Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Squeaky Rear Brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4
Squeaky Rear Brakes

but only in reverse...it's driving SWIMBO mad! I've not checked pad thickness, but would have thought it would squeak going towards too if it was warn?

I am not going to be looking either in this weather! Any ideas?
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY12 D4 HSE - been and gome
MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #138695910th Dec 2014 5:40 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Pads will likely be seized in the carriers, or worn down Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #138697610th Dec 2014 5:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks....thought it might be this Sad

Time for new pads then....anyone recommended in the Cambridgeshire (St Neots or Cambridge) area for this, or should I have a crack at this myself?

One question, if doing it yourself, will a C clamp work to retract the piston or do you need a special tool?
 Sill protection - LED internal lights - LED reverse lights - boot liner - Dog Guard - Rock sliders

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #138698610th Dec 2014 6:11 pm
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'll bow to Mikeys superior knowledge but mine were squeaking when reversing especially just after releasing park brake and backing off the drive (very annoying) stripped the Epb a bit and gave it a good clean and readjusted the tensioner and it's been silent as a mouse (minus the squeak) for a few weeks now Thumbs Up

Post #138715110th Dec 2014 9:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr.Tom

Top tips, thanks. I will have to look at Bodsy Brake Bible as the EPB is new for me...

The symptoms described are exactly the same as what I have, squeaking when setting off in reverse having released the EPB

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #138724711th Dec 2014 12:13 am
DiscoJake

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yep read the brake bible Bow down
They get clogged up with road salt and mud etc and it even advises on service sheet to clean and adjust Epb after 50 miles off road or arduous conditions (kielder Whistle)

Basic tools required, approx an hour per side to strip and clean + adjust including jacking up and removing wheel which seems to be the worst bit of any disco job Thumbs Up

Post #138726811th Dec 2014 1:23 am
Mr.Tom

It's now stopped!

However, it did prompt me to look through the wheels at the state of the disks and they have a nice lip on the inside and outside edge, so guess they need replacing all around.

Does Geoff cover this far? Currently debating buying a new jack and tools to do it myself or getting someone to do this.....

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #138751511th Dec 2014 3:07 pm
Mr.Tom

How much would replacement pads and discs be inc. Fitting? I know they are about £130 a set from AF

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #138786211th Dec 2014 10:22 pm
Mr.Tom

Not got all the tools to have the rear pads and disc off, missing a few sockets, having read the brake bible first, so just popped off the rear right wheel and nothing obvious, seems the pads are OK and the discs are not too bad, but with a slight lop to them, say 1mm or so.

As I cannot repeat the squeal, which had been going on for a while, I will right it off as crud in the EPB.

MY16 D4 Landmark 

Post #138907513th Dec 2014 7:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >