Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Surround Camera output to recorder?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Ecosse

Surround Camera output to recorder?

Having seen some film using "action cams" it got me wondering Idea The surround camera system obviously outputs to the screen in the dash, but is there some means of "tapping into" it electronically to have it record to some form of solid state recorder Shocked Would be great for off-road action videos Thumbs Up

Post #5620538th Dec 2009 3:13 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Have also been thinking about the possibility of adding a plug in camera for the back of the caravan. Anybody any thoughts on this.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5620598th Dec 2009 4:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Russell, do you have the rear only camera or the full range ?
Im interested also in a addon camera.

Pete

Post #5621858th Dec 2009 8:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Russell

United Kingdom 

I have the 5 cameras Why you got an idea Thumbs Up
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5622448th Dec 2009 9:45 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Did you know that the cameras record all the time on a loop basis to solid state storage and that, in the event of an accident, the recorded data could be used to prove your own negligence?

Post #5622498th Dec 2009 9:49 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

or not Thumbs Up
D4 camera club 

Post #5622538th Dec 2009 9:53 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi
I dont see why you couldnt record all the images as I deal with emergency service equipment sector there is a unit that records multiple images but its not cheap all that would have to be done was each camera lead would have to be split and a splitter RCA socket added in if it doesnt already have it.
Because of all the signals and extra cabling you might also need a video amplfication unit to get the picture to stay sharp.
Hope this helps
cheers

Post #5622618th Dec 2009 10:02 pm
bellautos

Yes Russell i have an idea Smile

I need to do some more digging about in the wireing diagrams to get my head round a few things first.
There should be a camera module under the left front seat where all the camers wires connect that we can possibily utilise.

The rear camera also connects in the top of the roof at the rear where it goes into a loom for the rear camera which we may be able to use.

To confirm, if you had a camera on the rear of your caravan, you would not need one on the rear of the car looking at the caravan ?

Pete

PS, can you have the cameras active while you are driving forwards ? And if so is there a speed restriction to it ?
Ive thoughts of TV/DVD via the camera module Smile

Post #5622768th Dec 2009 10:26 pm
Ecosse

Winger wrote:
Did you know that the cameras record all the time on a loop basis to solid state storage and that, in the event of an accident, the recorded data could be used to prove your own negligence?

Sounds like another reason not to go for the surround cameras Big Cry I knew that there was a buffer in the main ECU's that recorded speed, braking etc for a few seconds prior to a serious collision, but didn't know precisely what triggered it, nor indeed that the cameras also had a solid state buffer Bow down - any idea on its size (Gb/mins)? and how to play back from it? Thumbs Up

Post #5622928th Dec 2009 10:39 pm
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Pete
My cameras work moving forwards - not sure if they have a speed limit - if so, I haven't found it yet - but I try to keep looking through the windscreen when travelling (forward!) at speed Wink
Add-on camera at back of trailer would be even more useful than the standard reversing camera IMHO.
Richard

Post #5622998th Dec 2009 10:46 pm
bellautos

If they do record it must be into the Satnav screen where the HD is stored.
I know the new system with the HD does not take dvd's as the old ones and its updated via a dedicated diag port.
but im unsure what info that can be sucked out of the same port.

Pete

Post #5623018th Dec 2009 10:48 pm
bellautos

Cool, then i think i can come up with some addon using LR parts and a mixture of other bits for a rear caravan camera.

Ill need to do some tests as soon as my car arrives on the 28th to confirm, unless anyone is in York before then and is brave eniough to let me look at there wiring Smile
I recon we can use the rear camera wires for the caravan camera and possibily putting a multi wire relay in there to swap between the 2.
An extra caravan camera socket next to the trailer light sockets.
And i think we can possibile have a switch added next to that so you can flick over to the caravan camera when you plug the lights in.

Pete

Post #5623038th Dec 2009 10:53 pm
thriftwood

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

8) Bow down I might just buy one of those Very Happy - now can you do the yellow line overlay as well? Laughing
Richard

Post #5623078th Dec 2009 10:58 pm
bellautos

I recon the yellow line will be the easy bit Smile

Can anyone provide me in PM a chassis number, i need it to locate parts on Microcat catalouge for the correct model.
It wont get used at any dealers or be publicly shown.

Pete

Post #5623098th Dec 2009 11:00 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Pete
thanks for that, yes you are right about the connector at the back, it is in the trim at the back of the roof by the top tailgate where a number have mounted LED's. I have already found that and been playig with that. Yes you are right, I would not need the car rear camera if the caravan was on so could use this as the feed to the screen for the caravan camaera, this is what I have been looking at.
As for the cameras, they are supposed to be speed related, but I know they still work upto and in excess of the speed limit Whistle
I am currently at work but can PM you a chassis number later tonight when I get home if you want. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
D4 camera club 

Post #5623539th Dec 2009 7:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >