Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

supermarket parking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
chrisc

England 
supermarket parking

just been shopping in tesco scarborough,the d3 filled the space well but then a driver(who just happened to be of the fairer sex)tried to park next to me on the drivers side of the car in a corsa,she was on full lock and somehow managed to catch my rear tyre with her front tyre,there was absolutely no way she would have got in the space at that angle,i just got a blank look when i asked her if she had passed her test,why doesnt someone make parking in a supermarket car park part of the driving test,i dont mean this as a sexist comment by the way Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post #57185230th Dec 2009 8:58 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Or make the spaces a tad bigger. It seems space is of premium everywhere, and most car parks struggle to accomodate the average family hatchback, let alone the D3.

I know it wont help your situation, but most stick the D3 into Off-Road height, just to add a little margin.

Post #57185630th Dec 2009 9:03 pm
chrisc

England 

tbh,ive been in smaller spaced carparks,my d3 went in ok,she just couldnt park her car,

Post #57185930th Dec 2009 9:08 pm
dogexplo

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Not yet having sidesteps on my D3 and not wanting any car park door dinks I usually park away from the masses and adopt the one and a bit spaces strategy.I know this is selfish but it saves a lot of anguish and I dont really care.The alternative is I take SHMBO's Mondeo! Laughing
 2007 TDV6 XS Auto.
Colour coded door handles
Colour coded tailgate handle
Colour coded wheel arches
Clear LR repeaters
LR sidesteps
110 Mudflaps 

Post #57187330th Dec 2009 9:28 pm
roamingman

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

i thought it safer to park in access hight, stop nogoods nickig the spare
 convoy For Heroes record holder (348)
Live life 'til you die
Team Teddy Bears Picnic 

Post #57199430th Dec 2009 11:51 pm
al cope

England 

bay parking is in the driving test, as is parallel parking, but its one of a selection of manouvers the examiner can ask you to do, and it depends if the test center has any parking bays on site as to whether you get this on your test.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #57210131st Dec 2009 10:11 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

That must have changed since my day then, it used to be:

Reverse around a corner
Parallel park
and a 3 point turn

and as you say the examiner could choose which to give you. My wife cannot reverse into a parking space at all. She always parks a long way from the entrance so she can park easily, if it's too busy she doesn't bother parking.

I think the driving test should include parallel and bay parking as standard, stuff the reverse around a corner.

I also think the test should include motorway driving and driving at night and different conditions such as rain. I'm sure if the test covered more "normal" driving then there would be far less accidents. Germany appear to have a much more detailed test, they also have the fastest roads in the world and one of the best safety records.

I also think that there should be a legal space size for car parks and it should be large enough to cope with the largest standard car sold in the UK say more than 10,000 cars sold a year. So it would be big enough for a D3 or Rang Rover etc.

While we are talking about car parks, 3 things:

1 Why is the ratio of disabled spaces far greater than the ratio of disabled people to non disabled? I know a car park near me where about 15 - 20% of the spaces are for disabled?

2 Why are parent and child spaces near the entrance? I have three children and parking in parent and child is useful for getting them in and out, but I don't need to be near the entrance. I'd be happy to be at the furthest point at least then we wouldn't get people without kids taking up the spaces.

3 Why don't supermarkets etc. police the use of disabled and parent and child spaces? We were in M&S the other day and there was a young couple with their smart car, parked in a parent and child. Twisted Evil

As you can tell I'm quite passionate about this!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #57211231st Dec 2009 10:53 am
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

roamingman wrote:

that's what ray's plates are for..

i park in offroad height with as much mud as possible. usually come back to a space either side

or another landy next to me.. Rolling with laughter
 one wife.......livid  
Post #57211531st Dec 2009 11:00 am
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Stu wrote:

1 Why is the ratio of disabled spaces far greater than the ratio of disabled people to non disabled? I know a car park near me where about 15 - 20% of the spaces are for disabled?

so that there is enough room for the disabled and the fat lazy selfish bars***s like me who use them for nipping in Wink

equal rights and all that Whistle
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #57211931st Dec 2009 11:05 am
roamingman

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

James I only hope one day you do not need disabaled bay, only to find all the lazy b:censored:ds are useing them, it is very fustrating. And I will be glad when the law is changed.
 convoy For Heroes record holder (348)
Live life 'til you die
Team Teddy Bears Picnic 

Post #57213831st Dec 2009 12:23 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

My Father is disabled and it does my head in when people park in the spaces that shouldnt - given the opportunity, I will let tyres down - done it a few times in local pub Thumbs Up

Post #57215231st Dec 2009 12:45 pm
slipware

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

roamingman wrote:

I do the same to avoid having my Cat nicked, as a fried has had done, very expensive too! Also, I'm tiny and It's easier to get in and out on Access Height. I ALWAYS reverse into a space, and can get in the smallest supermarket space, and yes, I'm of the "fairer" sex too! We aren't all numb skulls..... Laughing
 If you never try, you'll never know...  
Post #57215931st Dec 2009 12:57 pm
Stu

Quote:
I do the same to avoid having my Cat nicked

Wouldn't it just be easier to leave moggy at home? Very Happy
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #57216031st Dec 2009 1:01 pm
Stu

I don't always reverse into a space. If you reverse in and then have a trolly load of shopping to stick in the boot, it's a bit of a pain when you can't open the tailgate or get the trolly next to it. Whistle

Seriously though there are many females who can park without hassle (my mum for example) but my Wife cannot park for toffee and will freely admit that, my comments were not in any way sexist, just a statement about Mrs Stu
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #57216531st Dec 2009 1:04 pm
pko

England 
police in disabled bay

I saw a police panda car parked in a disabled bay so I took a photo of it. The policeman saw me do it & got very aggressive with me, & wanted me to hand over my camera, which I wouldn't, as a result I made a complaint to their senior officer, who phoned me very apolagetic about the officer's attitude, but wouldn't give me a "get out of gaol free card" to use if I get caught doing wrong. My objection was that the police can park wherever they like to do their duty, so they didn't need to take up a space for a disabled person.
 never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

current motor RRsport hse

prev. cars TD5
3 Ford Explorers
2 Ford Mavericks
Sierra 4x4 

Post #57221331st Dec 2009 3:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >