Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Mechanical] Suspension Compressor Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 17 of 20 <123 ... 1617 181920>
Ollram

Greece 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Thnx for replying.

After drive of approx 35km, battery when D3 is parked is at 12.5V, while driving is 14.1V

Ive cleared all faults a couple of times. What i have notice is that
C1A20-64 appears (as soon as i drive 100m) simultaneously with
U0132-87 (Lost Communication with ride level control module)

rest of faults (B1D21-13, B1B74 etc) do not seem to appear at the same time....or at least

your expertise PLs 8) 8)

Post #13859429th Dec 2014 4:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sublimemanx

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3
EAS Complete Failure

Hi all. Just joined and hoped that someone could help.
I have a complete failure of my EAS and all four struts are on the end stops. I have a red caption on the dash for suspension failure and notification that I cannot drive above 30 mph

I have recently had my EAS compressor replaced with a Dunlop model and all 4 Height Sensors by a local garage. I have been told that there is no reason to reprogram the Air suspension Control Unit by the company that I bought it from. However my suspension still does not work with all fitted

I took the car to the local LR dealership and the following fault codes have been returned. They were unable to reprogram the Control Unit.

C1A00-54 - Control Module (Air Suspension Control Module, Missing Calibration)
C1A72-1C - Front Left Height Sensor Mechanism (Signal Voltage Out of Range)
C1A73-1C - Front Right Height Sensor Mechanism (Signal Voltage Out of Range)
C1A74-1C - Rear Left Height Sensor Mechanism (Signal Voltage Out of Range)
C1A75-1C - Rear Right Height Sensor Mechanism (Signal Voltage Out of Range)

Checked all fuses all ok.

I have looked at wiring diagrams and the front sensors are supplied 5 Volts and return their signal via Connector C2321 while the rear ones are supplied 5 Volts with signal returns on Connector C0867 on the Suspension Control Unit (under driver side dash). Can I assume that the fault might be with the Air Suspension Module (Control Module) as the failing signal are return via different wiring looms?

Its quite unusual for all 4 sensors to report the same fault I would have thought. They were all brand new fitted and LR Parts.

I would appreciate any assistance that you might be able to offer.

****Did a visual inspection of my Height Sensors - The garage installed the wrong sensors to the wrong suspension arms - ALL FOUR!! That explains my issues.******

Last edited by Sublimemanx on 22nd Jul 2015 9:56 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #150467421st Jul 2015 12:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nivekau

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

nighthawk wrote:
The compressor also has a very low duty cycle, meaning that while it's very powerful, it can't run continuously.

nighthawk, you say the compressor is very powerful - does that mean I shouldn't be able to stop air coming out of the blue output port with my finger?

I have rebuilt my compressor using a kit from X8R, including replacing dessicant and filters, but I am still getting the infamous C1A20 fault - Pressure increasing too slowly.

I was initially getting a C1131 fault - air supply, and found that the drier unit cap was leaking. I have cured that with some gasket silicone. While that improved output air pressure I can still stop the air coming out with my finger, and the suction on the intake isn't great.

Is there a known spec for output pressure?

PS. My suspension failure (C1A20) is occurring consistently 15 seconds after the engine is started, whether stationary or driving.

Post #150501022nd Jul 2015 12:49 am
Gareth C

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Hi everybody!
I have read threads and threads on the suspension faults but i wondered if anybody could help with mine!!

I am getting fault readings telling that my compressor is taking to long to fill reservoir - I reset all faults the compressor starts the suspension does naff all then say 30 seconds later bing warning comes up and tells me suspension fault.
I order a repair kit and fitted that and exactly same fault, have took unit back off and connected to battery and it is pumping air, does not seem to be great amount so wondered if there is a benchmark psi i can check to see if it is pumping enough?

Also would this problem throw a gearbox fault up as when i do a reset and go through the role of starting the engine the suspension fault comes up in a few seconds then if i try and put it in gear i get gearbox fault, which when checked on my reader it is telling me wrong gear ratio

So at present my Ds3 does not move as suspension on the deck and when try to move it it is like the engine is revving and going nowhere!!!

Please give me some ideas please ..... is there a plug in unit to bypass the suspension so i could maybe fit some manual fill valves but kid the ECU that everything good ? Any ideas and help appreciated!

Post #15100691st Aug 2015 6:34 pm
nivekau

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Gareth,

Firstly, re the compressor and testing output, see my post here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post1510203.html#1510203

When you say you fitted the repair kit, are you talking about the drier re-furb or did you also replace the piston seals and delivery valve?

Re your transmission problem, in my experience that is not associated with the air suspension problem. It can apparently be caused by all sorts of things, here's on of many threads about it http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic44647.h...stmas+tree

I had the same fault intermittently shortly after I bought my car (secondhand) and the local stealership fitted an extra earth strap to the engine , which they said was a factory recommendation for cars having intermittent fault codes. It was surprisingly expensive, but I haven't had the transmission fault since.

Post #15102042nd Aug 2015 4:14 am
Gareth C

Thank you for your answer.

Yes changed whole kit including piston seal etc, am a little torn as so many posts say about special features getting turned off and gearbox faults coming up, its all a minefield!!!!

Just wished i could find a plug in module to disable the suspension ECU so would kid vehicle to stop throwing faults and causing other faults, then i would convert pump from anything else and put on manual switch in cab to adjust each bag to the height i want.

Post #15103582nd Aug 2015 2:45 pm
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

It has dawned on me this afternoon that I have made a schoolboy error while refurbing a Hitachi compressor (I bought one from another forum member and replaced everything last weekend, but have not yet had a chance to swap for my dead one).

I have a strong suspicion that rather than placing the o-ring seal around the three part outer filter in the dryer, I may have simply chucked it. Sad

I don't suppose that anyone knows the dimensions (inner and outer diameter and cross-section thickness) so that I can obtain a replacement?

Post #151445511th Aug 2015 2:20 pm
webego

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Hi all,

Suffering ongoing issues with my EAS. Started out with an intermittent yellow light and 'normal height only: special programs disabled' type message. This became more frequent and eventually happened after every start. I purchased the compressor and dryer repair kit and all went well (although took ages trying to get to that bracket top bolt!). Once refitted the suspension worked great but I still got the fault. Overnight the height auto-levelled as usual and as I am parked on a slope the front is pretty much at access level and the rear are normal height. However this morning I started up, got the error after a few seconds and the height is not changing at all. I can't even hear the compressor doing anything. I have checked all the usual suspect fuses (F3 - 5amp, FL10 - 60amp) and a bunch of others too but all appear fine. I have dropped the soundproof box off again and confirmed all pipes/plubs connected. The only thing I haven't done (I think) is swap out the relay (I have one on the way).

Couple of questions:

Any thoughts on what I can try next?

Seriously thinking about just buying a new compressor/dryer. If I do go that route, are the Dunlop ones any good?

Could my current situation, or also after I replace with new if I go that route, require connection to a computer to 'reset'? Not sure if this would cause the compressor to not be working at all.

Thanks for any advice.

Oh and also wanted to know if the thermal sensor was damaged would I be getting a different error?

Post #151638216th Aug 2015 2:25 pm
Gareth C

I might have an AMK brand new unit for sale as thinking of changing to springs, just fitted it to test - cost me £424 with the cowling, relay and everything so would take £350.00 genuine from Land Rover with 2 year warranty.

Post #151644616th Aug 2015 5:44 pm
Discologist

Discologist wrote:
It has dawned on me this afternoon that I have made a schoolboy error while refurbing a Hitachi compressor (I bought one from another forum member and replaced everything last weekend, but have not yet had a chance to swap for my dead one).

I have a strong suspicion that rather than placing the o-ring seal around the three part outer filter in the dryer, I may have simply chucked it. Sad

I don't suppose that anyone knows the dimensions (inner and outer diameter and cross-section thickness) so that I can obtain a replacement?

Is anyone able to help with dimensions for this? If not I'll swap out the one from my old compressor when I change it this weekend, and measure it to try and get a replacement.

Post #151699118th Aug 2015 6:56 am
webego

Gareth: Thanks for the offer but I have now already bought and fitted the AMK kit now after reading up through the rest of the forum. Sure someone else will take it off your hands at that price though!

Discologist: My kit came with a thick and a thin O ring. I used the thick one so still have the thin one handy. Actually I technically have the thick one too now as have replaced the whole compressor. DM me your address and I'll drop it in the post for you.

Post #151740618th Aug 2015 11:08 pm
Discologist

That's very kind of you. PM on it's way.

Post #151743419th Aug 2015 6:50 am
webego

Discologist: In the post first class this morning.I sent the new and old thin o rings. If you end up needing the thick one I can open the dryer of the old compressor and send that too (sorry didn't have time this morning).

Post #151744919th Aug 2015 8:20 am
Discologist

Thanks again. Hopefully I won't need the thick one.

Post #151745819th Aug 2015 9:00 am
Discologist

Thanks Webego, they arrived in the post today. Looks like that's my Saturday task sorted out.

Post #151813320th Aug 2015 10:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 17 of 20 <123 ... 1617 181920>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >