Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Spare wheel winch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
KiwiD4

New Zealand 2011 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
Spare wheel winch

Sorry, a little bit of a rant. It is D4 related, so that’s why it’s here. Evil or Very Mad

So, I decided tonight, on the eve of a 3 day, 1,000 km return trip to see the father in law, that I really should check the pressure of the spare wheel, since I never actually have in the 8 months of ownership.

I thought I would save myself some pain and just take the wheel off the mount at home. That was all fine, loaded it in the back and office went to the service station. It did need a little bit of air, so that was good.

Got back home, went to lower the winch to put the wheel back. Gets half way and stops. It’s almost low enough, I thought, to get the wheel on. So, lying on my back on the garage floor for half an hour, trying to get that stupid mount through the centre hole, while holding the tyre up to the Disco. Much swearing and cursing ensued, but the wheel is not going back.

Only saving grace was I was doing it on my own garage floor, not on the side of a road somewhere!

So, I come in and do some searching on the forum, only to find this is a really common issue, and has been an issue since the D3 came out. You should always have weight on the cable or it jams up, and while it can be cracked open, it seems easier just to replace it.

Now the real rant. What a stupid Censored design that winch is! I can’t believe that they kept it in the D3 for so long, let alone over to the D4. Even if it was working, scrambling around in the snow and mud would suck! Really makes me miss the D2 with the door mounted spare, even though I simply wouldn’t put a tailgate mount on the D4. I guess I want it all ways! Not only is the winching poor design, that stupid Censored mount that on,y just goes through the centre hole is the pits as well!

I really shouldn’t be surprised given the awful design of the jack, but still. It seems JLR don’t think that Discos will never get punctures, so why put even an ounce of thought into the design of the tools to change a tyre.

I’m having enough trouble finding a bottle jack low enough to go under the car while still being able to lift high enough. They are scarce as hens teeth down here. I may have to try and recondition my old D2 jack - then try and find somewhere to store it.

So, instead of the D4, we will be setting off in the mighty Mazda tomorrow instead. Luckily that’s a fantastic car to drive over the Alpine pass anyway - as long as it doesn’t snow. Shouldn’t do, technically we have only just gone in to autumn.

So, rant over. Thanks for listening. Or not.

Twisted Evil
 King of the typo.

MY11 D4 5.0 V8, Bournville, lots of goodies!

Now departed: '85 RR Vogue, '94 D1, '95 D1, '70 SIIA, '97 D1, '04 D2a. All V8, except for the SIIA - but that drank as much petrol anyway! 

Post #192932123rd Mar 2018 10:09 am
D4mation

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

You might be able to get a flexible tyre valve extension to check the pressure.

Personally I carry a 6 inch lump of timber that I can sit under the side of the wheel before it reaches the ground, so's I can get my hand in to release the flange from the end of the cable.

Over here there is a third party security plate that has enough weight to ensure the cable doesn't tangle after you remove the wheel to take it in for tyre repair/replacement. Member on here makes them - RLD.

But I agree it's pants, and as for the jack - it's a health and safety nightmare Shocked
I would never use it at the roadside and would call out my breakdown company. Only to be used in emergencies when in the back of beyond.
 MY12 D4 HSE Ipanema Sand  
Post #192942923rd Mar 2018 4:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >