DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Split charge vs Jump pack?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
thepurser

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4
Split charge vs Jump pack?

Hi all,
Will be working awy from home over Xmas, (occupational hazard) and want to avoid the battery issues I had with my previous car.
Basically I travel to Bristol and then use the car once a week to travel home and back. All journeys will be at night and the car will be sat in secure, (I hope) parking during the week so a small solar trickle charger is not an option, (nor is a plug in maintainer).
Had a very similar situation last year and it ended up killing the battery on my Sorento. Wouldn't have minded but the battery wasn't that old to start with and typically I couldn't find the warranty for it when I needed it.
Thank god for the AA to jump start me and next day delivery on a replacement battery.
Don't need a split charge system at the moment but would be a nice addition in the future so may be time to do it now?
Alternatively would one of the Lithium jump packs be a wise investment?
What would you all recommend? What would be best long term for the health of the battery?

Post #199451524th Oct 2018 4:36 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I keep a jumper pack on board permanently. It is plugged into the cig lighter socket so its constantly charged while the vehicle is running. There are others on here who have the split charge system which obviously suits their needs.

So its a case of what will meet your own needs best.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #199453124th Oct 2018 5:34 pm
thepurser

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 4

My thoughts are that a decent jump pack that would handle the D4 is going to cost at least £100. That's a fair chunk towards a split charge system. It also takes some pressure off the Crank battery for future mods and general drain.

Any hints as to how much a reasonable split charge costs? Not planning to run power to the rear. Just for accessories, Crank maintenance / assist etc. Tempted to run an Anderson to the Grille as an option.

Post #199477225th Oct 2018 10:32 am
James W

United Kingdom 

I have a split charge but mostly for use when camping (fridge, etc.)

My Disco often sits for 1 or 2 weeks at a time as I travel for work most weeks but using trains. I avoid using it for short trips at the weekends to reduce wear. My point is that I've only ever had a problem starting after leaving it for 1 or 2 weeks in winter when the main starter battery wasn't in good health. With a new battery all was well.

Sometimes it's better to cure the disease not the symptoms so check you have a good battery. However, if you still want peace of mind a split charge is handy but don't under-budget on your 2nd battery. It will need to be able to handle cranking not just running fridges etc. I use an Odyssey battery which is sold as being suitable for both cranking and deep-cycle uses. Also factor the faff of fitting it. If you don't plan on ever using the 2nd battery for anything other than starting in an emergency I'd personally just get a boost pack.

James
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #199477425th Oct 2018 10:41 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >