Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Supaguard?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
flatline

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
Supaguard?

So... is 'Supaguard' worth paying for when buying a new Discovery?

I'm being offered a £200 discount if I spec' it on my new SDV6 HSE, as my old '07 SE has it, and the dealer (Guy Salmon in Bristol) said it was easier to bring a 'Supaguard' equiped car up to forecourt condition when prep'ing it for re-sale....

Let the debate begin......

Thanks for your views,

FL
 Just swapped my '07 D3 SE for a 2012MY SDV6 HSE in Baltic Blue... and then later on changed that one for a 2015 HSE in Loire Blue Smile  
Post #90925014th Mar 2012 4:02 am
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My personal view is that it is a waste of money, hugely overpriced and another commission for the salesman. You can sometimes buy the kits reasonably cheap on Ebay and do it yourself.
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #90925614th Mar 2012 7:31 am
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

how much do they change ??
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #90925714th Mar 2012 7:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pjgraham86

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Prior to delivery of my D4 in October, I had a professional detailer prepare it and he used GTechniq products on paint, wheels, glass and leather. Excellent products - beading still excellent on the paint and water runs off the glass very easily so less need for wipers.

He also polished out some minor scratches before applying the products so the finish was first class.

I paid £350 and consider that to be great value, as washing is now very easy. I occassionally top up the finish on the paint with Gtechniq C2, just by spraying it on prior to drying.

Gtechniq keeps a list of detailers authorised to apply C1 (the main paint protection product). Check out the website.

I have no connection to Gtechniq or anyone associted with them BTW - just a happy customer !

P

Post #90929214th Mar 2012 10:04 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As with any of these "insert name"guard products, they're only good if you are prepared to keep them topped up. As soon as you put any kind of cleaning polish on it or Traffic Film Remover, then the guard is removed and you need to make sure it's re-applied.

The gtechniq top up spray is a polymer based spray which will make the car look good and the beading does work to make it easier to clean. There are many of these types on the market.

so IMHO
IF you are prepared to keep it maintained, then any preparation product will help.

IMHO I would rather pay a detailer the £350 to do a full and proper job than a dealer to get someone in who may well do a decent job, but of course takes a cut of the cost, so in reality you'll get nothing better than a quick polish up and a bag of top up liquids.

But then also IMHO D3's should be dirty Laughing Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #90930614th Mar 2012 10:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paul White

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Supaguard should be included in the deal when you buy new....it was in my last car and is this time.

Plus a proper Supaguard carry-case with 6 cans of detailing fluids plus brushes, dusters etc.

Paul

Post #90934814th Mar 2012 12:03 pm
azurar01

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Hi, I have had several cars coated in 'Diamond Britte' and one in 'Supaguard'. As has been said, they do help to keep the car clean, but they do require maintenance if you use abrasive cleaning polishes.

(FYI: IMHO the Diamond Britte is better.)

Given the choice now, I prefer to use Autoglym and Meguiars plus some elbow grease. I think this is more cost effective.
 D4 SDV6 HSE 11MY - Gone
D3 TDV6 HSE 08MY - Gone 

Post #90935414th Mar 2012 12:16 pm
petet

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

I thought most Disco owners had something better to do than wash cars, so I had dealer do some fancy paintwork protection on my 06 HSE when I bought it 5 years ago. It got washed when it went for a service and when I decided it was time to upgrade to a D4 recently was surprised that two dealers noted the quality of the finish and offered me a decent price for it. Has proved to be the lowest depreciation car I have owned in the last 25 years, even though it was more expensive up front.

Pete

Post #92490225th Apr 2012 10:00 pm
Col6C

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Lots of kits for sale on the bay, buy one and do it yourself, you can top up now and then with the sponges which can be bought for around 3 quid.
Takes a little bit longer to do as it should be left on for around 30mins before removing but the finish is worth the effort
Thumbs Up
 to finish second is to be first last !!  
Post #92495325th Apr 2012 11:30 pm
allforus

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had the Williams ceramic paint treatment applied thoughtit was a bit of a gimmick but beading is good and tar splats just wipe off with a damp cloth cost £200 worth it I think

Post #92500026th Apr 2012 7:16 am
grahamk

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

As has been said...a detailed with professional products rather than at the dealer.

Post #92500326th Apr 2012 7:24 am
gvw

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

My father in law paid for a similar treatment on his new caravan - complete waste of money - did little what the salesman said

Post #92503426th Apr 2012 9:03 am
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I've wondered about this stuff and as a regular on Pistonheads asked in their detailing forum... there's a guy on there called Kelly who does fantastic work on these cars and I have NEVER seen a finish like it... for those that wants a top mirror like finish then take a look at this as an example of the "colour sanding" and polishing a proper top notch detailer can do at their workshops...

http://www.kdskeltec.co.uk/nissan_navara-1.phtml

I've no affiliation with this guy, others are available, DYOR etc., and hoping I'm not breaking any forum rules by linking to an example of a proper detailers work....

Post #92506726th Apr 2012 9:56 am
Peely

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

When purchasing my D4 recently the salesman explained that because of the deal he was doing on the car the Supaguard would need to be shown on the invoice, even though I wasn't having it done, why ................. because he made more commission on that than he did on the deal for the car !

Fine by me, supose that says everything ! Wink

Post #92507726th Apr 2012 10:08 am
Blue62

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

This one often comes up when people collect their new car. I am no expert but have a lot of experience of buying new cars and my advice is that there are much better products on the market than Superguard. If you really want to go that route then get a proper detail done, it will cost more but far better value. I have not detailed my Disco yet, big car = lots of time, but if and when I do I will use the Nanolex products, they're brilliant and fairly easy to apply. I treated my 'weekend' toy from new and 8 months later all I have to do is wash it down with a little soap and water (wheels as well) and the dirt just slides off. It cost around £80 plus a lot of elbow grease.

Post #92509026th Apr 2012 10:30 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >