Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspension and brake issues - Only owned my D3 for a day!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

well a height sensor or wiring fix may sort the suspension probs then Thumbs Up

Post #220411221st Jan 2021 3:57 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

MrsMarsh wrote:
Had the codes read, cleared them and read again and among the many, there is a code coming up on the front right height sensor.
Oh and the alternator isn't new either, the battery is but not not alternator. Also with the brakes, the gurgling running water sound when they're on is loud enough for me to have recorded on my phone!
I'm fine with the oil filter with the belts, I factored those in, just not all this...

i'll keep saying.. if you buy a D3... and you have a fixed budget? budget = 10K, buy a D3 for 5K
de 5K not spend on the motor directly when buying will be partially needed quite often, and quite regurally all in once on a alternative engine, when a crank goes... or another body off job is needed

well that is me.... and... it was needed when is bought one... after just 80 km... in need for a new engine...

it does not need to go that way, but thinking that way is always good for my mind... no sleeples nights here regarding cars...

well repairing the brakes should not cost the end of the world and a hight sensor is also not the end of the world.. Thumbs Up
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #220411921st Jan 2021 4:34 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Get it back to the Trader and agree with them what they need to do yo put the vehicle right.
The law is all on your side there is very little a Trader can do to squirm out but they still try.
They have to give you a 3 month warranty from the day of purchase there is no monitory limit but if costs are excessive they may offer to buy the car back at the original price.

Post #220412121st Jan 2021 4:43 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

You must get the trader to fix all these issues at no expense to you.

Presumably you are a member of AA, RAC or similar; they will advise you on the actions you can take including rejection.

Quote:
The Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives you 30 days to reject a product if it is not of satisfactory quality/not fit for purpose/not as described. This is completely independent to the Land Rover Approved Used 30 day exchange process (where they will try to flog you another, more expensive, car).

Lots of information here:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/re...rights-act

Also, if the vehicle is on finance, the finance company should be able to reject on your behalf - threaten financial ombudsman if you run into trouble and be prepared to go through with it).

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #220412421st Jan 2021 4:48 pm
MrsMarsh

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I feel very stupid.
It has his dealership address on the used car sale receipt, but it has private sale written in brackets, and the money went into his own account. I think I misunderstood him in my desire to get going on our home. Anyway, I have the codes, a wealth of info on here and I'll try to beat LR into submission.
I knew she would have problems, just not this quickly Rolling Eyes still, she's part of the family now, and it's a new car for us to learn about and my husband to fix Laughing

Post #220413221st Jan 2021 5:41 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

You need professional advice but with a dealership address on the used car sale receipt the words "private sale" on the receipt may not help the dealer.

Bear in mind that a dealer pretending to be a private seller is committing a criminal offence.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #220413521st Jan 2021 5:50 pm
Lee Trinder

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Mrs Marsh, I love your glass half full approach to your new car, you obviously really like it already.
Sometimes little things can look like big issues on these cars, but I hope it’s not too expensive for you.
There is so much information on this forum, all you have to do is ask a question and people in the know will advise. Keep us posted on your progress.
Regards Lee

Post #220414221st Jan 2021 6:15 pm
Sea Raider

MrsMarsh wrote:

I'm fine with the oil filter with the belts,

Its not the oil filter, its the oil pump that must be changed when doing the timing belt, if the vehicle still has the original oil pump fitted these have a habit of wetting the bed (vehicle is scrap value should this happen) when the belts are changed, you need to have the uprated pump fitted at the same time

Old pump tensioner mounting

New pump with extra webbing

Post #220415521st Jan 2021 6:42 pm
MrsMarsh

Sorry Sea Raider. I meant pump! Razz

Post #220421621st Jan 2021 9:50 pm
MrsMarsh

NJSS wrote:
You need professional advice but with a dealership address on the used car sale receipt the words "private sale" on the receipt may not help the dealer.

Bear in mind that a dealer pretending to be a private seller is committing a criminal offence.

NJSS

He said he wasn't trading from his business address due to Covid.
I spoke to him and he's not prepared to help me.
I'll get some advice tomorrow.

Post #220421821st Jan 2021 9:54 pm
MrsMarsh

Oh and the horn is tooting every time I lock it now, so I'm assuming it's the bonnet latch.

I'm laughing or I'll cry!!

Post #220422021st Jan 2021 9:56 pm
MrsMarsh

aja4x4 wrote:
Get it back to the Trader and agree with them what they need to do yo put the vehicle right.
The law is all on your side there is very little a Trader can do to squirm out but they still try.
They have to give you a 3 month warranty from the day of purchase there is no monitory limit but if costs are excessive they may offer to buy the car back at the original price.

He said he won't help, I said OK I'll reject it them within the 30 days under consumer rights act. He said I can't as it was a private sale!
But he has written his dealership name and address on the invoice, just written private sale on it.
He doesn't give a warranty on anything over 100k miles...

Post #220422121st Jan 2021 9:59 pm
Sea Raider

MrsMarsh wrote:
Sorry Sea Raider. I meant pump! Razz

Thumbs Up

PS - Name and shame the 'Dealer' seeing as hes not prepared to help

Post #220422221st Jan 2021 10:00 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Two questions - how was it advertised and how did you pay?
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #220422421st Jan 2021 10:02 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

MrsMarsh wrote:

He said he won't help, I said OK I'll reject it them within the 30 days under consumer rights act. He said I can't as it was a private sale!
But he has written his dealership name and address on the invoice, just written private sale on it.
He doesn't give a warranty on anything over 100k miles...

So he knew that it was no good..

Rather blunt..... as i can not imagine that UK laws are that different than dutch... i doubt that he can state such a blunt thing... “private” does not mean, you have no rights... even private persons have to sell within “reason”... so it depends on the age of the motor and the price you paid....

And what you signed for...

So lets say, a LR dealers asks for a certain motor with 180k mls. 7 K
An indie trader asks for the same 6k

But you paid... 4k, well the law is not on your side, as you could have known..... BUT if you paid the 6K that is a common market value, and you may expect a common market quality for such a price... it is not more than 15 years old eather i presume.... the law says normally that you have some rights.....

Given that he is a company, presents himself likewise, writes a invoice, with company details.... just with a word “private” on it, is thin ice for him... legally....

Now, do you want all the hassle.... or love it allready as said... ... try to let him refund, lets say 1000 quid, because that is more proper for such a motor, with defects...and repair it yourself..
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #220425522nd Jan 2021 12:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >