Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Starting Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Starting Woes

My D3, 05, 48,000 miles is becoming a pain to cold start.

It takes a lot of cranking and then either stops again as soon as key is released or tries to run at about 400 rpm for a good 5 seconds before picking up. I then get a second bong.

Additionally, if you move from cold straight into a traffic jam it can stall if left in drive?

On top of this, in the 3000 miles since its last service it has already consumed 1 litre of oil.

Have I got a problem? (well the car at least Whistle ) it has just spent two days in the`dealer about this and there is nothing showing up?
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #22748424th Nov 2007 10:27 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The starting could be software related but I would think it is using too much oil.
If you stall when takinfg off you could start saying things like dangerous and unsafe, preferably in writing, it is amazing how quickly they may wish to their a Censored s. Whistle
Something is clearly wrong dont't give up keep at them.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #22749724th Nov 2007 11:12 am
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Spotter,

got the same issues, only since it's gone cold here. In fact this week it has warmed up a bit and it's not so bad. But when it's an early morning start, then it can take 5 minutes of messing around to get her going.

Booked in for Wednesday morning, hope it's cold !!!!!!!!!!
 Mrs Jones ? We've come for your Liver  
Post #22763624th Nov 2007 5:09 pm
SPOTTER

mine is back in again on Thursday

we shall see Thumbs Up

...I suspect the oil consumption is a seperate issue to the starting and stalling Rolling Eyes
Post #22770424th Nov 2007 7:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Starting Woes

SPOTTER wrote:
Additionally, if you move from cold straight into a traffic jam it can stall if left in drive?
Sounds like contaminated transmission oil - they need to 'double flush' the transmission as detailed in JLR 13 38 10 1_E  
Post #22773124th Nov 2007 8:25 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

Had problems starting the wife's D3 today too.
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #22778724th Nov 2007 10:35 pm
DiscoStu

England 

Did she have the keys?
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #22792225th Nov 2007 3:44 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Slightly Off Topic, but might improve your starts until you get to a stealer : Just in case I over do it with the parking heater timer and flatten my battery, I've just invested in one of these - a jump starter battery pack and air compressor for £20...it wont work if the main battery has had it, but it should work if it's just touch and go. Easier to attach than a Makita rechargeable cordless drill battery too Whistle
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #22792825th Nov 2007 4:21 pm
SPOTTER

Re: Starting Woes

10forcash wrote:
SPOTTER wrote:
Sounds like contaminated transmission oil - they need to 'double flush' the transmission as detailed in JLR 13 38 10 1_E

Thanks 10FC but what is a JLR?

Also will my vehicle still be on its original transmission fluid having had the 45 K service?

Bit warmer this morning it only hesiatetd for a couple of seconds before deciding to run Rolling Eyes

Is the battery likely to be a culprit at nearly 3 yeras old? The vehicle does very few short journeys.

Many thanks

S
Post #22812926th Nov 2007 8:37 am
SPOTTER

stapldm wrote:
Slightly Off Topic, but might improve your starts until you get to a stealer : Just in case I over do it with the parking heater timer and flatten my battery, I've just invested in one of these - a jump starter battery pack and air compressor for £20...it wont work if the main battery has had it, but it should work if it's just touch and go. Easier to attach than a Makita rechargeable cordless drill battery too Whistle

I think if I can't start it, it would be a call to LRA and retire into the house for a nice coffee Thumbs Up
Post #22813026th Nov 2007 8:39 am
SPOTTER

No joy yet and I notice TR seems to have similar issues. Did you get anywhere Nigel Tracey?
Post #2312886th Dec 2007 5:58 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

stapldm wrote:
Slightly Off Topic ... I've just invested in one of these - a jump starter battery pack and air compressor for £20...

That looks like good value for money - I wonder how it would compare with this?

Post #2312936th Dec 2007 6:07 pm
Nigel Tracey

Switzerland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

To Spotter:

Yes and no ! They ran some tests and made some adjustments but then decided it was me ! ie the way that I try to start the D3. They asked if i pump the gas before and during starting (I do) and they reckon that this was probably a major factor. just a bad habbit I guess from the Defender days. Since then I have had no starting woes although it's not been so cold, down to about zero ish. I now turn the key to position3 and as the good man said just let the starter motor do it's job, perhaps I had a habbit of turning back to position 2 too early ?

Any joy on your side ?

On the bright side I did get a free wash Rolling with laughter
 Mrs Jones ? We've come for your Liver  
Post #2313176th Dec 2007 7:06 pm
SPOTTER

Mine is getting worse....it was 12 degrees last night and after a day at work it faltered a lot starting. I don't pump the gas, do wait for glow plugs and I have even now taken to holding the key in position 3 for longer and longer but it doesn't seem to help........................I am used to diesels that start at the first turn of the key.....or if they are mercs, the starting process is completely automated once you to turn the key (i.e. if you release before the car thinks you should it carries on cranking).

What bothers me is that it is deteriorating................................

However dealer said no error messages therefore no problem.....how on earth did they manage to service cars before the laptop diagnostic was invented?
Post #2315597th Dec 2007 7:44 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Spotter, have the dealership checked that the injectors aren't leaking ?... (as in, leaking fuel into the cylinders whilst parked up for the day / night).

Post #2315947th Dec 2007 9:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >