DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Spare Wheel Protector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Sparky73

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
Spare Wheel Protector

Hi All,

Now this may be a very dumb question but my 2014 D4 is telling me my spare tyre needs air... looking underneath I can see the spare wheel etc so all good..... the dumb part of this question is that ot has a spare wheel plastic protector on it (LR078960) ...do I take that off first? If so, how does it come off? I only need to put air in the tyre but do I have to remove the whole spare wheel? as in lower it from inside the boot?...

Thanks in anticipation....
 MY2014 Discovery 4 XS - Loire Blue
2004 4.0 V8 Discovery 2 - Sadly Gone
2004 2.7 D HSE Discovery 3 - Gone
Series 3 - Went Many Moons ago 

Post #236900617th May 2024 6:18 pm
Oxford-boy

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hello,

This will be in the manual but yes, you'll need to lower the whole wheel to access the valve and maybe remove the plastic wheel protector to do so but maybe you can wriggle it loose and just access the valve?

Be careful to keep the lowering cable under tension or it has a nasty habit of 'birdnesting' inside the bodywork and then you'll have to replace the whole thing.

Longer term, you can get an extension tube for the spare wheel valve so you can keep it inflated without lowering it. have a read here for further info:

https://disco4.com/forum/topic132309.html

Thumbs Up
 Jim

2014 Discovery 4 XXV SDV6 Causeway Grey
2016 Discovery 4 HSE Lux SDV6 Loire Blue - now gone 

Post #236912819th May 2024 11:31 am
kevofcov

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Just my pennies worth.

2016 D4 SDV6

SWMBO has been running fine for eight years with no spare wheel pressure warnings. Recently she has been getting a ‘spare needs air’ message . The only thing that has changed is that her annual mileage has fallen off a cliff – 21,000 miles a year to 7,000 miles. Toooo many very low miles trips.

I know that this new message is due to a reduced average battery voltage change flagging up spurious messages - nothing to do with the air pressure of the spare wheel. How am so I sure? Because the first thing I did when I got the car is to remove the factory spare and replace it with a tatty D3 19” spare. For all these years the car has not cared that the spare has no TPMS….

Give the battery a good charge and see if the message goes away (I am also getting ‘water in fuel’ messages – a long journey and these both go away)
Could also be a sign that you need a new battery. Lots on this forum about weak batteries causing spurious messages.

Post #236915819th May 2024 7:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >