Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension fault - have I done something wrong??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
mark george

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Suspension fault - have I done something wrong??

Sorry to post another suspension fault string, but it feels like I've read every existing string on every forum and still don't seem to find anyone with exactly the same issue as me.. Here goes!
I have has the orange suspension light fault (normal height only) for years, compressor runs until it faults etc. I can adjust the height when I restart the car so i's never really been a problem. I get the occasional red light (30mph max), but this resets and I carry on as normal. Now a few weeks ago the car gave me a red light and suspension dropped to the bump stops, it had never done this before. I stopped to reset the compressor, pumped up suspension and it seemed ok. Got home ok but next morning front end was on the bump stops, started up, and pumped up ok. Same happened next few nights so I did the 5a fuse check, pumped to normal height, pulled the fuse, left overnight (well in reality only about an hour) and both fronts were on the bump stops.
I bought a front valve block seal kit and at the same time a compressor rebuild kit. Compressor seemed OK so only rebuilt the drier and replaces the exhaust valve seal - Drier had the typical crack between the air fittings so I thought 'hey presto'... Thumbs Up Refitted pump started the car pump fired up ok ran for a couple of mins and stopped.. orange light fault still remained. I lowered the car off the jacks and front end went down to the bump stops while rear was still in off road. Moved onto the front valve block, replaced all the seals (looked as clean as a whistle inside) restarted but no difference - except now the front will not raise and the back would not lower. I've done two hard resets, once where i Jacked the front up to level the vehicle first, but things are worse than when I started. If I start the engine the 4x4 screen shows normal height, but the wheel sensors show front end low & back end high, as soon as i touch the height adjustment switch suspension faults, if I open the drivers door and then adjust the height the screen says lowering or raising (no fault) and 'close door to change height'. As soon as i close the door suspension faults. Trying loads of different combinations the rear did drop to normal, not sure how i did it though! I'm not sure if these issues are as a result of jacking, duff compressor or if I've done something wrong Embarassed , its as though the car is confused as to where the suspension actually is.. Thought I'd check with you guys here before i go buy a new compressor.. Bow down

Post #20802352nd Sep 2019 12:13 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Before changing compressor, have you got a reader to read the pressure values in the system as it may just be a broken connector on the height sensors, so would check them first.

Post #20807604th Sep 2019 11:47 am
mark george

Unfortunately I don't have a reader Globetrotter Embarassed , would a broken connector not show up as a fault on the 4x4 screen? I'll take a look round them all and inspect for any damage etc. Currently all height sensors are showing exactly where all the wheels actually are with no red lines against them i.e. fronts flat on bump stops and rear now at normal. I cant seem to get the compressor to run long enough to charge the tank, and as soon as i touch the height adjustment (either up or down) the system immediately faults, unless the door is open, then it appears to behave as it should (i.e. it says raising or lowering) until the door shuts and again it immediately faults. I'll post a pic of the screen when i get home tonight.

Post #20808024th Sep 2019 12:56 pm
mark george

OK, so i'm no further on with this. Not bought a new compressor yet as advised by Globetrotter, i agree there's a it more detective work to do yet. I've taken a few pics of what the 4x4 screen is showing cus its confusing the hell out of me! To recap, if i start the engine but leave a door open so the suspension wont adjust, i can cycle the suspension - according to the screen?? it goes through access mode, raising, std mode, raising and off road mode but the car never moves.. is this right? I've never noticed the screen change like this with the door open. Funny but i can never get it to say 'lowering' even when the icon shows 'access mode' it still says raising? it does in 'access' show red lines over the wheels, so is this faulty sensors or just an out of range message?? There's some pretty darn savvy folk out there, Pleeeeease help.. someone must have seen this before.

Post #20813126th Sep 2019 7:46 am
mark george

Post #20813146th Sep 2019 7:48 am
Sea Raider

I might be missing something here but

Rather than guddling about in the dark and toying with replacing this or that would you not be better off having the codes read, would at least give you a step for a hint.
A code reader would also allow you to recalibrate the suspension.

Post #20813176th Sep 2019 8:04 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Mark, start another thread and ask for assistance from anybody close to Ludlow who has an IID tool.
These cars have an inbuilt diagnostic system and you need to know what it's recording but only the correct tool will access it.

To attempt any sort of repair without reading the codes is just guesswork and you might end up replacing expensive parts that are not causing an issue.
Forum member Beanie is in Shropshire and will help if you message him. Thumbs Up
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #20813196th Sep 2019 8:10 am
mark george

Don't own a reader Sea Raider, and before i invest i'm just trying to fathom out if its something stupid i've done Embarassed . It started with what looked like a simple leak in the front valve block, (i could start the engine and raise the suspension to std height ok, all i did was replace all the seals and at the same time rebuild the compressor drier, now things are crazy!

Post #20813206th Sep 2019 8:11 am
mark george

That's good advise Narpy, I'll do just that Thumbs Up [/quote]

Post #20813226th Sep 2019 8:14 am
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

I agree.. get the code reading done.. it will pinpoint the area that you need to look at. You could end up spending time and ££ on things that do not need replaced...

There are some Simple checks that you can do beforehand if you want to... Basically... EPA
Electrical: Physical: Air

1. Look at the Wiring - common breaks are around the bulkhead and the sensor connections. Check the switches in the centre consul.. I have a video on how to strip and check .. sometimes folk spill Coke down in this area.. the board corrodes.. and suspension faults appear!

2. Look for a physically broken sensor, or mounting of the valve blocks, compressor etc.. IE anything that can rattle loose!

3. check all air connections, pipes and suspension bags for air leaks.. and the tank (common place to go is the front on the top side). You might even hear it.. or use a soapy spray to look for tell tale bubbles...

Don't worry about how it happened.. you are where you are..

But all you are going to get, from everyone on here with any experience. is the advise to do is get the codes read.. we have all been there..

Good Luck
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #20813476th Sep 2019 10:23 am
mark george

Thanks G_Cam, i'll do the checks you suggest, not done this up to now as I just thought 'it was fine before i fixed the valve block and drier', but you are spot on, that doesn't matter - i need to start from scratch.. I'll have a look on line for bargain or second hand IId tool too... Big Cry

Post #20813786th Sep 2019 12:06 pm
Sea Raider

Theres 1 for sale on here at the moment

Post #20813896th Sep 2019 12:55 pm
mark george

Right, bit the bullet and bought an IID Tool Big Cry ... compressor runs for about 10 seconds then cuts out, getting code C1131-92 air supply. pulled off the pipe from the drier and getting air from the drier during the 10 second run. when i re attached the pipe and reset the fault got code C1A20-64 for a bit... now back to C1131-92... Live readings show gallery pressure getting up to just 350 before cut out then steadily drops, would it drop because the car is on the bump stops so needs air?

any ideas? i'm still assuming new compressor?

Post #208363813th Sep 2019 6:09 pm
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If it's a plastic end cap, check for hairline crack between the two pipe connections

Post #208373414th Sep 2019 12:41 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As a reference , these are the pressures u should be getting

Post #208373914th Sep 2019 4:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >