Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Sunroof drain, easy fix ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Shauneyboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 3
Sunroof drain, easy fix ?

After finding the passenger side footwell flooded on occasions I looked on this great forum for answers a couple of years ago and as always got some excellent replies. I’m sure the advice would have solved the problem but some suggested a little in-depth including moving the fuse box for access to the joint which is notorious for rotting and causing the problem. Short term answer and short on time for me was to tape up the sunroof with black electrical tape and it worked a treat. Few years on and with summer approaching I do fancy fixing the issue so I can use the sunroof.
My idea, is to simply remove the A pillar trim, cut the drain tube, attach into a larger diameter tube and run this tube by any route i see fit to a lower of the inner wheel arch , drill hole, grommet, job done !?
Thoughts appreciated.

Post #19420083rd May 2018 11:08 am
ibruceuk

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think you'll struggle equally to find a new candidate for a drain hole.

I put off the sunroof drain a little bit as well due to the CJB being a big scary job but it took me about 90 minutes in total to remove it fit the new pipe and put it all back together. It's not that bad a job, just need to take your time and be a contortionist.

Post #19420443rd May 2018 12:43 pm
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Did this just after I got my D3 in January.

Bought the RR Sport hoses as they only cost about £4 from landrover dealer and fit the D3; hose needs trimming if changing the whole thing and not just the elbow.

Managed it in about half a day, and agree re contortionist. But, once done it’s done, and has to be better than drilling holes thru the a pillar.

Plus if the elbow is rotted, what are you going to do to stop water getting in through the old elbow? As it is just behind the junction box you could find you still end up with issues of corrosion.

Lastly, as you mention the a pillar trim, have you checked or changed your external a pillar trim to see if the new seal kit has been fitted, as this could also be your problem?

Also, have you checked your aircon drain hoses; both driver and passanger footwell on the side of the centre console.

And ..... the cabin filter chamber air intake ....

So many options .,..

Post #19420773rd May 2018 2:23 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

There is another way Very Happy

Take the outer wing off. Easy job to do, pictures on this forum if you do a search. Take off A pillar, drop corner of roof lining and remove pipe from sunroof spigot. Tape the new length of pipe to the old if you are using new pipe,although that's not essential. Grab hold of whats left of the old grommet where it exits the inner wing with long nose pliers - make sure you get hold of some healthy rubber and pull it through. Make sure the end of the old pipe is in good condition if your going to use it. Connect the RRS new elbow up and then coat the rubber flange with vaseline or similar and push it back through the inner wing till it pops into place.

Test ! and then refit all the parts you removed and look amazingly at how un scratched your hands are, not having tried to contort them around the JB Laughing

Post #19421563rd May 2018 7:41 pm
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The new elbows have rigid plastic inserts to join to the hose; least the ones I got did.

Do they fit back thru the holes in the wing?

If so, then absolutely that sounds much better than removing the CJB on the passanger side.

Post #19422143rd May 2018 10:45 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

^
Yes, pull the pipe through, join up and then apply a bit of vaseline and feed it back, the warmer it is the easier the 'flange' goes back into place.

Post #196763026th Jul 2018 1:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >