Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Strange gremlins since Salisbury trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Strange gremlins since Salisbury trip

This afternoon I was driving my (very dirty) D3 and it kept sounding the 'ping' warning about every minute or so. There was no error message or lights on the dash to indicate what the 'ping' was for. Then about 8 miles into the journey (and still intermittently pinging) the windscreen washers squirted water onto the screen by themselves Shocked It was only a small squirt which was for a second or less, but it gave me a bit of a shock.
Maybe a ghost got in with me. My journey back was fine. Or maybe the water at Salisbury has caused some electrical problems or corrosion. I hope not.
 Matt  
Post #13882114th Mar 2007 6:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

maybee its sensed your car is dirty Laughing and trying to tell you.

Is the part behind the interior mirror dirty ?(on the glass) could it be it senses that its dirty Shocked
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #13882814th Mar 2007 6:13 pm
JMC

Scotland 

Matt Is your seatbelt chime disconnected? If not, did you have something sat on the passenger seat?

Post #13885014th Mar 2007 7:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

maybe it's something to with all that d3 'swimming' in the river Matt? Laughing
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #13890914th Mar 2007 9:56 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Might be a side effect of driving sideways so much! Or it could be the ghosts of Tight Ar$es of eons past!

Last edited by DSL on 14th Mar 2007 9:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13891114th Mar 2007 9:56 pm
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Sounds like premature ejaculation to me - if D3's can do that. Rolling Eyes
 Life is what you make it.  
Post #13891214th Mar 2007 9:57 pm
d3matt

JMC wrote:
Matt Is your seatbelt chime disconnected? If not, did you have something sat on the passenger seat?

No & no.
The chime was the same one for the ice alert. The fact that the windscreen washers came on on their own accord must mean that there is some water damage somewhere in the electrics. I did do 7 ford crossings on Sunday, so I'm not surprised. When you all left on Sunday afternoon, I stayed at the fords with Chris & Brendan and did a bit more swimming. My suspension went into extended mode too, so it must of got light on the wheels.

I've driven it twice since today and all is fine. I'm not too worried at this stage.
 Matt  
Post #13899014th Mar 2007 11:27 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

deffo sounds like water ingress somewhere, is the BJB dry? i'd also check in the drivers footwell trim panel adjacent to the accelerator - worst case is to get it connected to IDS and read the DTC's to get an idea of affected systems, it's possible - but unlikely - that the CJB is going a bit loopy Rolling Eyes

Post #13899714th Mar 2007 11:37 pm
d3matt

10forcash wrote:
deffo sounds like water ingress somewhere, is the BJB dry? i'd also check in the drivers footwell trim panel adjacent to the accelerator - worst case is to get it connected to IDS and read the DTC's to get an idea of affected systems, it's possible - but unlikely - that the CJB is going a bit loopy Rolling Eyes

Errr, too many acronyms. Doesn't make much sense.
Lets try to make sense of this.
BJB...Well I know what a BJ is, so I guess the other B must be for 'blonde'. Well my BJ Blonde is never dry when she's with me.
IDS...maybe "Ian Duncan Smith". After a quick search on here, I see it means "Integrated Deepwater System". Sounds about right. Didn't know my D3 had one. Maybe it's not working - hence the gremlins atfer Sunday's ford crossings.
DTC...Well in my trade that's a "Digital Cordless Telephone". But then it could be "Design Cycle Time" and as mine is getting to 12 months old in a couple of weeks time, then maybe it's time to change it.
CJB...Well again in my trade that's a "Central Junction Box", so it could be the same. But then a junction box can't go loopy as it is only a termination point. Others would know it as "Criminal Justice Bureau". Still no clearer.
 Matt  
Post #13902915th Mar 2007 12:07 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Which ever way you look at it Matt....you've got a wet end somewhere Rolling Eyes
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13903515th Mar 2007 12:10 am
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

have the bodysnatchers struck again? I'm almost tempted to change to BM but it's a bit close to B* for my liking...
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #13903915th Mar 2007 12:13 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BJB = Battery Junction box
CJB = Central junction box
IDS = Integrated Diagnostic System
DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code

In D3 speak, the CJB has it's own processor and is the termination point for CANbus and several LIN's so it's possible that it's issuing erroneous instructions

It's possible that there's water ingress into a CANbus connector causing missed or corrupted messages causing the CJB to activate the systems mentioned

DG sums it up nicely Wink

Post #13904215th Mar 2007 12:18 am
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Mine was alright till I washed it Sad When I locked it all sorts of things happened, hazards heater fan central locking sat nav screen all started flashing/going on and off. Eventually cleared after several miles driving Smile Thought I was going to have to sit in it all night till it dried out.
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #13918415th Mar 2007 12:06 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Did the same as you guys in my humble S, no problem with weird events, only my EPB packing up (now fixed). Maybe it's a HSE thing?? Shocked Shocked

Post #13919115th Mar 2007 12:31 pm
Pelyma

England 

My HSE is fine, but I wasn't there on Sunday Big Cry
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #13921015th Mar 2007 1:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to: