Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Superb 8 speed Gearbox
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Ecosse

Superb 8 speed Gearbox

Thought it was time to post the other side of the coin to the thread complaining about the new gearbox. Having had the 6 speed box in both a D3 & D4, I've also now tried the new 8 speed in detail.... and it's a huge step forward Very Happy

The main features to note are:-
1. The extra gears allow the car to select a more appropriate gear for the torque band, beneficial both in ordinary driving (it seems to have almost an overdrive style 8th) and also when towing heavy trailers.
2. The paddle shift is a huge improvement on the old gearstick activation of command shift - it operates in both D & D-Sport. From what I can see, in D it then reverts to auto after 10 secs, so it's effectively a temporary manual intervention which is great for overtaking moves or for using engine braking; while in Sport it acts in the same way as the "old" command shift ie you are permanently in manual so this would be the off-road mode. The paddle shift is instant in responding whereas the old stick shift requires time to respond to instructions and cannot provide the sporty response to multiple downshifts at all.
3. Kickdown is very fast - AND - unlike the old gearbox it jumps several gears at once if need be, whether by accelerator kick down or the paddle shift. and it's intelligent eg if you are in auto on the level at say 50mph it may be in 8th gear, click the paddle shift and it will drop probably to 5th (in ONE change), but at the same speed if you are on a downward hill it will drop to 4th or 3rd in order to give you engine braking.
4. Gearchanges are VERY fast - faster than the Audi S-tronic dual clutch system, VERY smooth, and go direct to any gear (haven't tried an 8h to 1st but it did do 8th to 2nd!

On the negative side, you have to adapt to using the "knob" rather than a stick, the paddles seem cheap plastic feeling (they are plastic!), it changes gear more frequently if you listen carefully to the engine note as it is keeping the gear matched to power/torque/road etc (but there are 8 not 6 gears so there will have to be more changes!), and they still do not have the gear number selected showing on the screen when in Auto (it does in Sport or Command Shift).

Like all autos it needs a torque convertor (or similar) to operate so there will always be situations when there may appear to be lag - I could only replicate this from a standstill, NOT when already moving, and then ONLY if you "welly" the accelerator 9ie slam it to the floor, which is a completely unnecessary method of driving) - if you apply the accelerator firmly and partly rather than to the floor (almost as a trained driver "feathers" the brakes rather than stomping on them) it takes off immediately, so it just requires adapting to this technique & not over-reacting by having a panic and completely flooring the accelerator.

Well worth a trip to the local Dealer for a test drive - and don't be put off by postings attempting to blame the car for driver failure in not understanding how to adapt to driving it Shocked

Post #93449423rd May 2012 11:10 am
Peely

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

t7mbo, me and all the others .................... WE'RE ALL WRONG !!!!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Glad we've got that cleared up, we can all get on and 'learn how to drive now !!'

Post #93455223rd May 2012 1:50 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

See Peely, it's all your fault!! Laughing Laughing Thumbs Up

Only kidding, but just in case print that out and stick it on your windscreen, preferably in your line of sight, so you can be reminded of how to drive properly!! Rolling Eyes

Post #93455523rd May 2012 1:57 pm
Ecosse

DSL wrote:
just in case print that out and stick it on your windscreen, preferably in your line of sight, so you can be reminded of how to drive properly!! Rolling Eyes

Glad you found it informative & educational Rolling with laughter

Just because a small handful of owners perceive a problem, and attempt to "flare" a contrary thread, doesn't mean there is an issue; - if you think there is a genuine problem then report it to your Dealer, escalate it to LR to get one of their engineers out to check it - remember LR have issued a warranty & if you "know" there is a problem then enforce your rights under that warranty (the warranty is with LR not the dealer). Simply repetitively posting your grievances on the forum doesn't achieve anything!

Post #93455723rd May 2012 2:07 pm
Peely

Mmmm, I had a similar experience when I took one of my two test drives at the local dealers, when I had a fully warmed up D4 sat waiting for me !

I have been driving for more than 30yrs, driven all sorts of cars, trucks, and sports cars along with a couple of racing cars.

I have never experienced a gearbox that suffers from lag like this one (maybe that's why LR brought out an update, who knows ?) Rolling Eyes

I have contacted my dealer, who explains that there is nothing more he can do, and so have several others, the reason I put it on here is to get anyone's similar opinions on the new 2012 8 speed box, which is what I thought forums where for ?

Try 'feathering' the throttle when you have a 40 ton truck approaching you at 50mph, or try using it when it's stone cold first thing in the morning, you really have no idea how bad it is from a test drive, and please don't come on here preaching about how some of us 'don't know how to drive it'. I suppose both myself, t7mbo and others are all wrong eh ? Like I said, you really have no idea from a test drive, try using one on a daily basis and then please come on the forum and tell us about it ............ maybe then we'll listen ! Rolling Eyes

Post #93456323rd May 2012 2:22 pm
Ecosse

Peely wrote:
try using one on a daily basis and then please come on the forum and tell us about it ............ maybe then we'll listen ! Rolling Eyes

Glad to hear that, but somehow I doubt it Wink

Post #93456723rd May 2012 2:29 pm
GlosBoy

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I think its an 8 speed box issue.

I am not lucky enuf to have a LR D4 8 speed but have recently got an Audi A5 with 8 speed.

If I leave it in "D" mode it has the worst lag I have ever experienced and almost been written off at round-abouts a couple of times. Its scarey.

The only safe way for the Audi is flip it into Sports mode when approaching a round-about and then the Lag seems less, however the steering torque is FRIGHTENTING and I bounce around the roundabout like a demented 17 year old.

I have a couple of colleagues who have same car and do the above

My previous Merc (7 Speed) never had the issue , hence my comment above
 D4 HSE - Aintree Green
D4 Orkney my13 - gone
Stornaway D4. Gone, Didn't like it at all
D3 silver manual. Loved my first LR

Post #93457123rd May 2012 2:34 pm
t7mbo

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Took our caravan in for its annual service yesterday.
On approaching an island on Wolverhampton ringroad I slowed down, to make sure the coast was clear, to about 10/15 mph then pressed the throttle to enter the island.
Nothing!! There was a good 2 seconds delay before the car took off like a scalded cat!
Now, where is the number for the brisish school of Motoring? I obviously need to learn how to drive again!

The disco is basically my wifes car. I have a 2012 XKR auto and a Nissan Navara auto.
One of my co directors has a 730d bmw auto. I drive all these cars regularly, and have been driving for 35 years, but I have never experienced a box like the one on the disco.
It is positively dangerous in my opinion!
Driving back from Wales last sunday with our 3 kids in the back, I tried to pull out at a junction and you fell like getting out and pushing the damn thing to get it going!

The dealers I have approached seem at a loss to cure it, although they do admit there is an issue.

I just don't know where to go from here.......

Post #93458123rd May 2012 2:47 pm
Ecosse

t7mbo wrote:

I just don't know where to go from here.......

t7mbo - at least your posting is a bit more constructive than Peely's, but then we were running a sweepstake here as to how long it would take for him to take the bait based on the tone of his previous postings Laughing .

My reckoning is that there are different software implementations on the box - ZF produce it for LR & even if they configure their software to suit, it will then have to match with LR's systems as well so it may not be just the g-box program? - the vehicle I've used has none of the problems, and I'm the first to complain if there is something genuinely wrong with a car (my D3 went back to the factory & we hit LR itself with a successful action under the warranty when they didn't resolve matters promptly) - it has been driven in a variety of conditions (other than motorway) from urban, fast country roads, 4ton gross trailer, horse trailer, cold starts (at 0C) with short fast journeys following, etc etc and these symptons do not show up. The vehicle I've run is an April build so may have a later software version.
In answer to the question of where to go - if you are genuinely encountering this & can replicate it easily - then give the garage another opportunity (in writing) to resolve it, also write LR CS advising that you require it resolved under their warranty. If no joy, then get an independent written assessment of the problem - a highly qualified driving instructor or similar giving an opionion of the subjective driving experience - and write to LR & the dealer again giving them 10 days to confirm how they intend resolving the matter & asking them to confirm that in writing. If they have a solution give them a chance to resolve it; if they don't then give them another 7 days under threat that you will raise an action against them. Then, assuming that the car is not unusable, raise a Small Claims Action (or whatever it's called in England) - I'd suggest just pursuing LR itself in the firstplace rather than looking at technicalities of Sale Of Goods re the dealer - raise a simple action of Specific Implement failing which Damages - that basically calls on them to implement their contract (the LR warranty) or failing that to have damages awarded against them. It's easy & cheap to raise & if LR have ignored you to then, they will suddenly take notice! For the avoidance of doubt, that's not formal legal advice- you have to go to your solicitor for that!
In the end of the day, repetitive posting on this forum won't resolve it Shocked - direct action such as above will Very Happy

Post #93458923rd May 2012 3:11 pm
t7mbo

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Right!
letter just disctated and sent to LR customer services.
Will keep you informed...

Post #93461523rd May 2012 3:49 pm
Ecosse

t7mbo wrote:
Right!
letter just disctated and sent to LR customer services.
Will keep you informed...

Fine - best to also write to the garage to give them an opportunity as well (if it's the selling garage you are dealing with) as you want to keep that avenue open as well, and even if it's not the selling garage they are LR's authorised warranty repairer and as such are acting as an agent for LR. Also, often for the sake of <£1 extra, using Recorded Delivery gives added impact Wink

Feel free to PM me if you want off-forum info on how I dealt with LR previously. Same offer applies to Peely, as although I don't agree with his current approach, I do know from my previous D3 just how infuriating it is when a car of this price does not perform as you expected, but there is a limit as to how much the Disco3 forum can help in resolving such issues & a measured direct approach is sometimes needed.

Post #93461723rd May 2012 3:59 pm
Peely

Ecosse wrote:
[- the vehicle I've used has none of the problems, and I'm the first to complain if there is something genuinely wrong with a car - it has been driven in a variety of conditions (other than motorway) from urban, fast country roads, 4ton gross trailer, horse trailer, cold starts (at 0C) with short fast journeys following, etc etc and these symptons do not show up. The vehicle I've run is an April build so may have a later software version.

.................... that was some test drive !! Thumbs Up

Ecosse wrote:
In the end of the day, repetitive posting on this forum won't resolve it Shocked - direct action such as above will Very Happy

Please read my previous post, (you seem to have read every other!) if you had you would realise that I have explained in every deatail what my experiences where and problems I was experiencing, and maybe get a guide to see how many other 8 speed owners had experienced the same problem, which has proven very useful, and the next step, should I wish, is to contact LR.

t7mbo, best of luck, but judging by the gearbox and other users comments, even in other model cars, it might be a long drawn out experience and one that I ain't prepared to wait for ! Thumbs Up

Post #93462223rd May 2012 4:21 pm
Ecosse

Peely wrote:

.................... that was some test drive !! Thumbs Up

Please read my previous post, (you seem to have read every other!) :

Peely - perhaps YOU should read the original post in this thread a bit more carefully Wink

As noted, I'd correctly assumed you'd take the bait from the wording of the post & just jump to conclusions - with a bit more experience of dealing with such issues you may realise you have to apply a level of attention to detail at all times and then deal with the issue stage by stage.... or you're certainly not going to resolve the problem you perceive you have with the car Rolling Eyes

Post #93462823rd May 2012 4:35 pm
Peely

Re: Superb 8 speed Gearbox

Mmmmmm, the one where you said,
Ecosse wrote:
and don't be put off by postings attempting to blame the car for driver failure in not understanding how to adapt to driving it Shocked

Even though several posts have commented that there maybe a problem with the gearbox and it hesitating when trying to apply power ?

...................................... Yeah, I should read them again eh ? Rolling Eyes

Post #93463523rd May 2012 5:02 pm
Ecosse

Re: Superb 8 speed Gearbox

Peely wrote:

...................................... Yeah, I should read them again eh ? Rolling Eyes

Yes, you certainly should, and change your approach to the issue, as you're otherwise going to get absolutely nowhere with LR in resolving the issue Rolling Eyes

Post #93463923rd May 2012 5:20 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >