Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Starting Woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

no idea, I will ask Thumbs Up
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #2315997th Dec 2007 10:57 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Just a thought, and with your cars issues, that's what I'd be thinking of first. Mine starts straight away, but suffers with a period of uneven running (hunting) during the warm up period in this weather (it's ok in warmer weather). Sometimes almost stalls too, I've had the alternator charging light come on a few times, but it has not cut out on me yet. After mentioning these things at 3 dealer visits, still not rectified. Twisted Evil

Post #2316057th Dec 2007 11:09 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

TazDaz wrote:
That looks like good value for money - I wonder how it would compare with this?

Other than the colour of the case, the rest of the components all seem to be in remarkably the same place and identical... Whistle
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #2316637th Dec 2007 1:44 pm
Mole Master

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Cold Start Problems

Hi,

I have the same problem with my Auto D3. It all seemed to start December 2006 the first cold snap after the prog. enhancement. Took the car to the dealer but nothing found in the log so 'nothing wrong' was the reply.

Now December 2007, the recent colder spell, it will take 14 attempts to start (2' C) even waiting for the glow plug timer each time and when it starts if the throttle is pressed the engine cuts out. Recently it also seems gutless when you put your foot down at more than 60 mph and I suspect it changes down a gear to compensate for lack of torque. This might explain why I get 21 or 22 mpg on a run.
It is now at the dealership being checked out again but nothing found yet, 2nd day. Landrover told the dealership they should have the car overnight so it could cool down to check the Glow Plugs then when told they were not coming on Landrover replied they would not unless the temperature was below 5' C.

I hope they can find the cause as I am off to the Alps in a weeks time , what also concerns me is that May 2008 is the end of the warranty and from past experience Landrover don't want to honour ongoing problems once the warranty has expired.

Have you learned any more regarding your problem?

All the best

Mole Master

Post #2316767th Dec 2007 2:30 pm
SPOTTER

Hi Mole Master

next chat tomorrow, so we shall see. I am taking the "car will be in the alps in 3 weeks approach as well!!!
Post #2322649th Dec 2007 5:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I had starting problems with mine.
It turned out to be corrupt software files.
They reinstalled the software and appeared to improve.
Mine started to shudder on cold start ups when it was colder but they could not find the fault.
Too warm now to tell.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2323519th Dec 2007 11:26 pm
SPOTTER

4 degrees this morning and started no problem...................

that would seem to indicate to me an electronic rather than mechanicl problem..........annoyin Twisted Evil g........
Post #23240410th Dec 2007 10:23 am
Mole Master

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
STARTING WOES - Follow up.

Hi again,

Following my post early December 2007 --

My vehicle (Disco3 TDV6) was at the dealership for a week for checks to be carried out, as requested by LR Tech, regarding my starting issues. The glow plugs were checked and at first were thought to be a problem until LR told the dealership they would not come on unless the temperature was below 5'C but later said they might come on even if the temperature was 7'C or even other temperatures Question . The glow plugs were deemed OK - NO FAULT FOUND.
The spill back from each injector was then measured. Had there been too much spillback that would have indicated a faulty injector but again NO FAULT FOUND.
The drive software was reloaded. The last night my Discovery was at the Dealership the temperature fell to minus 5'C and they informed me that it started normally and they had found no faults.

Then came my trip to the alps where the temperature day and night varied between MINUS 8'C and MINUS 10'C
and the engine started first time every time PROVIDING I DID NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE DURING THE STARTING PROCEDURE. Thumbs Up I could simulate my starting problems by just touching the throttle when I thought the engine was going to fire.

So if anyone is experiencing startig problems try just turning the key to crank the engine (after glow plug timeout) until it starts then let it tick over for 10 to 15 seconds before touching the throttle.

My new problem is that during my 2000mile trip my fuel burning heater was continually burning when the engine was running when the temperature was below 5'c (1500 miles) even after the engine was up to temperature.
I am now also getting error messages - 'Transmission Fault - Traction Reduced' and 'Low Coolant Level' when there seems to be nothing wrong with either and they clear if the engine is restarted once or twice. Evil or Very Mad

I hope my observations might help others with starting problems and I look forward to any feedback regarding my new problems.

Happy New Year everyone.

Mole Master

Post #23866231st Dec 2007 3:33 am
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I have been having starting problems too in the last couple of weeks. And yesterday and today even worse, with symptoms that make me think that the problem is on the electronic side. Details in the thread TDV6 Glowplugs [url] http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic16749.html [/url].

Eric

Post #2396683rd Jan 2008 3:04 pm
SPOTTER

I have also just updated on the glowplug thread as per espri.....................

Happy New year all Very Happy
Post #2396723rd Jan 2008 3:11 pm
Bogblaster

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I have been in Cz for just short of a fortnight and I to am having the cold start problems, not a huge amount of cranking 10 seconds max, sometimes it is easier to turn off and re-crank.

My first thoughts were leaky injector as she idles roughly when started, but the following day I pumped the throttle before starting the engine and although it started easier it still juddered on tick over, so not so sure. That said once she is up and running no problems at all,I will bring it up with the stealer on my return to Blighty.

The coldest it has been is -9 and the warmest has been -3, would appear to be a cold start issue, will let the Glow Plugs do all their shenanighans tomorrow before cranking.
 D4 HSE Luxury SDV6,
Cameras, tow assist
Defender 90 Adventure
A4 Avant 3.0l TDI Twisted Evil
CLUB MTR
CLUB BLACK ALLOY
CLUB FFRR RIMS
CLUB VREDESTEIN WINTRAC 4 EXTREME 

Post #2397923rd Jan 2008 6:56 pm
espri

Austria 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

For the record, I should report that my D3 had its problems diagnosed today. I've put the details in the TDV6 Glowplugs thread linked above.

Post #2404034th Jan 2008 11:57 pm
SPOTTER

Hi Bogblaster, as a matter of interest how many miles has your D3 done as both mine and espris have done 50K?
Post #2418848th Jan 2008 9:14 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >