Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Spongy brake pedal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
furnitureman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Spongy brake pedal

As the title says I have a spongy break pedal, over the last year I have replaced all brake parts with the v8 upgrade including new callipers and flexible pipes and a full fluid flush, I did have some sticking callipers but after 230k that was understandable, the brakes had the recall work done before I bought the car, the brakes are better but the pedal does not give me any confidence, I have read on here there is a way to see if there is oil present in the master cylinder but for the life of me I can’t find it.

My main question is if I take it to a main dealer would it still be covered under the original recall if there is oil present in the master cylinder

Any help or advise gratefully received [/list]
 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 TDV8 what a car
Discovery 3 HSE 2006 gone but never forgotten
Member of the 234,567 mile club😎

Post #198515321st Sep 2018 7:21 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

To check for oil, pop out the vac pipe from the servo and use a cable tie as a dipstick to check for oil.
The grommet on mine was bloody tight and awkward to get out, plus I was afraid my hamfisted way with things meant I would break it!

Post #198515421st Sep 2018 7:26 am
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Spongy brake pedal

furnitureman wrote:
As the title says I have a spongy break pedal, over the last year I have replaced all brake parts with the v8 upgrade including new callipers and flexible pipes and a full fluid flush, I did have some sticking callipers but after 230k that was understandable, the brakes had the recall work done before I bought the car, the brakes are better but the pedal does not give me any confidence, I have read on here there is a way to see if there is oil present in the master cylinder but for the life of me I can’t find it.

My main question is if I take it to a main dealer would it still be covered under the original recall if there is oil present in the master cylinder

oil in the servo does not give a soft spongy pedal you get a hard pedal as if the engines not running
springy spongy pedal is caused by either flexy hoses expanding,poor quality brake pads wrong type brake fluid,pads not yet bedded in or are you just used to having a hard pedal before and now you think there is a prob being spongy could you just be experiencing brake "feel" now there working as they should
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #198525221st Sep 2018 2:30 pm
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I had a slightly springy feeling pedal that I eventually tracked down to the calliper pins sticking on one wheel. They were not sticking on, but not allowing the calliper to float property. I agree oil in the servo reduces assistance and will give a harder pedal.

Post #198526021st Sep 2018 3:07 pm
furnitureman

Re: Spongy brake pedal

eightfoot wrote:
furnitureman wrote:

oil in the servo does not give a soft spongy pedal you get a hard pedal as if the engines not running
springy spongy pedal is caused by either flexy hoses expanding,poor quality brake pads wrong type brake fluid,pads not yet bedded in or are you just used to having a hard pedal before and now you think there is a prob being spongy could you just be experiencing brake "feel" now there working as they

should

To be fair the pedal was never hard, I’ve got new flexible pipes, new callipers and new brake pads (mintex) flushed with fresh oil but it was from an opened 5l can so I can assume it has taken on some moisture I think to eliminate the oil I’ll get a fresh few bottles and flush again, what is the recommended oil it says dot 4 on the lid

Post #198528121st Sep 2018 4:12 pm
eightfoot

mintex pads are rather budget pads that's prob your problem (hard pads normally = springy pedal),fluid cant remember what you need but do a search its listed here somewhere think its low viscocity got mine from europarts 5ltrs cost about £25 I will go look to see the spec needed

ATE SL.6 DOT 4 FLUID got mine from eurocar parts just google you should find it ok (get some genuine pads much better than mintex)

when did you fit the pads (miles ago ?)

Post #198529421st Sep 2018 5:00 pm
lynalldiscovery

Im not saying it cant happen but ive not heard of hard pads causing a spongy brake pedal?

Whilst a knatts cock of water isnt good for longevity it also wont cause a spongy pedal, unless you are boiling the fluid down a mountain and as you are in Essex, I cant see that being an immediate issue Mr. Green

If you pump the pedal a couple of times with the engine running does it firm up? ie feel like you think the pedal should feel?

Post #198532621st Sep 2018 6:17 pm
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

+1 as above advice.
Spongy pedal can be a few things, but is likely caused by expanding flexible hoses or air in the system. If you've bled the system thro' recently with FLUID, and from an already opened bottle, then you should re bleed using new fluid of the correct type.
Check this carefully as they are not necessarily compatible with each other.

As you have had the system 'open' recently, a re bleed would be my advice.

Mintex are perfectly acceptable brake pads.
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #198542822nd Sep 2018 7:26 am
L319

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If you have got air into the ABS modulator, it may need activating to get it out. Just normal bleeding wont achieve that.

Post #198545022nd Sep 2018 9:08 am
furnitureman

Always thought mintex were a premium brand, I think a flush using my iid tool to do it via the abs with new oil is the way forward, if I press the brake pedal down several times it hardens up initially then slowly sinks I think it’s been like this a while, thanks for all the help

Post #198546022nd Sep 2018 9:54 am
lynalldiscovery

That doesnt sound like air, if you pump it and it goes hard and stays hard all the time you keep your foot on the pedal then its a mechanical problem, ie a sticky calliper piston or slider, if you pump it and it goes hard but then goes soft with your foot on the pedal its most likely suspect is the master cylinder.

I cant see Mintex being an issue and again certainly wont cause your spongy pedal, that is bar stall mechanics talk.

Post #198562123rd Sep 2018 8:28 am
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

"if I press the brake pedal down several times it hardens up initially then slowly sinks"

As above... Master Cylinder.
FLUID is passing the seals and allowing pedal to sink.
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #198563023rd Sep 2018 9:06 am
eightfoot

how many miles have you done on the new discs and pads? if its not a lot then the pads (mintex being hard) don't bed in for a long time thus causing a springy/spongy pedal,the last time I put pads in my disco the pedal was hard and at the top without the engine running but almost went to the floor with engine running for a day or two till they bedded in

maybe barstool mechanics but that's what happens that's why when you fit new pads your pedal is soft until you bed in

my personal experience is that mintex seem to be the worst for causing this because they are really hard and last forever but hey change the fluid and see how you get on

Post #198563123rd Sep 2018 9:32 am
furnitureman

Disks were new earlier on in year pads last week i have just tried to use the iid to bleed the brakes and almost Censored myself it said do rear left so I did and it went into -time then front left and again into - time then front right this is where it went pear shaped after 29 seconds the abs went mad (it didn’t go off once for the other 2) it just keeps buzzing away and all the lights came on on the dash so I switched everything off expecting the worse but when I turned on all lights out and a better feeling brake pedal but I chickened out on using the iid for the rear right for now, I’ve read this has happened before have gap fixed it as I’m sure I have the latest software

Post #198569423rd Sep 2018 3:56 pm
FISHBOY

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Bardley wrote:
"if I press the brake pedal down several times it hardens up initially then slowly sinks"

As above... Master Cylinder.
FLUID is passing the seals and allowing pedal to sink.

Did new Ferodo pads all round yesterday.

Bled rear left, then right then front left and front right and the pedal would still hit the floor.

Watched a few utube vids saying you should go to the back two again and bleed, so we did.

Anyway took for a drive and broke ok, however pedal was lower than usual. While stationary it went down almost 2/3rds - is this to be expected from new pads all round?

Reading above - how do you reset the ABS modulator without an electronic gadget? 50mph lock up?
 Last of the D4 HSE...  
Post #206009510th Jun 2019 2:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >