Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Spare wheel bay - thick rubber stoppers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mr Andrew

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Spare wheel bay - thick rubber stoppers

Advice please - I am trying to get my 265/70/17 to fit in the underbody spare wheel bay. Fully inflated its not going to happen, but I have read on the forum somewhere that if deflated a bit, it can fit. But my question - in the spare wheel bay, there are 4 circular rubber stoppers, which bear onto the tyre sidewall when the tyre is winched up into position. These are thick - nearly 1 inch. Is there any known downside to taking these out, and therefore having the spare pulled up closer? Thanks, Andrew

Post #2007899th Sep 2007 12:07 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I havn't had a good look but they are there to stop the spare being worn through.
I like your thinking but it would be better to replace with thinner stops and mmake sure itdoes not rub on anthing hard elsewhere.
Let us know what you finas it could mean the tyre coulsa half inch higher. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2007999th Sep 2007 12:50 pm
Mr Andrew

Thanks Caver, good thought. The stops could easily be cut down, if I make progress I will post photos and let you know how I get on.
PS: I like your removable intake!

Post #20121910th Sep 2007 12:14 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Thanks, must be an ozi thing. Very Happy
sepos just don't understand. Laughing
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #20124510th Sep 2007 1:04 pm
Mr Andrew

Did some work over the weekend, I let the tyre down to 15psi, and I can now confirm that a Cooper ATR LT265/70/17 will snugly fit in the spare wheel well. (eg, I had to carefull push it up into there - not drag with the winch - and it will only come out if you pull it). I am very happy, so no need for higher COG with hefty tyre mounted way out back on the rear door.
Re the stoppers, with the tyre at 15psi the stoppers gently indent into the sidewall, so practically the tyre is as recessed as it can ever be. Total removal is unwise, I have discovered, as there are lots of unsympathic folds and seams in the metal that would kill the tyre - its not at all flat etc.
This solution for your spare means that you need to have a compresor, but I have one mounted under the bonnet now so its a great solution for me. And the theory is that these Coopers never, ever get punctures...

Post #20488818th Sep 2007 1:30 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Mr Andrew,

What type of compressor do you have fitted under the bonnet ?
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #20490618th Sep 2007 2:04 pm
Mr Andrew

Bushranger Max Air II, mounted on an aluminium plate in front of the battery box and to the rear of the headlight & cooland bottles. When my camera is happy again, I will get some shots.
http://www.bushranger.com.au/maxair_2_compressor.php

Post #20539119th Sep 2007 1:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >