Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Suspected suspension issue/longitudinal acceleration sensor
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 12 of 12 <123 ... 101112
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

TyphoonDisco wrote:

I've just been out to it and pulled the cluster out again.

O-Oh, he's off again Laughing

Why do you think you need to refurb the ins cluster? Was it not working ok?

If there was a IC fault there would be a dtc to support that but you have no meaningful history here!

I smell another red herring Whistle

Just as an aside did you have a look at the parking brake switch?

The more I look at your dtc history the more it looks like a wiring fault. (with either the transfer case (TCM) wiring, or the parking brake.)

I seem to recall there being a "service test" feature for the IC but can't recall where in the diagnostics it lives. You can have a look in "live values" which will provide some indication of operation. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #221731913th Mar 2021 11:24 pm
TyphoonDisco

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I don't doubt it's another red herring. Laughing

The problem I've got is that the error only throws a load of U0122 codes so I have absolutely no idea where to look.

The only reason I'm looking at the Instrument Cluster is because the previous fault codes had the IC fail approx 30 seconds before the rest of the CANBUS let go.

Also the mileage disparity is weird. I will check tomorrow if it's a km vs mi conversion disparity.

Like I said in previous post...tearing my hair out with this one!

Post #221732713th Mar 2021 11:37 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Sorry didn’t see it earlier, gutted the alternator didn’t cure the issue , noticed the mobile phone has gone

Plus 1 what’s been mentioned , Out of curiosity have u pulled out the centre temperature control panel plse , also checked the engines oil/ water temperature sensors from when the engine is cold and then when warmed up

Of course clutching at straws ref if there’s any bad connections in the back of the temperature control panel and suppose might as well check the centre Satnav screen at the same time

Know there’s a hidden menu on the satnav screen

Please don’t think I’m being rude are u ok looking at wiring diagrams and tracing them etc , as we can always help if u get stuck , as indeed can do continuity tests on the looms from one connector to another , might need some long leads, lol

Also wonder if u could select each module one by one and select as many things as u can using the iid to then have a record before and after the error codes to see if anything pops up or drastically changes

Fingers crossed can pin it down

Post #221743214th Mar 2021 1:05 pm
gstuart

Copied the wiring diagram for that relay over for u, so at least then u can see where the wires go, including the earths

Hope that helps

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #221743614th Mar 2021 1:34 pm
gstuart

PROFSR G wrote:
TyphoonDisco wrote:

I've just been out to it and pulled the cluster out again.

O-Oh, he's off again Laughing

Why do you think you need to refurb the ins cluster? Was it not working ok?

If there was a IC fault there would be a dtc to support that but you have no meaningful history here!

I smell another red herring Whistle

Just as an aside did you have a look at the parking brake switch?

The more I look at your dtc history the more it looks like a wiring fault. (with either the transfer case (TCM) wiring, or the parking brake.)

I seem to recall there being a "service test" feature for the IC but can't recall where in the diagnostics it lives. You can have a look in "live values" which will provide some indication of operation. Thumbs Up

Hi mate

Hope ur well my friend

That’s interesting ref the iid, wonder if any of the settings shown in the pic would help

Think the OP fitted a new brake pedal switch

Know what u mean about wiring , remember when I was trying to hunt down errors with mine it took ages, in the end got one of those meters where u could tell if u had an open or short within a wire alomg with being able to trace a wire within a loom/ location

Stay safe

Click image to enlarge

Post #221743814th Mar 2021 1:53 pm
gstuart

Would u also mind in checking fuse 28 / 5 amps , in the passenger side fuse box please, or fit a new one and see if the relay still clicks

Many thks

Ps, am also just looking for connector SJ574 as it goes between the relay and fuse box, I’m wondering if it’s behind the passenger side footwell panel , there’s also as reference another bunch of connectors behind the drivers side footwell

Post #221744414th Mar 2021 2:32 pm
TyphoonDisco

Hi Gary,

I believe the relay clicking is the system functioning correctly. My earlier post shows that depending on temperature the system will run for 50% or 33% of the time. I think the clicking and power on/off cycle at relay 4 is the system cycling on and off as advertised.

I've had the car in a garage and they are minded to think the ABS module might be the culprit. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and fork out for a new one.

My questions to the experts are:

- Can the ABS module be swapped out easily at home?
- Bearing in mind I only have a GAP IID BT, is this sufficient to carry out the brake bleed and also the module programming?
- Does the brake bleed mean exactly that? All fluid out?

Thanks v much as always.

Post #221997724th Mar 2021 3:27 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes you need to drain all of the brake fluid out or it will damage your paint when you remove the abs module
The brake bleeding program is not that great I still prefer to do it the old fashioned way
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #222000024th Mar 2021 4:42 pm
TyphoonDisco

Thanks for the quick reply. Might be leaving that one to the pros! Thumbs Up

Post #222005424th Mar 2021 9:00 pm
TyphoonDisco

Case closed?

Okey doke. We might have a resolution.

As mentioned previously my local indy told me the ABS module was at fault. I was quoted £2400 for a Land Rover part fitted. They told me they would fit a Bosch one if I sourced it and they came in at £780. Just before buying I thought I'd do a quick check on eBay and lo and behold there was a brand new Bosch ABS module that someone was selling for £60! They had ordered it from Bearmach and it had taken some light damage in the mail. It was only a couple of bent metal corners but the structure wasn't affected.

I was lined up to take it into my indy for them to fit because I didn't want to tackle the drain and bleed of the brake system.

However...I found out online that the ABS module can actually be split and the electronic module can be taken off. So I thought I would try and swap the electronic modules to see if that would cure my fault. This was the easiest job ever with only 4 small torx bolts required to remove the black plastic module.

I swapped the new one in, turned the ignition on and got an ABS fault. A quick recycle of the ignition was all it took to clear the fault. I then cleared all historic faults using the GAP IID BT and fired up the car.

No faults!!

I took the car for a quick spin and when I selected reverse at the end of the journey I got a new beeping noise which was a parking aid failure stating that the front sensors were the issue. A quick read of the faults showed up the front outer right sensor had failed.

I removed the bumper and disconnected the sensor and when trying to remove it the sensor split into 2 to reveal some spongy rubber.

I have subsequently driven approx 200 miles with no further faults and no tripping of the CANBUS!!

So, I think the ABS module was definitely at fault. What I thought was going to cost £2400 was eventually sorted for £60 and 10 minutes of work.

I'm not sure if the dodgy parking sensor could have been causing the issue initially or whether it was a pure coincidence that it showed once I swapped in the new ABS module.

Anyway, all is well...until the next BING BONG! Laughing

I would like to say thanks to everyone for their help which allowed me to learn a ton more about the car. This forum really is the best.

Special shout out to Gary for his advice and patience with all of my questions. You'll be pleased to hear I found some more earths whilst the bumper was off and these are all now clean!

Post #22217981st Apr 2021 10:00 pm
TyphoonDisco

I should have added, I've ordered a new front right outer parking aid sensor.

Once that is fitted the car will be completely fault free!

I can't get used to the instrument cluster having no warning lights. I am permanently on edge when driving expecting the BING BONG to reappear. Hopefully it won't!

Post #22218001st Apr 2021 10:03 pm
gstuart

Hiya

Am over the moon u have it resolved , that’s very intriguing ref the ABS module , funny enough I just looked through some of my manual and low and behold there’s a lot that goes through that

Many thks and most appreciated , always a team effort in helping one another

Awesome u found some other earth points , at least then u know there all ok

Am also really pleased u done it for £60 , what a massive result

Thanks again for letting us know what the outcome was

Some pics of what I found ref the abs module

Plse let us know how it goes with the front sensor

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #22218232nd Apr 2021 3:31 am
gstuart

Also just thought , if u have time would u mind opening the old module up to see if there’s anything evident plse

Just curious if maybe there’s signs on the board , hope u didn’t mind me asking

Many thks

Post #22218242nd Apr 2021 3:53 am
TyphoonDisco

It looks like nearly everything on the car goes through the ABS module!

What is mad is that the old one that came off appeared to have no visible issues at all. There were no signs of corrosion etc and the seal was still 100% intact so I don't think there could have been water ingress.

I will take a pic of it tomorrow when I'm home to show you what the internals look like. There's lots of cylindrical items which slide over what I think will be the pistons in the mechanical side of the ABS module. These all appear intact too.

I can't get to the back of the circuit board in the module so there might well be damage there.

I might actually try reconnecting the old module at some point to see if the fault comes back. That way I can completely discount the front right parking sensor as a culprit.

At the moment I'm just enjoying driving the car fault free!! Smile

Post #22219362nd Apr 2021 4:17 pm
gstuart

Many thks and that would be awesome plse

Am over the moon for u , ur right and must admit didn’t realise so much goes through it

Know on the OBD2 diagnostics that pin 9 is for the ABS system, plus has one of the ohms resisters inside it , so when doing the ohms test urs came back correct at 60 ohms on both high and medium canbus

Would of course be awesome to see what other tests could be done on them to establish different readings between ur new and old modules

Put some pics just in case it’s of some use to u

At least at the end of the day it’s sorted and indeed that’s the main thing Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #22220333rd Apr 2021 9:57 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 12 of 12 <123 ... 101112
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >