocked valve could be one option but would lead to the car being undriveable as the car would go in to stupid mode, other is air lines, another is re-calibration of height sensor/one or more fubar height sensor, yet another is failed height sensor on opposing corners which means the car is not able to settle level.

TBH all manner of issues- does the compressor motor run periodically when it raises and then lets out a fart when corrects/minor adjusts its height or is the compressor running at odd times during driving - if latter then its an air leak somewhere in the air lines most likely and in which case its often less costly to change them completely on the one side that has the issues.

But as I say, need to get it plugged in. Thumbs Up

Post #88620619th Jan 2012 11:24 pm
captaindarling13

Character, this may be a dim question, but you ask whether the compressor runs at odd times during driving - how do you actually know when its running? I am sure I have heard the fart noise when it settles.

With the batt disconnected I was hoping to see one corner lower than the others, but all four were down. Think it's time to get it booked in!

Post #88625720th Jan 2012 8:40 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
I had a fault...

with my battery been almost too flat to start the car.....
I thought it may have been the suspension system doing its thing when I wasnt there....which it dose in abundance.....

I disconnected the battery & left the car for a week....(used the others I have)
the suspension only sagged fractionally... only a few mm's & it may have been my measurements.
I had checked for leaks before this using an ultrasonic air leak detector (brilliant bit of kit)...with the car engine runing & vehicle set at normal ride height it was amazing the amount of adjustments the system was making.

The ultrasonic air leak detectors arent cheap.....you may be able to hire one or borrow one (try a company that does pneumatics or air compressors..or maybe gas installations)...but the use of this nailed the sistuation on my car...the local dealers here would have changed everyting in site to get rid of the fault (at my expense...btw)

What was the fault ...a defective battery - changed by a dealer some 14 months before....it wouldnt hold a charge....again the dealers said "it was the alternator"...despite the fact the alternator checked out OK & charged the battery....it was the battery discharging itself that was the problem
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #88628420th Jan 2012 10:08 am
LR-Spy

United Kingdom 
Re: suspension losing height overnight....

captaindarling13 wrote:
Hi,

I'm new here, so be gentle Very Happy

I picked up my D3 last friday and every morning since, the rear of the car has dropped down to its stops or thereabouts depending on exactly how long it has been sitting. I have spend a lot of time searching this site and others and eventually found the air supply diagram which clearly shows how the air system works. I initially thought it was only the rear of the car that was dropping and started to suspect a leaking rear valve block, however, tonight I have recorded the height of each corner hourly, and have seen the rear drop by about 55mm and the front about 25mm over 7 hours. With a solenoid valve for each corner that should be closed when de-energised, I am now struggling to see how an air leak can effect all for corners, as this would suggest a fault with both valve blocks? I was convinced, precheck, that I was going to see one rear corner dropping and then being matched by the opposite corner as part of the self levelling process which would pinpoint the rear valve block as the problem part, but now I am simply confused! Is it likely that the air ecu is holding the corner valves slightly open, or am I only seeing a reduction in height at the front as the rear has dropped so much more? Any suggestions greatly appreciated, many thanks, David.

Where did you get your D3 from ?

If it was from a dealer, they have to warranty the car for the first 3 months by law as part of the Sale of Goods Act ( or some thing like that).

Post #88629020th Jan 2012 10:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >